• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Time to Trade Burns

tukafan21

1 minute ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

teams know that Burns is in a contract year. If the panthers cannot resign him before next offseason, Burns can walk for nothing. Therefore, if the panthers get desperate after not being able to extend Burns before trade deadline, they may be force to trade him. Unless a playoff teams get into a bidding war, we aren't getting much in return for him now

You do know what the franchise tag is, right?

There is a less than 0% chance the Panthers let him walk in free agency and not tag him.

Which also is why we'll get 2 firsts, as if we tag him, that's what we'd get for someone else to sign him, which they 100% would do assuming we didn't trade him first.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

You do know what the franchise tag is, right?

There is a less than 0% chance the Panthers let him walk in free agency and not tag him.

Which also is why we'll get 2 firsts, as if we tag him, that's what we'd get for someone else to sign him, which they 100% would do assuming we didn't trade him first.

sure, franchise tag burns and we end up in the same situation next year if they still aren't able to come to an extension. also, if burns doesn't play well or gets injured this season, a team wont trade 2 first for him

5 minutes ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

sure, franchise tag burns and we end up in the same situation next year if they still aren't able to come to an extension. also, if burns doesn't play well or gets injured this season, a team wont trade 2 first for him

No chance Burns plays on the tag next year, not after he almost ended up sitting out this year.  If we tag him, we'll either come to a long term deal or trade him.

Hence back to my OP, at this point with where the team appears to be, we have too many holes to pay him what it's going to end up taking to keep him around given the alternative being 2 firsts and $30-35 million more in cap room.

And to your point about getting injured, that's why I said I'd put him on the block and inactivate him each week until a trade is made, to not risk injury and hurt ourselves.

Put him on the market, teams will come calling.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Beer 1

Shoulda traded his ass for all that sweet loot and avoided this total nonsense.

But noooooo.....here we are....

Has this organization EVER made a competent decision?

Delhomme's payday fiasco, Curtis Samuel walking for nothing, Bradbury, Norman, Norwell, Starr, CMC, my God I could keep going but its just super depressing.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Two games into a season is not "time" to do anything.

This team has shown nothing that gives any indication that we will be even remotely in the playoff chase this year (yes, I'm very confident in saying that after the preseason and 2 weeks where we've looked like hot garbage).

We have far too many holes to fill and don't have the draft picks to work on filling them and will lose a large chunk of the cap room we have to re-sign guys like Burns and maybe Brown next year.

The earlier in the season that we put him on the market, the more teams who think they have a chance to make a run this year to get involved in the bidding and help drive the price up on what we could get for him.

I want Burns on this team, but what we'd get back for him plus the extra cap room with not signing him are more beneficial to this franchise right now with where we currently stand.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You shouldn't be.

This is basically panicked decision making.

Actually it's not, I was calling for us to trade him last Saturday night once it was clear there wasn't going to be a deal done before the game.  I've never been a fan of having him play out the year because I think he's putting up 15+ sacks and will end up costing us more than Bosa at that point.

I was yelling all off season to just pay him and get it done, but once we couldn't, I think the best thing for the franchise's future is to get a couple firsts for him and open up that cap space.

What I've seen from them these two weeks only makes me feel stronger about the need to move him in what would essentially be a 4 for 1 of potential impact players, two firsts and splitting that $30-35 in cap space on 2 other starters.

I mentioned it in another thread, I wouldn't hate the idea of trying to trade him to the Lions for Jameson Williams, their 1st and maybe a future 2nd or 3rd.  They just lost a pass rusher as well as Gardner-Johnson, adding someone like Burns to rush opposite Hutchinson would help both the pass rush and back end.

Now not sure the Lions would do that since they're going to have to pay Hutch in 2 years too, but I'd be open to a deal like that as well if one is out there.

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fitts can't afford too. He wouldn't get anywhere close to what he turned down from the Rams and he'd get skewered for trading him mater for significantly less.

He can blame it on Burns and his unwillingness to sign a reasonable contract. He needs to trade him