• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week 1: Panthers vs Falcons

TheCasillas

37 minutes ago, Puresteel55 said:

I realize that we have not been a very good team for a while, trust me, I’ve suffered through every minute of it.

My point is that there is normally a considerable difference in team quality between the 9th pick and the 1st. Not saying that is the case with us this year.

On paper, at the time of the draft, Bryce was going to a team with a solid O Line, top 15 defense, proven veteran talent at TE and WR, a 2nd round rookie talent at WR and an all star coaching staff. This is not the normal situation for a #1 overall pick at QB.

Unfortunately, it hasn’t panned out like we would have hoped and our team is currently mired in dysfunction and it appears the pain is destined to continue.

I truly hope I am wrong.

Cam Newton walked into a better offensive environment than Bryce is by a large margin. 

Cam won 6 games while doing insane stuff as a individual. 

I just think people should sit back and enjoy Bryce Young learning and growing.  Winning isn't what 2023 is about.   

• Pie 3

20 hours ago, WestPanthers said:

Lower down your expectation and will easy your Sunday afternoon, folks. 

With the Rookie QB, new coaching staff on both side, BB in questions and the slow start history by Frank Reich, unfortunately I believe home team Falcons will take the game 1.

Falcons - 27

Panthers -13

our rookie QB is leading the staff in their game planning meetings, though

Panthers 5,683

Falcons 3

we just miss the shut out 

Edited by Mother Grabber

This team is coached at a level that surpasses the three other teams in our division.  Bryce is more polished than Ritter.  Even without Burns, our defense is, at worst, even.  

We have better pass coverage and better linebackers.  If TMJ or Chark play, we have an advantage in the receiving game.  Offensive line play is at worst a slight advantage to Atlanta.  

I imagine this being a close game, but anything outside of a win would be a legitimate disappointment.

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

does anybody know if there is a new Falcons message board?

Who is there fan that checks in here on game weeks....would like to know how there fans feel heading into this weekend, especially the injury report

Not a forum but some stuff here:

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2023/9/6/23859787/what-to-know-about-falcons-vs-panthers-in-week-1-frank-reich-bryce-young-arthur-smith-kyle-pitts

What is that all going to add up to? For the 2023 season, the Panthers may be in a similar position to the 2022 Falcons: Improving in terms of the on-field product without actually exceeding the previous year’s win total. I’m especially dubious about Carolina’s improvements on offense, where they’re counting on good health and big contributions from rookies and players who need to improve significantly to raise the floor and ceiling of one of the league’s more forgettable 2022 offenses. They’ll get there eventually if Young is any good, as he should be, but the early returns are unlikely to be pretty.

The Panthers offense has potential, but also more question marks than Riddler’s pajamas.

It’s hard to imagine a group with this many question marks putting on a fireworks show against Atlanta, so it will be a good—but should not be a strenuous—test of the Falcons’ defense. There just isn’t enough here yet, especially with some suspect links along the offensive line, to feel like Carolina’s offense is going to come out of the gate ready to score 25 points.

And the Falcons themselves? We’ve spent an offseason talking about them, but they’re effectively matchup-proof as a run game with Bijan Robinson,

This is in many ways an ideal first game for Atlanta, as it pits an improved squad against a scrappy divisional rival they should beat. It’s all about how hot the Falcons start and how real their 2023 improvement is, and Carolina is just talented and well-coached enough to steal one away if the Falcons are slow and sloppy to begin the year. Make no mistake, though: This should be the dawn of a new era in Atlanta, and they should start 1-0 for the first time in a long while.

So....here's hoping the Panther offense scores 25+ points and  the match-up proof Robinson has under 100 yds, a lost fumble, and drops 2 passes.

• Pie 1

Falcons CB Jeff Okudah (ankle) missed Wednesday’s practice.

Okudah has been dealing with an ankle injury since early August, but was on track for an “early season” return according to head coach Arthur Smith. Smith didn’t specify whether or not Okudah would play in Week 1 against the Panthers, but it sounds like he’s trending toward being out given his start to the week. We’ll see if he’s able to suit up for either of the final two days of practice.
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, I would assume all the other QBs drafted #1 overall were viewed as very special too. 

and even the made in a lab, most NFL ready Madden types like Peyton, Luck and Trevor lost opening week.  

NFL is hard.

Peyton won only 1 game as a rookie tossing like 37 interceptions which i think he was tanking to help his team draft better players to win in the long run. Troy Aikman won only 1 game as a rookie too to get better players in the draft which got them 4 SB in his career. Should Bryce do the same thing in his rookie season. If he has an awful season, we will know why and not cause he is a bust.

• Poo 1

13 minutes ago, GhostWhispah said:

Peyton won only 1 game as a rookie tossing like 37 interceptions which i think he was tanking to help his team draft better players to win in the long run. Troy Aikman won only 1 game as a rookie too to get better players in the draft which got them 4 SB in his career. Should Bryce do the same thing in his rookie season. If he has an awful season, we will know why and not cause he is a bust.

Peyton Manning rewrote the rookie passing record book across the board as a passer.   That’s not him intentionally tanking lol.