• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce critics - let's be honest

NAS

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Losing and seeing little progress in Young is worse in my mind than sitting Bryce and winning with the backup.  Tepper probably doesn't see it that way though.  He wants his shiny new toy out there.

Frank and Scott have to know some W's are going to be required, and SOON, before their job security starts to come into question.  Heck, Huddlers want one or both of them gone NOW.

Yeah its all a mess honestly. Trade up to get the 1 qb who had the most limitations  and force him out there. We do need to see Bryce but so far he has shown nothing to merit being selected number 1 overall. It's early and guys like Tua and Trevor have improved  but neither had as many limitations.   Scott said plug n play... so they got to live with it for right now. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

I honestly don’t think a single throw was called on first down the entire game yesterday. 

In principle I agree with occasional throws on 1st down, but when averaging about 3 yards a pass--even if completed, then it has the same effect as a run.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Wilson is a NFL level athlete though. Not the best at playing qb but physically he belongs

Oh yeah I agree. My point  is that we can't expect Bryce to have perfect scenarios  to make those throws. He was drafted number 1 to do just that. He was supposed to be a timing thrower and that was the perfect time to show that skill. The redzone is the toughest for a reason... that look was there for the taking. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Lurk21 said:

Yeah its all a mess honestly. Trade up to get the 1 qb who had the most limitations  and force him out there. We do need to see Bryce but so far he has shown nothing to merit being selected number 1 overall. It's early and guys like Tua and Trevor have improved  but neither had as many limitations.   Scott said plug n play... so they got to live with it for right now. 

Yup, but at some point he's going to have acknowledge the insanity of the situation.  Can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.  The only thing I can think of if either Scott or Frank, likely both, got assurances from Tepper that no matter how ugly this thing got--knowing it was going to be tough sledding--that they would be safe as long as they stayed committed to the rookie. 

Otherwise, keeping Young out there is making less and less sense.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

1. Is it Bryce Young's fault that Panthers traded up to pick him at #1? 

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

It doesn't matter if the anger should be directed at the front office or that it's not Bryce's fault that we gave up so much to get him, that's life in the NFL, you get judge based on the whole, not the parts.

You can't discredit the size concerns since so many people had those issues with him pre-draft.  So asking "would you feel this way if he was 6'2" is just a completely pointless discussion as he's not going to magically grow another 4 inches.

You can't bring up his OL as the reason for it as Stroud is playing behind a significantly worse OL situation, literally their entire starting OL is hurt right now and playing backups.

And then it's also not fair to say he's struggling because it's a difficult situation.  The only reason so many people were even minimally okay with drafting him, was because he was supposed to be the most pro-ready QB who was being drafted by a team that was pretty solid late last year and really was just missing the QB.

To then give away the future and take him for him to look downright horrible (honestly, take away screen passes and he's been the worst QB in the league this year by far) is just not okay, no matter how you slice it.

Can he still become a solid QB?  Sure... but he'll never live up to that trade and that will always be a problem, whether it's his fault or not.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

The only reason so many people were even minimally okay with drafting him, was because he was supposed to be the most pro-ready QB who was being drafted by a team that was pretty solid late last year and really was just missing the QB.

this remains an unfair assessment.  The Carolina was just a QB away in 2022 narrative.  We played in a horrific division and had an easy schedule.  That's just a formula for a weak team to stumble into wins in a quirky season.   Then you add in opponents weren't equipped to deal with archaic football. 

Carolina wasn't playing solid football last year.  They were playing 1950s football.  Which helped limit and show how bad we were as a 2022 NFL offense because we weren't playing like one....and it aided a OL that wasn't really good at pass pro. 

• Pie 1