• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nobody's going long?

Mr. Scot

20 minutes ago, t96 said:

He dominated in his era and would dominate in any era. One of the most underrated WRs ever. Put up the 8th most career receiving yards (and probably could've gotten to top 3 if he wanted to keep playing) and that was despite mostly having pretty bad QB play and always playing in a run first offense focused more on D and ball control to win games. It's a joke that he wasn't first ballot HoF

I don't care how much of a homer it makes me sound like when I say that Steve Smith with Peyton Manning would have had multiple 2000 yard seasons and would own every receiving yardage record imaginable.

• Pie 2

15 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I mean how many times a game can you say, everyone go deep?  You cannot run your receivers into the ground over a 17 game season and expect them to last.  Besides, there's only so many Jefferson level players available to choose from.

On the flip side, though, by not running regular deep routes, you aren't gassing the DBs either. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We hired a old head coach who has a old school playbook. Hb dive, HB draw, slant. Slant, HB, draw, Slant. HB dive, HB dive, slant.

Tepper makes these hires.

Expectations are low for a reason.

Yeeeaah...That's not how a West Coast Offense works, and it definitely isn't anything like Frank Reich or Thomas Brown's MO.

Hell, anybody who watched this past Sunday's game ought to know that.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

On the flip side, though, by not running regular deep routes, you aren't gassing the DBs either. 

What I'm saying is that you cannot focus your gameplan on nothing but deep routes.  It requires a balance as the defense can easily defend deep routes with a good pass rush.  Unless you have some really fast receivers the can get open deep within 2 seconds after the snap. 

Yac is going to be the phrase of the day for awhile just based on what colleges are turning out in the past half decade. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Defenses are built to rush the passer up front, and prevent the long bomb deep.  They know the rules are skewed in favor of offenses, so the only hope defenses have against elite offenses is to try to force more challenging situations in the red zone.  That means they're effectively allowing short yardage passing.  Combine that with the speed most defenses have up front and you are left with offenses basically taking what the defense will give them.

THIS.  

pass rushers are getting bigger faster stronger and offensive linemen haven’t evolved athletically as much to keep up.  That’s why the refs are letting them get away with holding and offsides more and more.

33 minutes ago, NAS said:

THIS.  

pass rushers are getting bigger faster stronger and offensive linemen haven’t evolved athletically as much to keep up.  That’s why the refs are letting them get away with holding and offsides more and more.

I don't think it's that they haven't evolved, it's more that there's only so far you can evolve when going backward. Offensive linemen have a much more difficult ask considering how much QBs move in the pocket, or out of it for that matter. 

5 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I've been noticing this for a while.  It's why QB's like Young can actually make a good living, and not die in the process.

You don't have to be 6'5" 240 any longer, you just have to be able to get the ball out on time, and accurately.  Smith with the Eagles wouldn't last 5 games 10 years ago...now, he can thrive.

I think thats kinda like the Point Guard mentality that people say Bryce plays with. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

What I'm saying is that you cannot focus your gameplan on nothing but deep routes.  It requires a balance as the defense can easily defend deep routes with a good pass rush.  Unless you have some really fast receivers the can get open deep within 2 seconds after the snap. 

Yac is going to be the phrase of the day for awhile just based on what colleges are turning out in the past half decade. 

Rare are the guys who are lightning fast AND have good hands. 

So very rare.

24 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Rare are the guys who are lightning fast AND have good hands. 

So very rare.

It is rare. Teams are going to have to adapt their offense over time just based on the availability of the type of players coming out of college.  I mean they already have to some extent over the years but it's more dramatic nowdays.

Some teams cannot develop players as well as others so they are always grabbing already developed FA's. But those guys are aging out of the league and there not making them in college anymore. 

Defensive skills positions are more abundant and are more athletic than in the past. The truly great offensive skils players are becoming few and far between.  It's more important now more than ever to have coaches that can identify and develop skill players, especially receivers, to be able to make the best of what players come out of college every year. It's getting harder to find players that fit the prototypical wr of just a few years ago. You better be able to adapt to an ever changing trend of athletes into a system that can win with ever changing rules that favor scoring. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1