• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we need to see from Bryce and the offensive philosophy

NAS

39 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

The Panthers had an even weaker cast outside of DJ Moore last season but were still able to move the ball through the air. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t this historically bad.

I’d take a strong #1 WR corp over a group with a better #3 and #4.  Especially when that “better” depth is just potential.  

this is a pretty historically weak cast for franchise that has never had strong WR groups IMO. 

and it’s probably the weakest backfield in decades to pair 

You got to go back a LONG way to find a weaker overall cast around a QB in Carolina than this 2023 squad.  It’s bad.  Potential down the road? Sure.  

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

I’d take a strong #1 WR corp over a group with a better #3 and #4.  Especially when that “better” depth is just potential.  

this is a pretty historically weak cast for franchise that has never had strong WR groups IMO. 

You got to go back a LONG way to find a weaker overall cast around a QB in Carolina than this 2023 squad.  It’s bad.  Potential down the road? Sure.  

2022: Moore, Marshall Jr, Shenault, Smith

2023: Chark, Theilen, Mingo, Shenault, Marshall Jr.

Moore is good but there is no way the receiving core from last season was better if Marshall who can't even get on the field now was our #2. 

27 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sanders is an upgrade over Foreman.

Hurst is an upgrade over Ian Thomas.

TMJ went from WR2 down to 4.

So besides losing DJ Moore we upgraded at every other position.

Being this bad lands squarely on giving up / expecting to much from a rookie QB.

16 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Sanders is an upgrade over Foreman.

Hurst is an upgrade over Ian Thomas.

TMJ went from WR2 down to 4.

So besides losing DJ Moore we upgraded at every other position.

Being this bad lands squarely on giving up / expecting too much from a rookie QB.

Eh, we went into the season with CMC, Moore and Anderson.   Going in still matters.  Because that’s the actual plan for the year.   So last years talent was better.  It got a lot worse when they thought they could fire Rhule, trade CMC and tank. 

it’s cherry picking down to the back half of the schedule on an implosion team frankly thinking they could tank vs a lot of dysfunctional teams and we got absolutely smashed, game over, in the first quarter vs. the one actual good team we faced that back stretch. 

and I’d still take that back half stretch team because of Moore over this group.    We finished with DJ, TMJ, Shenault and Shi.   And DJ is just a big difference over present day Theilen. 

Ideally you take the Rams trade for Burns, and you trade Brown as well. You eat this season and possibly go 0-17 without a good defense. No problem. You then go into the 2024 draft a select the best offensive weapons available in the higher rounds. The reason you do this is to evaluate Young in the 2024 and 2025 seasons. We need to know by then if Young is good enough to be our franchise QB. The sooner we know the better, and we can’t evaluate Young with the offense we have now. To speed up the offense rebuild you trade the defensive vets. This comes at the cost of losing games because the defense is bad, but if Young is good we’ll know it. And if he is, then it’s no trouble to start rebuilding the defense in the following draft and free agency. If Young is bad, then we’ll know for sure, and we’ll have our high first round pick, and the Rams 1st round pick, and whatever we got for Brown to draft Young’s replacement. 

Instead we are hanging on to defensive vets and trying to win games with the defense. Bad idea because it’s 2023 and the rule la favor the offense. And what’s worse is that we can’t evaluate Young with this roster. We at least needed to sign a #1 vet WR, but even then we don’t have the juice. We’re too slow, so who knows what Young is capable of, and we have no 1st round pick next season, and Burns and Brown will be any their big time pay days when it’s doesn’t matter what they do on the field. Their defensive play is largely irrelevant until we have a offense in place and we know that Young is the guy. I don’t know Fitts plan, but it’s not even close to what I want.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Attempting to throw deep on third down and possibly getting intercepted isn’t a bad play. The net result is basically the same as punting but at least the deep pass has to chance to result in something positive for the offense. Bryce has barely even attempted to throw up a prayer in the first two games. Why? I have no idea.

Simple he doesn’t have the arm strength to be accurate down field. He couldn’t do it at Alabama I’m not sure what made scouts and coaches think he would be able to do it in the NFL. Most all of his yardage in college came from slants and screens to superstar wide receivers that could turn 5 yard slants in to 75 yard td passes. 

3 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Let me ask you this. Everyone used to talk about how DJ Moore wasn’t a true number or wasn’t worth a big contract etc

(I personally really liked him and his skill set)

It seems the front office felt a QB was more important than a dynamic receiver.

So how is it that we upgraded at RB, TE1 and our WRs minus DJ Moore (we cut Shi Smith who caught passes and scored TDs for example) yet are significant worse on offense.

Was DJ Moore really the reason why we were able to throw for more than 150 yards in a game?

I don’t think we upgraded at RB or WR. Even if you’re counting Chark as an upgrade he’s only played one game with limited snaps.

We’re 2 games into the season, in a new offense, with a rookie QB, and injuries to the offensive line. It’s way too small of a sample size to get any meaningful takeaways from the passing game. Even later in the season last year there were multiple sub 175 passing yard games.

2 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

Reich and Young have taken away the spotlight from the disaster Mingo has been

I remember him slipping coming out of a couple breaks in the preseason. He pulled up on that ball against NY across the middle. He had an awful drop last night. 

Somebody posted a chart of our receivers targets and catches and Mingo was targeted the most with 8 but they only connected on 3 of them.