• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can we trade for a WR1?

*FreeFua*

The Panthers gave up way too much to draft Bryce Young to not give him the necessary pieces to succeed.

It’s obvious this offense lacks a WR1. It also lacks a good play caller but for now let’s talk WR1

Everyone assumed Burns would be paid by now since Fitterer turned down a package of a lifetime from the Rams. With the Burns situation taking an odd turn which WR1 would you potentially trade Burns for?

We don’t have a 1st rounder next year (obviously) so Burns might be our best shot at landing a WR1. The other team would have to be willing to pay Burns but not their WR.

I think the obvious answer here is Higgins but who else is there? Jameson Williams could be an interesting target. Detroit would have to give us back more than just Williams for Burns though 

Here are some potentials from teams with cap space:

SEA: Metcalf - I doubt they move him, but if they think Smith-Njigba is his replacement, they could move him. 

MIA: Waddle - on a cheap two-year deal, but separating him and Cheetah it’s probably not happening. 

CIN: Higgins - probably going to get in the $18-$20 million a year contract range when he resigns. Wild rather have Chase, but that ain’t happening. 

It was always utterly baffling to trade our only proven WR as part of a package to trade up to draft our QB. When I saw the news of the trade come scrolling across the ESPN ticker while sipping a beer at Ass Clown Brewing (how prescient of an omen that has been given how Bryce has looked thus far) my very first initial reaction was, "Okay, well who the fug is this kid gonna throw to?"

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

If not Burns what draft picks or other players are you willing to trade?

do we just take our lumps this year and hope Higgins hits the market?

The Panthers also need to decide what they’re going to do with Luvu this offseason. The Panthers aren’t in a position to let players walk for nothing. So Luvu obviously isn’t going to land us a WR1 but looking ahead to the offseason and Luvu being an FA if he isn’t in their cap plans they need to trade him, he’ll have some value. 

• Pie 1

My god.  Defense is the only functional unit on this team.  A single WR, much less one a team is willing to part with is not going to solve the offensive issues.  We just need to play some game managing ball like Atlanta is doing with Ridder and let our defense give us a chance.  Give Bryce & Co time to get better.  Trading away players from our defense is NOT the answer at all.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It was always utterly baffling to trade our only proven WR as part of a package to trade up to draft our QB. When I saw the news of the trade come scrolling across the ESPN ticker while sipping a beer at Ass Clown Brewing (how prescient of an omen that has been given how Bryce has looked thus far) my very first initial reaction was, "Okay, well who the fug is this kid gonna throw to?"

Especially when the Bears were willing to take Derrick Brown. Obviously that would’ve left a massive hole up but that seems like nothing compared to what we’re watching Bryce have to go through 

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Especially when the Bears were willing to take Derrick Brown. Obviously that would’ve left a massive hole up but that seems like nothing compared to what we’re watching Bryce have to go through 

I said at the time if you're going to make this trade then you have to dedicate yourself to building around this QB, whoever you're taking. You can't allow your only proven WR to be a part of this trade even if it means giving up a defender with higher value. Maybe you end up landing on a deal of something like #9, Brian Burns, and a couple of 2nd instead of the additional 1st. But DJ Moore couldn't be a part of that trade. Not for a QB and not considering the rest of our WR roster.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It’s funny how the excuse makers kept saying don’t trade Burns for two firsts and a 2nd (and $30M a year for other FAs) because draft picks never work out as well as the player yet we happily gave away CMC for basically a mid 2nd value and Moore was a throw in on the Young trade. Neither of those look good at all but trading Burns for way more was verboten. Moore and CMC were also only a few million more per year than Burns will be. For the same cap space, I’d rather have CMC and Moore and two firsts and a 2nd (which was easily a solid young TE). SMH sometimes with what we do and the apologists acting like we did it right. Instead we have an unsigned Burns and squadoosh on offense.

The funny thing as an advocate for the Burns trade is that I wanted to focus on offensive weapons for Young and figured we could work on getting FAs like Judon, Houston, Reddick, Ngakoue, Floyd, Smith (Preston and Zadarius), etc.   There seem to be guys around every year as 9-10+ sack guys.

6 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It’s funny how the excuse makers kept saying don’t trade Burns for two firsts and a 2nd (and $30M a year for other FAs) because draft picks never work out as well as the player yet we happily gave away CMC for basically a mid 2nd value and Moore was a throw in on the Young trade. Neither of those look good at all but trading Burns for way more was verboten. Moore and CMC were also only a few million more per year than Burns will be. For the same cap space, I’d rather have CMC and Moore and two firsts and a 2nd (which was easily a solid young TE). SMH sometimes with what we do and the apologists acting like we did it right. Instead we have an unsigned Burns and squadoosh on offense.

The funny thing as an advocate for the Burns trade is that I wanted to focus on offensive weapons for Young and figured we could work on getting FAs like Judon, Houston, Reddick, Ngakoue, Floyd, Smith (Preston and Zadarius), etc.   There seem to be guys around every year as 9-10+ sack guys.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but in hindsight the obvious answer was to pay Reddick (a lot less than Burns would require) and take the haul for Burns. Oh well.

• Pie 2

Teams that would have to make some cap adjustments:

BUF: Diggs - their best WR, potentially unhappy but why come to Carolina in this current state?

PHI: Brown or Smith, but why would they do it? Their defense is already stacked. 

JAC: Kirk (3 years left), Ridley (contract year). Ridley is the perfect replacement for DJ Moore. 

We've got to shift the strategy to accumulating draft picks and salary cap this year and next. Let the ignorant fans cry that BY has looked poor in a terrible looking offense all they want. Let's get some experience for the rookie and readjust the lofty expectations some of y'all had.

43 minutes ago, Towelboy said:

Here are some potentials from teams with cap space:

SEA: Metcalf - I doubt they move him, but if they think Smith-Njigba is his replacement, they could move him. 

MIA: Waddle - on a cheap two-year deal, but separating him and Cheetah it’s probably not happening. 

CIN: Higgins - probably going to get in the $18-$20 million a year contract range when he resigns. Wild rather have Chase, but that ain’t happening. 

DK Metcalf please!

Dude is a all-around WR. He can beat you on the short/mid/deep.