• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The preseason performances has left a bad taste in a lot pundits mouths

GoobyPls

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't get it, either.  Preseason results have become more irrelevant as time has gone on.  They were never all that relevant to start with.  And in this case, we were told not to try and make any sense out of it, yet people do.

Then this nonsense about teams going 0-3 not having regular season success is completely refuted by the limited results we have seen.  Yet it keeps coming up.

I'm not even convinced we can draw a lot of conclusions by what teams do in the first three or four weeks of the regular season, let alone preseason.  Hell, the 49ers took almost half the season to pull themselves together last year.  Granted, that is the exception, but it happens.

We could stink.  We could be this year's Cinderella team.  Most likely the reality will be somewhere in between, but we have no idea right now and won't for a few weeks.

Yet, the narrative continues.  Some people just aren't happy unless they are not happy.

It's like just because there are no tweets coming out of practice. The time is just wasted, so of course we are going to sux.

Too many people still living in the past. They just know that history is going to repeat itself so why not be ready for it? 

I get it. For far too many. If they ain't happy, they don't want you to be happy either.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

It's like just because there are no tweets coming out of practice. The time is just wasted, so of course we are going to sux.

Too many people still living in the past. They just know that history is going to repeat itself so why not be ready for it? 

I get it. For far too many. If they ain't happy, they don't want you to be happy either.

I get it, and it is easy to fall into "we've seen this before."  I fight that same temptation, before taking a breath and realizing we fooled ourselves into thinking "we were one player away" for several years while Hurney was out signing guys that were that one player.....three or four seasons before.

We saw good teams coached into mediocre or fair teams.  For the last two seasons (one and five games, actually) we saw a team that talent didn't matter, because we had a coach who would have made the '72 Dolphins or '89 49ers struggle to hit .500.

Then you realize that the architects of all those things are not around anymore.  I don't think the stadium is built on an ancient burial grounds and we are haunted and condemned to failure.

I'm not expecting great things.  In my ideal world, we get better and mature as the season goes on.  If we end 2023 looking forward to 2024, I'm happy.  The real saving grace I see is our division is not exactly a juggernaut, so almost anything is possible for anybody, except maybe Tampa.

Some of the critics have valid points.  I tend to agree with @CRA regarding how far along in the whole building process we are.  Like him, I am not bummed out about it.  Improvement has to start from some baseline.  We had a buffoon running the show for over two full seasons, there is a price to be paid for that.  I'm just along for the ride.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I get it, and it is easy to fall into "we've seen this before."  I fight that same temptation, before taking a breath and realizing we fooled ourselves into thinking "we were one player away" for several years while Hurney was out signing guys that were that one player.....three or four seasons before.

We saw good teams coached into mediocre or fair teams.  For the last two seasons (one and five games, actually) we saw a team that talent didn't matter, because we had a coach who would have made the '72 Dolphins or '89 49ers struggle to hit .500.

Then you realize that the architects of all those things are not around anymore.  I don't think the stadium is built on an ancient burial grounds and we are haunted and condemned to failure.

I'm not expecting great things.  In my ideal world, we get better and mature as the season goes on.  If we end 2023 looking forward to 2024, I'm happy.  The real saving grace I see is our division is not exactly a juggernaut, so almost anything is possible for anybody, except maybe Tampa.

Some of the critics have valid points.  I tend to agree with @CRA regarding how far along in the whole building process we are.  Like him, I am not bummed out about it.  Improvement has to start from some baseline.  We had a buffoon running the show for over two full seasons, there is a price to be paid for that.  I'm just along for the ride.

I can see how someone could be concerned about our depth. But we have talent all over the field with our starters. If it all comes together, and Bryce has a ROY type year. Yeah, I can see us making some serious noise this year.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, jtm said:

A lot riding on today’s game. If the Panthers look unprepared like they did in the preseason, the pile on will begin. If the Panthers look good, the playoff talk will resume. 

Playoffs? Remember 2021 with Rhule when we started 3-0? There was talk of bye weeks and how we could get the top seed.

On 9/9/2023 at 4:47 PM, Gerry Green said:

I don't understand why folks are so up in arms over preseason. We were told they were going to put players in no win situations. None of us no what they wanted, or if they got what they were looking for. Evaluation.

Well, seems to have played out about the same as we saw in preseason, didn't it? This is why people were concerned. Same poo, different game, different coaching staff, different QB. 

On 9/8/2023 at 12:56 PM, GoobyPls said:

I’ve listen to a ton of nfl/sports podcast and one thing I’ve noticed over the last month is that the preseason performance has completely shifted everyone opinion on us. Guys like Bill Simmons, Cowherd, Simms,  the PFF and bootleg football have all soured on the team. At one point they were all saying we might be sneaky playoff team 2 months ago, now we are giving the bears a top 5 pick and finishing last in the south 

Never knew people put that muck stock into preseason

I mean, nobody really does but I will say in the last decade when the panthers look like poo in preseason they generally look like poo when the season starts. 

39 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Well, seems to have played out about the same as we saw in preseason, didn't it? This is why people were concerned. Same poo, different game, different coaching staff, different QB. 

But it wasn't the same poo. The O-line looked like a pro Online today. Moreover, we didn't have a turnover problem in the preseason. And, our starters on the D-line actuallyade a difference.

Our problem today was largely inexperience and a lack of chemistry. If you tell that the rookies should've been given more snaps during the preseason, or that maybe Reich should have opened it up a little more, then I'd say that's about the only substantive way that preseason maybe affected us. Going 0-3 in the preseason was largely meaningless. 

53 minutes ago, top dawg said:

But it wasn't the same poo. The O-line looked like a pro Online today. Moreover, we didn't have a turnover problem in the preseason. And, our starters on the D-line actuallyade a difference.

Our problem today was largely inexperience and a lack of chemistry. If you tell that the rookies should've been given more snaps during the preseason, or that maybe Reich should have opened it up a little more, then I'd say that's about the only substantive way that preseason maybe affected us. Going 0-3 in the preseason was largely meaningless. 

I think it was a big mistake to limit the plays of starters in preseason. You see above and before that preseason was for evaluation. Obviously, not showing our hand to Atlanta was meaningless but it sure looked like our chemistry and preparation needs more work. With a rookie and new staff and all the low expectations we’ve now been told, the preseason was more important for us to get our poo together instead of hiding our great plays. Hiding means you think we can get to the playoffs and need wins in weeks 1 and 2. Conflicting messages. 

Edited by WhoKnows