• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Average time to throw (Spoiler alert: Bryce is 2nd to last)

LinvilleGorge

4 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Got to get the ball out fast in a WC offense. Dalton knows the drill. 

This isn't Alabama where you have a top 5 OL and you can run around until somebody gets open behind some Vanderbilt DBs.

You’re right it’s not Alabama but he did the same crap there too. I was not a fan at all. Can’t tell you how many times we were yelling for him to get rid of it and it was always a short check down, underthrown midrange or overthrown deep ball. The guy may be extremely smart but lacks the strength and size to play at the NFL level. IMO

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, BamaFan said:

You’re right it’s not Alabama but he did the same crap there too. I was not a fan at all. Can’t tell you how many times we were yelling for him to get rid of it and it was always a short check down, underthrown midrange or overthrown deep ball. The guy may be extremely smart but lacks the strength and size to play at the NFL level. IMO

I completely agree with you cuz  i saw same thing when i watched his tape and made it known on here. As a bama fan, do you also agree he threw the ball better in 2021 than he did in 2022?? His passes had more velocity and just looked more crisp. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Dalton is a fine mentor backup.  That’s what we need.  There is no point in him playing outside of giving Bryce time though.  That’s all. 

I can’t keep everyone straight.  There is a building narrative that some people just want to see us win pointless games with Dalton.  I don’t care about wins.  Especially pointless ones with Dalton.  They need to find away to get things settled to get Bryce back on the field.  

They want to see us lose pointless games with Dalton, just like yesterday, against an atrocious defense.

1 hour ago, Varking said:

I’ll tone down the Stroud and Richardson comps to Bryce. I definitely understand it getting annoying. It’s just my way of coping with another standard season of racking up Ls. I get my hopes up on Gameday and then I’m let down right after. I usually counter that with well it helps draft positioning after we lose and there’s no first rounder so I’m working my way through it via other means. 

My ire will be directed towards Reich and Fitt at the appointed time if it comes to that. Bryce is destined to be compared to Stroud to some degree for the time being. I do believe that their careers are way too young to draw any definitive conclusions. But, comparisons are quite logical even at this point, and this isn't the starting point (which began before last season even ended).

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

My ire will be directed towards Reich and Fitt at the appointed time if it comes to that. Bryce is destined to be compared to Stroud to some degree for the time being. I do believe that their careers are way too young to draw any definitive conclusions. But, comparisons are quite logical even at this point, and this isn't the starting point (which began before last season even ended).

New mod message sticky at the top of the forum seems to indicate they want less Stroud and Richardson comparisons. 

11 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I completely agree with you cuz  i saw same thing when i watched his tape and made it known on here. As a bama fan, do you also agree he threw the ball better in 2021 than he did in 2022?? His passes had more velocity and just looked more crisp. 

I can’t remember where I found it but in 2021 his passes completed that were thrown 20+yards in the air was only like 33% that’s horrible. You have to remember who he was throwing to in 2021. He had speed for days with Jameson Williams, JOJO Earle, Brian Robinson, and John Metchie. These were all guys that turned 5 yard slants and tunnel screens in to 70+ yard track meets and that’s just not going to happen in the NFL. Not sure where you would find the stat but I would bet anything that the 4,800 yards passing he had that year 60% or more was yards after catch from these guys. JS

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Samppson said:

It really felt like he is questioning his throws ever since those two picks. I think he just needs to trust what he's seeing and rip it more, picks are going to happen.

Me too.  I noticed that against the Saints.  I think it's being a rookie starting out against two of the better pass defenses in the league.  

Minnesota looks like a good game for him to get right.  Their offense will be a challenge, but we should be able to run or pass on them.  

Those of us who argued for CJ should root for his success in Houston. But we should support our new QB also. If Bryce doesn't end up panning out, there's probably some great young QB available a couple of years from now. 

I don't want to wait that long either...but, for now, what's done is done. 

10 minutes ago, BamaFan said:

I can’t remember where I found it but in 2021 his passes completed that were thrown 20+yards in the air was only like 33% that’s horrible. You have to remember who he was throwing to in 2021. He had speed for days with Jameson Williams, JOJO Earle, Brian Robinson, and John Metchie. These were all guys that turned 5 yard slants and tunnel screens in to 70+ yard track meets and that’s just not going to happen in the NFL. Not sure where you would find the stat but I would bet anything that the 4,800 yards passing he had that year 60% or more was yards after catch from these guys. JS

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021/11/a-deeper-look-at-alabama-qb-bryce-youngs-downfield-passing-threat.html?outputType=amp

10-33 for passes 20 plus air yards through early November.

Here it is. The first chunk of his rookie season as a starter. Looks like he got better in the later part of the year (late November)

https://alabama.rivals.com/news/breaking-down-bryce-young-s-deep-balls-against-arkansas

After struggling with long passes earlier in the season, the sophomore has developed his deep ball in recent weeks. Over his last four games, Young has a 377.69 passer rating on throws of 20 yards or more, completing 11 of 17 for 437 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, BamaFan said:

To be fair...is that not what a "PG QB" should be doing? Get the ball to your playmakers and let them make plays. We just don't have anyone that's good at YAC. We had one of the best in DJ Moore but he's no longer here. Miamis offense is full of YAC players, they are out there and we need to put a few around Bryce.

But like I've been saying it's hard to get things right after just one off-season. It can obviously be done but more often than not it takes a season or two for the vision to take shape. Hopefully we are much improved by seasons end going into next year.

• Beer 1

While I agree that Bryce will be linked with Stroud and Richardson at least for a while, my whole thing is this urge that people have had to give up on him already after eight quarters of play.

Bear in mind that Darnold was 3-0 at one point and people everywhere was singing his praises.

Oh, and there were more than a few people (this board included) who were convinced that Lawrence was a bust and Mac Jones was a better pick. How'd that work out?

Bryce by all accounts is a bit of a throwback QB in a lot of ways...if he has a throwback type of rookie season but turns into a Brees/Aikman/P Manning career, we'll forget all about how he did the first two games.

• Pie 4

It's just obvious we blew the pick... I think the top argument for Bryce was that he was NFL ready day one and an elite processor because of some dumb test he has taken every week since he was like 10... This stat just further shows that Bryce is not NFL ready and possibly not even a good processor of defenses

Edited by PleaseCutStewart
  • Beer 1