• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms on Bryce Young

NAS

Even Chris Simms who was notoriously a  Bryce doubter came out of this game with mostly positive takeaways about Bryce Young.

Interesting that he doesn't even think the interceptions were that horrible, Bryce was expecting the safety to go deep but because we don't have a deep threat the free safety played more shallow than he expected. 

As he said, this is the NFL and I'm sure Bryce will learn from this experience.  

DJ Chark getting healthy is the most important thing for this offense, there has to be a vertical threat to this offense and Bryce needs to make some deep throws to keep these safeties from crowding the middle of the field.

Watch from 57:38.  

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

The first INT wasn't horrible, Bates is a great safety with quick breaking skills.  One step later for Jesse, that would have been a completion or at least not an INT. 

The second one though, that was a bad throw by Bryce.   Same spot, same defender in the area and led the receiver too much. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly didn't see much to get excited about but didn't see anything to panic about either. We'll see how he develops.

I was excited early on in the first drive, and the drive that resulted in a touchdown.  I thought Bryce looked really good then, it's something to build on.  

NFL is a brutal league, Joe Burrow threw for 80 yards yesterday - Joe freaking Burrow.  

• Pie 6
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, NAS said:

Even Chris Simms who was notoriously a  Bryce doubter came out of this game with mostly positive takeaways about Bryce Young.

Interesting that he doesn't even think the interceptions were that horrible, Bryce was expecting the safety to go deep but because we don't have a deep threat the free safety played more shallow than he expected. 

As he said, this is the NFL and I'm sure Bryce will learn from this experience.  

DJ Chark getting healthy is the most important thing for this offense, there has to be a vertical threat to this offense and Bryce needs to make some deep throws to keep these safeties from crowding the middle of the field.

Watch from 57:38.  

I mean, Chark would help.  But he isn't reliable to really count on.  Just a bonus. 

and it's the modern day NFL.  You can't really just have 1 person that can go vertical either.  I mean, you aren't' going to have a roster of Tyreek Hills but most teams have more than one human that can challenge teams deep to an extent. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly didn't see much to get excited about but didn't see anything to panic about either. We'll see how he develops.

Exactly. It was about as typical of a first start as you will find. There are always anomalies (i.e. Cam in 2011), but this entire season will have ups and downs. There are things to build on, but our expectations should be pretty low given the current makeup of our roster.

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

I mean, Chark would help.  But he isn't reliable to really count on.  Just a bonus. 

and it's the modern day NFL.  You can't really just have 1 person that can go vertical either.  I mean, you aren't' going to have a roster of Tyreek Hills but most teams have more than one human that can challenge teams deep to an extent. 

NFL is a game of margins .  Sometimes, one player can make all the difference.  We sure could have used him yesterday.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Chark simply cannot be relied on. In fact, we need to just stop mentioning him altogether.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, NAS said:

I was excited early on in the first drive, and the drive that resulted in a touchdown.  I thought Bryce looked really good then, it's something to build on.  

NFL is a brutal league, Joe Burrow threw for 80 yards yesterday - Joe freaking Burrow.  

Joe also had an awful first game for Cincinatti. 

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The first INT wasn't horrible, Bates is a great safety with quick breaking skills.  One step later for Jesse, that would have been a completion or at least not an INT. 

The second one though, that was a bad throw by Bryce.   Same spot, same defender in the area and led the receiver too much. 

My thoughts exactly. First pick was more a great play by the safety than a bad read by Bryce.

Second one though was a bad throw/decision and like he didn't even see him.

Bryce went through full field reads the entire game, which is something not many rookies can do their first game. If receivers could actually get open I have faith he'll find them eventually. 

• Pie 8