• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What has Scott Fitterer done right?

hepcat

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The most important supporting cast for the quarterback in his first season is the offensive line. We've got that.

The skill players come next, but I don't expect those to be further addressed until next season unless something surprising happens.

We could have used that draft ammunition this year and next.  Would we have to trade up next year for a QB if we went the weapons route instead drafting Bryce?  Sure, but the loss of future draft stock would have been in 2025 and beyond when the team would be more complete.  I totally get why we were impatient and went QB this draft, losing sucks especially amid roster uncertainty, but I honestly feel we jumped the gun by a season.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, sure 😆

Basically, your view boils down to "I'll believe what I want to, facts be damned". If the reports don't match up to those beliefs, then you're just dismiss them because per your own words "David Tepper is right in the room with you".

You're also conveniently skipping over the fact that Tepper has defined his 'involvement". Specifically, he asks questions and tries to ensure that the process is solid, but neither makes nor tries to influence decisions regardless of his own feelings.

I'm surprised he didn't tell you that when he was sitting next to you 🤔

I mean, NFL teams aren't honest.  We know that.  You simply choose to treat Panther narratives they want set after the fact as the gospel.  I don't.  Have at it though. 

The Panthers would never say, yes, that reporting was correct.  Frank wanted X and Tepper wanted Y lol.  Every team is going to bullshit some agreement narrative 99% of the time.  Just like with each draft picks.  That kid is exactly who everyone wanted.  We all agreed.  He was #1 on everyone's board.   

You picking and choosing like the rest of us.  You just can't accept that.  I might listen to a long time NFL reporter.....but you are just listening to the Panther PR team.  You claiming one is fact.  I'm just acknowledging the reporter and that there are no real facts in most of these type discussions.  At least, while everyone is working together.  Real facts generally come out after everyone parts ways. 

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

There has been a lot of bad, and quite a bit of good...IMO.

Mixing control with Tepper and Rhule was a mess, but with Tepper and Rhule, it was always going to be so...so I'm going to go with OK in his first 2 years.  He was HAMSTRUNG, but also seemed to make plenty of bad calls on his own....I think.

That said, I do like the trajectory of this team, and front office currently.

I like Samir, Dan, and Fitts as a team....getting a better feel for this FO every year.

I like our current coaching staffs, and I like the fact that he helped convince Tepper to overspend on the staff, overspend on getting some QC guys in place (Dom and Jim), and I like that we have cornerstone pieces on our defensive and offensive lines to build on.

Overall, the players have been a mixed bag, the contracts haven't been back breaking, but the direction that we are headed looks brighter than the past 10 years.

I'm keeping the guy a while longer to see how this plays out.

I get the impression that's probably happening anyway.

Fitterer and Reich are both "consensus" types and they seem to work well together. That alone can buy you a couple of years...at leastThe fact that we're also just starting out with a brand new quarterback also lends toward patience.

So despite the emotional screaming, I get a sense that our current braintrust might be around for a while.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

We could have used that draft ammunition this year and next.  Would we have to trade up next year for a QB if we went the weapons route instead drafting Bryce?  Sure, but the loss of future draft stock would have been in 2025 and beyond when the team would be more complete.  I totally get why we were impatient and went QB this draft, losing sucks especially amid roster uncertainty, but I honestly feel we jumped the gun by a season.

The whole "wait till next year" debate has been around for a while.

At some point, it actually has to be this year.

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, NFL teams aren't honest.  We know that.  You simply choose to treat Panther narratives they want set after the fact as the gospel.  I don't.  Have at it though. 

The Panthers would never say, yes, that reporting was correct.  Frank wanted X and Tepper wanted Y lol.  Every team is going to bullshit some agreement narrative 99% of the time.  Just like with each draft picks.  That kid is exactly who everyone wanted.  We all agreed.  He was #1 on everyone's board.   

You picking and choosing like the rest of us.  You just can't accept that.  I might listen to a long time NFL reporter.....but you are just listening to the Panther PR team. 

This is your other tactic, suggesting that the people who say something other than what you believe are just parroting the team narrative, etc.

There have been plenty of times where what I thought happened turned out not to be what happened. No I could have stubbornly (and stupidly) said "nuh uh, I was still right anyway" but that'd be kind of silly.

The bottom line is you believe what you want to believe, facts be damned. You can accuse others of doing it all you want, but in reality that's just to make it easier to justify doing it yourself.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

See that hole "wait till next year" debate has been around for a while.

At some point, it actually has to be this year.

Yep and next draft was the "this year" for me.  I just hope with the patchwork offensive supporting cast, there's enough for Young to work with and not stymie his development.  Right now our WRs are getting about as much separation as Siamese twins.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is your other tactic, suggesting that the people who say something other than what you believe are just parroting the team narrative, etc.

There have been plenty of times where what I thought happened turned out not to be what happened. No I could have stubbornly (and stupidly) said "nuh uh, I was still right anyway" but that'd be kind of silly.

The bottom line is you believe what you want to believe, facts be damned. You can accuse others of doing it all you want, but in reality that's just to make it easier to justify doing it yourself.

It's not a tactic to acknowledge what NFL teams are and do.  It's just what they do.   Again, your tactic is to take whatever the Panthers put out there as the gospel.  I

But when legit NFL reporters and multiple ones are telling you X.  There is generally something there about X.  That's my stance.  And NFL teams don't like when reporters find out stuff they don't want aired out there.  And they often lie. 

I don't treat anything as the gospel.  There is enough smoke on the billionaire Tepper (and others like him) that he isn't the fan fiction version you tend to defend and create.  Sitting in the corner and just wanting to make sure everyone dotting the i.....and just letting everyone else run his mom and pop shop however they seem fit.  

1 minute ago, CRA said:

It's not a tactic to acknowledge what NFL teams are and do.  It's just what they do.   Again, your tactic is to take whatever the Panthers put out there as the gospel.  I

But when legit NFL reporters and multiple ones are telling you X.  There is generally something there about X.  That's my stance.  And NFL teams don't like when reporters find out stuff they don't want aired out there.  And they often lie. 

I don't treat anything as the gospel.  There is enough smoke on the billionaire Tepper (and others like him) that he isn't the fan fiction version you tend to defend and create.  Sitting in the corner and just wanting to make sure everyone dotting the i.....and just letting everyone else run his mom and pop shop however they seem fit.  

Yeah, there aren't any legit NFL reporters out there I've seen pushing the narrative that Tepper is controlling everything. That's just you.

Plenty of reporters with no Panthers affiliation have confirmed stuff that happened while Rhule was here, but again you deny that because it doesn't suit the narrative you want.

As for me pushing a positive version of Tupper, yeah... 😆

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yep and next draft was the "this year" for me.  I just hope with the patchwork offensive supporting cast, there's enough for Young to work with and not stymie his development.  Right now our WRs are getting about as much separation as Siamese twins.

I get it, I just can't sign onto it.

Reich and company your franchise QB was to be had this year, and they did what was necessary to secure them.

It's going to be a long time before we know whether that worked out or not, but I don't disagree with making that choice.

12 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Overall, the players have been a mixed bag, the contracts haven't been back breaking, but the direction that we are headed looks brighter than the past 10 years.

Past 5 I will give you but past 10 includes years we had way more talent and went to the Super Bowl. I would trade this team in a second for the 2013 team even with the next couple off seasons/drafts in a second if we could swap coaches.