• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Average time to throw (Spoiler alert: Bryce is 2nd to last)

LinvilleGorge

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards

Bryce is second to last among NFL QBs beating only the atrocious Zach Wilson. Dalton currently sitting at 5th fastest. 3.14 seconds vs. 2.5 seconds and Dalton is doing that while throwing downfield consistently more.

I was expecting this to be a real strength of Bryce's. 

There's only four slower times than Bryce's since they started compiling the numbers in 2018 (one was Darnold 😂). This not what I expected out of a "super processor".

Let's hope he can improve. But right now, the eye test said that Andy Dalton ran the offense much better yesterday and the more numbers I look at, the more they SCREAM it.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Samppson said:

It really felt like he is questioning his throws ever since those two picks. I think he just needs to trust what he's seeing and rip it more, picks are going to happen.

Agreed. In the second game especially he just looked really hesitant to throw and like you said, like he was second guessing everything.

I don't think think the staff is blind to this. As critical as I have been of situational offensive play calling, these guys do know NFL football. The more I think about it and look at the numbers and it just sinks in how much better the passing game ran with Dalton the more I do think that the ankle was just an excuse to pull Bryce out of the fire and give him a minute to reset and regroup.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed. In the second game especially he just looked really hesitant to throw and like you said, like he was second guessing everything.

Yeah, like he's taking that extra half second to double check/confirm before letting it go, throwing off all the rhythm. I'm sure it didn't help that we lost almost entirely because of those two picks. 

13 minutes ago, 96Bravo said:

I mean...I hate to be that guy, but one of my arguments was I thought Bryce held on to the ball too long at Alabama. He could get away with it there. Doesn't mean he can't adjust. I said the same thing about Trevor Lawrence.

It's my big concern with Caleb Williams as a prospect. More and more every year this league is becoming about getting the ball out FAST.

"Last season, his 3.24-second average time to throw was the highest among Power Five quarterbacks." That would be good for the second slowest time in the NFL since 2018.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

There is like zero urgency to get his calls in, then no urgency on his drop backs. I've seen a lot of people on twitter comment on how laid back his drop back is. Still stuck in that Alabama mindset

A lot of people convinced themselves he was surrounded by subpar talent at Alabama while overlooking the reality that "subpar" for Alabama is still a top 10 college roster.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A lot of people convinced themselves he was surrounded by subpar talent at Alabama while overlooking the reality that "subpar" for Alabama is still a top 10 college roster.

Yeah and him looking average last year after losing his big play makers seemed to be an afterthought in the media. While CJ having weapons was to his detriment. So weird how people just lock on to general narratives fed to them by the media

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think think the staff is blind to this. As critical as I have been of situational offensive play calling, these guys do know NFL football. The more I think about it and look at the numbers and it just sinks in how much better the passing game ran with Dalton the more I do think that the ankle was just an excuse to pull Bryce out of the fire and give him a minute to reset and regroup.

This staff rubberstamped the trade up for and selection of Young. Conviction is the word they used.

They live and die by his success - it ain't looking good for them. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I believe my comment was: "it's Alabama, lads. Do you really want me to pull out the recruiting class rankings for the last decade? Cos I will". 

He didn't have Marvin Harrison Jr, was basically the retort. 

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 1