• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Calling our #1 pick quarterback a "point guard" to anyone that would listen was cringe af and now is even more embarrassing after our first two starts. Holy fug people compared this poor kid to Steph Curry. And spammed poo reactions on anyone that had slight concerns. Yet where are they? Quiet or totally MIA.

It’s just a glorified way of calling him a distributor/game manager/system QB and I think that lines up with what we’ve seen so far. The hope is that he becomes an elite one like Brees and it’s way to early to say he can’t. I still see him doing reads beyond his years. 

One basketball player can take over a game the way a football player can’t so the Steph comparison is kinda dumb, but I think that’s more about dude being undersized 

It's too early to say he's a bust for sure.  But I also don't see how these two games inspire excitement or a ton of confidence.  BY got little to no help last night from play calling or our supposed play makers, but his play itself didn't inspire a ton of hope. 

He had a good final series, and a few nice plays smattered throughout the game, but he was consistently off in terms of accuracy and seemed to play somewhat scared.  My biggest concern is that his arm strength is worse than advertised and the "elasticity" that was supposed to make him elite when improvising just hasn't shown up. 

Hoping the receivers / play calling steps up and we see improvement in the coming weeks... not giving up on him yet... but I remember clinging to single drives from Clausen, Allen, Teddy, and Darnold (yes the last two were already vets so it is definitely different). So, I'm being a little more critical now.

Edited by mav1234
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Lame Duck said:

I think Bryce will be fine and I have been one of his worst critics on this board.  I called him a bust during the draft.  Bryce is playing mostly mistake free football and he takes what defense gives him.  He’s very very good at reading the game and avoids forcing things.

I think the issue is with the fans because they set unrealistic expectations in their heads that Bryce is next Drew Brees right out of college.  No, it takes time to make the transition.  Bryce will be fine.

Right on. Plus they’re ignoring the fact that it took until his 3rd year as a starter for Drew Brees to start looking like the Drew Brees in New Orleans. And that’s with the offensive talent difference he had in San Diego at the time which is nowhere near close. Killing the kid after 2 games in the nfl with some of the worst weapons in the nfl = crazy expectations or you just have your draft day axe to grind. They’d have ran Peyton, Drew, Lawrence, Tua, Allen and a plethora of others out of town 6 games into their first season for not looking like Mahomes day 1. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

It’s just a glorified way of calling him a distributor/game manager/system QB and I think that lines up with what we’ve seen so far. The hope is that he becomes an elite one like Brees and it’s way to early to say he can’t. I still see him doing reads beyond his years. 

One basketball player can take over a game the way a football player can’t so the Steph comparison is kinda dumb, but I think that’s more about dude being undersized 

Brother if we traded all that we did and what could very well end up being a top 5 pick next year for a game manager or system QB... ohh wee mayne.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

It's too early to say he's a bust for sure.  But I also don't see how these two games inspire excitement or a ton of confidence.  BY got little to no help last night from play calling or our supposed play makers, but his play itself didn't inspire a ton of hope. 

He had a good final series, and a few nice plays smattered throughout the game, but he was consistently off in terms of accuracy and seemed to play somewhat scared.  My biggest concern is that his arm strength is worse than advertised and the "elasticity" that was supposed to make him elite when improvising just hasn't shown up. 

Hoping the receivers / play calling steps up and we see improvement in the coming weeks... not giving up on him yet... but I remember clinging to single drives from Clausen, Allen, Teddy, and Darnold (yes the last two were already vets so it is definitely different). So, I'm being a little more critical now.

I haven't given up hope yet but I'm officially nervous as hell.

• Pie 2

Has anyone said he sucks yet? No? Well its not Bryce that's the problem. It's the entire offense. Running backs can't run. Receivers can't get separation and Frank has such a tight leash on the offense that Bryce is too afraid of making any mistakes. Which causes, you guessed it, mistakes. This offense just cannot seem to find any kind of rhythm. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I wouldn’t be. If he’s not a guy who can win a SB or win an MVP, I’d rather he just crashed and burned so we could move on to a QB who can. We have already wasted 5, now 6, years post healthy Cam. I don’t want to waste a decade. I wish we hadn’t traded so many god damn picks for nothing so we had some more young talent around Young to evaluate him better. Sucks that we don’t.

I hear ya. I'm just trying to think about possibly salvaging the trade package we gave up.

At the end of the day as a fan I am just not sure we will ever see consistent success under this ownership. Hell we can't even get one winning season. But that's where the buck stops. It's been one trainwreck to the next.

Just now, OldhamA said:

Why did we trade 5 premium players for him if he's not 'that kinda prospect'?

At this point, I hope Young gets it but this post is just the same old excuse post. Just like when we were just a QB away after Wills showed us we had an OK team and Young was the most pro-ready QB of them all. Now it’s preseason didn’t count because we were being vanilla (which appears to be the real offense) and anyone who though we could win with Young as a rookie was stupid. It’s like daily affirmations. They keep repeating new truths so they don’t have to admit they were wrong before and their goal posts move.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

brees is the most accurate qb in history and he had a hall of fame coach to go with him.  Trading all that capital in hopes of a guy becoming brees is fuging moronic

• Pie 1

Just now, BamaFan said:

All you have to do is find a way for the defense to play prevent the whole game and he’ll be just fine LOL

😂 That was funny when Ellis said that he looked great then. Dude was so wrapped up in hating Rhule that he’s grasping at straws to defend the current regime.