• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

These types of Referee blunders are 100% unacceptable

KillerKat

4 hours ago, hepcat said:

I think collectively as a fanbase we are less mad about the piss poor calls because the Panthers were comfortably losing this game no matter what happened, but I agree these particular calls were atrocious especially the horse collar tackle. That 100% should have been a redo of the down. 

IMO offsetting penalties should be overhauled.  

First, they should only offset if the yardage penalty is the same.  A 15 yarder vs a 5 yarder should be a net penalty application.

Second, personal fouls should always take precedence over any other foul and only be offsetting if both teams are flagged.  Matters of player safety should always be penalized! 

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, Newtcase said:

IMO offsetting penalties should be overhauled.  

First, they should only offset if the yardage penalty is the same.  A 15 yarder vs a 5 yarder should be a net penalty application.

Second, personal fouls should always take precedence over other any other foul and only be offsetting if both teams are flagged.  Matters of player safety should always be penalized! 

The NFL makes some things harder than it should be.

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

So when is a good time to talk about it? When we win despite 3-4 game changing calls? That rarely happens as I mentioned before. The topic is about atrocious calls, win or lose. You are offering a different discussion than is being offered here.

Maybe if it’s a 3 point game but we lost by two scores.

I'm convinced we're cursed.  Period.  The poo that happened in Super Bowl 50 and the following season opener, hell, pretty much Cam's entire tenure here, I HAVE NEVER SEEN HAPPEN IN OTHER GAMES.  Same as KK said in the OP, I've been watching and playing football since the early 90s and keep up with the rule changes year to year and I can't count the number of times I saw a call made for the first and only time against us.  I know the NFL can't completely control outcomes of games, but they definitely can heavily influence them to their liking, completely stacking the odds against us to where they all but do control it - see the aforementioned Super Bowl 50.

Yesterday was yet another example.  I also recall us at one point, I believe during the Cam years, have offsetting penalties where they also said our personal foul penalty took precedent and canceled out the opponent's personal foul, and thus they enforced the 15 on us and not them.  Also during those years, I also remember Cam getting roughed and they claimed a hold on us canceled out the personal foul on them, and iirc, it was a headshot.  The NFL does NOT give a poo - they don't regulate it, and at the end of the day, they're always gonna side with the refs.  And the officials have free reign to make up the rules as they go.

And we're never going to be on the favored end of these calls.  Period.  Accept it.

• Pie 2

When you're a successful organization with a history of winning, filling your house with your fans, and a roster of savvy vets, you'll get those calls. There's a reason Magic Johnson could take 5 steps to the hoop, Tom Brady got roughing the passer calls every time he yelled for one, the Kansas City O-line holds and false starts, LeBron doesn't get tee'd up ever time he yells at refs for a call. 

Winning cures a lot.

How there can be any scenario where a returner gets horse collared BADLY at the 1 yard line, and the receiving team then starts at that 1 yard line is beyond me. I don’t care if one of our blockers shot one of their guys during the return. You either rekick or get the extra 15 yards, it’s unbelievable this rule could exist if accurately called yesterday. 

• Pie 2