• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Young Won the Job at the Pro Day Dinner

Towelboy

Here’s how I imagine it went down. Tepper was impressed with a smart kid with the smart answers at dinner. He treated it as a job interview for someone to work at his hedge fund. Frank Reich and scouts wanted CJ Stroud because he had all the tools. When the S2 scores came out, Tepper said, “See, I told you he was smart” and began the move to make Young the pick. That would explain the off-season moves to get a bunch of route runners known for intermediate crossing routes - players to offset the flaws of their short, weak-armed QB. They realized they needed a deep threat, so they cheaped out and got the oft-injured Chark. I think Fitterer and Reich are bad at their jobs, but I think they were hamstrung by an owner that was duped in interview settings by a quarterback that does not have the physical traits to succeed in this league. This team has been set back 5+ years due to a poor decision to trade up and draft the wrong guy. At this point, I hope the stands are full of opposing fans and David Tepper has to stomach the fact that he botched this team. 

IMG_0673.jpeg

• Beer 3
  • Poo 7

I do think we made the wrong pick (please prove me wrong Bryce, I so badly and sincerely want to be wrong).

I don't think it was Tepper

As I said in another thread, Tepper is 99% the reason for the trade, but once the trade was made, the pick itself was 99% Reich and Fitterer.

There is no proof anywhere that Tepper has been sticking his nose in specific football decisions.  Directing the team to figure out the QB position, sure, but I don't think for one second he's ever had any impact on which players we target and go after, he leaves that up to the football people.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Towelboy said:

Here’s how I imagine it went down. Tepper was impressed with a smart kid with the smart answers at dinner. He treated it as a job interview for someone to work at his hedge fund. Frank Reich and scouts wanted CJ Stroud because he had all the tools. When the S2 scores came out, Tepper said, “See, I told you he was smart” and began the move to make Young the pick. That would explain the off-season moves to get a bunch of route runners known for intermediate crossing routes - players to offset the flaws of their short, weak-armed QB. They realized they needed a deep threat, so they cheaped out and got the oft-injured Chark. I think Fitterer and Reich are bad at their jobs, but I think they were hamstrung by an owner that was duped in interview settings by a quarterback that does not have the physical traits to succeed in this league. This team has been set back 5+ years due to a poor decision to trade up and draft the wrong guy. At this point, I hope the stands are full of opposing fans and David Tepper has to stomach the fact that he botched this team. 

IMG_0673.jpeg

Jesus H Christ

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Tepper aside. Scott Fitterer is an awful GM and the Seahawks have been doing much better since he left. The reason he didn't walk out the door with Rhule is because he follows Tepper's orders.

I think Fitt was so desperate for a GM job, he didn’t mind that Rhule had final roster say. That’s why I think Tepper made the call because Fitt is a “yes man.”

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Fr6lvwUXgAIOLah.jpg:large

Oh my god, she hugged him, so obvious that the Teppers forced Fitterer/Reich to take him after that, how could I be so blind.  Shocking that the owners of the team wants to meet the potential #1 overall draft pick that you want to build your franchise around.

Said it the other day, the Teppers only involvement in the draft pick (after the trade was made) was approving of who Reich and Fitterer wanted to take, and I don't think they'd have said no to either of Bryce or Stroud if the football guys wanted them.

• Pie 6

12 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I do think we made the wrong pick (please prove me wrong Bryce, I so badly and sincerely want to be wrong).

I don't think it was Tepper

As I said in another thread, Tepper is 99% the reason for the trade, but once the trade was made, the pick itself was 99% Reich and Fitterer.

There is no proof anywhere that Tepper has been sticking his nose in specific football decisions.  Directing the team to figure out the QB position, sure, but I don't think for one second he's ever had any impact on which players we target and go after, he leaves that up to the football people.

Tepper was at that dinner along with Nicole.

No idea what the mix was but they were there and in on that pick to some extent.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Stroud's reaction to going 2 tells me there were definitely a few people involved in the process who were very high on him and gave him the impression he was probably the pick. What changed and when people can speculate. But you don't see any photo ops of Tepper's wife embracing Stroud or any of the other QB prospects at their pro day.

• Pie 3