• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This did not age well

NAS

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

Agree, that is the biggest issue. His mind was supposed to overcome everything else, and we are waiting to see that come through. It is early yet, but I expected more at this point.

I think everyone did. I don't think anyone expected we'd be limited to screens and checkdowns and Bryce would be missing seeing open receivers further downfield every game. I don't even think he's looking downfield anymore. Why? I don't know.

• Pie 3

37 minutes ago, NAS said:

have you seen the routes they're running, and separation they're getting down the field?  

As far as the OL being injured, that points more to how poorly our OL depth is and how ineffective our blocking schemes have been

Do you think BY would be putting up similar numbers to Strouds if he was at Houston?  I just don't see it.

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We don't know how the decision making process went down. There was a lot of talk about Bryce not fitting Reich's model of a QB and now there's a lot of rumors Reich didn't want Bryce. True or not? Who knows?

I honestly feel he just didn’t want a rookie period.

Which is what Joe Person just mentioned when he said “if Frank had it his way.  We would have gone and got Carr.”

Which could be the reasoning why he had a different playbook with Dalton.  Not necessarily size or ability but more just doesn’t like or trust rookies.

Remember, this was the whole big reason why things went south in Indy in the first place because he kept forcing retreads vets.

heck, I honestly can’t recall them even having a rookie developmental backup. 
They always had vet type backups in Jacolby Brissetts of the world as the backups too his time there.

It appears he is an old head that never learned from his mistakes and the league has passed him by.  

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Which is what Joe Person just mentioned when he said “if Frank had it his way.  We would have gone and got Carr.”

Which could be the reasoning why he had a different playbook with Dalton.  Not necessarily size or ability but more just doesn’t like or trust rookies.

Remember, this was the whole big reason why things went south on the first place because he kept forcing retreads vets.

They always had vet type backups in Jacolby Brissetts of the world as the backups too his time there.

It appears he is an old head that never learned from his mistakes and the league has passed him by.  

Quite possible. And if that's the case it was a horrible hire because Tepper and Fitts seemed committed to make a bold move in the draft. So if you're bringing in a rookie maybe don't hire the guy who would prefer a vet. Especially when the rookie doesn't fit the mold of the type of QB the coach generally prefers. Everything just seems like a bad fit. We have a power run blocking OL trying to largely pass protect. We have a coach that likes big, strong armed QBs and we have Bryce Young. There are just square pegs and round holes everywhere.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, Carolina Disaster said:

Do you think BY would be putting up similar numbers to Strouds if he was at Houston?  I just don't see it.

Maybe not as many big plays down the field, but I think it would be close

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Keep coping. The Panthers traded for a guy they thought could make up for these deficits with his football brilliance despite his limited physical traits. It's not working out.

Hahahah can you say straw man?! Where did I say anything about Bryce? I think Bryce has been bad. But you my friend don’t know ball. You responded to absolutely nothing I just said and went off about little Bryce bc you can’t get him out of your own head.  I’m talking about Stroud’s line and weapons in Houston like you were attempting to. Wanna get back on topic?

55 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We don't know how the decision making process went down. There was a lot of talk about Bryce not fitting Reich's model of a QB and now there's a lot of rumors Reich didn't want Bryce. True or not? Who knows?

JFC, the CYA already happening now is ridiculous. Man, it’s really a huge kick in the nuts to us fans watching what we all knew were mistakes. Tepper was a fan of Fields as we’ve heard but he didn’t make anything happen. I don’t think he’s done a good job of retaining and hiring but I don’t believe for a second that Frank didn’t have a hand in the decision. We heard how Scott and Frank said the same name before and after all their evaluations.

44 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Remember, this was the whole big reason why things went south in Indy in the first place because he kept forcing retreads vets.

Why would he take the job? It sure seemed obvious we were going for a rookie after years of vets not working out. Heck add in Frank’s retreads and that’s 6 vets that did nothing but lose.

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think everyone did. I don't think anyone expected we'd be limited to screens and checkdowns and Bryce would be missing seeing open receivers further downfield every game. I don't even think he's looking downfield anymore. Why? I don't know.

I think the biggest issue is field vision.  It's limiting the throws he attempts and making the protection look worse than it should.  This is  2nd down play in our last drive vs. the Vikings and what I see.  Take a look and judge for yourself.

Bryce is looking for Thielen the whole way.  As soon as he hit's the end of his drop he's staring him down.  Initially Bryce has a vision lane, and we can see he's looking right through it when Thielen makes his first cut.

image.thumb.png.f9a9a0451834222f0bea00eae1caf432.png

Next frame the lane is collapsing and Bryce reacts by breaking the pocket right.  The protection is fine here.  IMO he breaks the pocket here because he can no longer see.  

image.thumb.png.4379b2cb676d74e48cb7ae374f7ed5eb.png

Bryce reestablishes line of sight with Thielen but the play is busted as the ball should be in the air already.

image.thumb.png.1e218e15c1620132622c19eecfc13d85.png

Thielen is now running a scramble drill in the back of the end zone.  As Thielen runs right to left we see Bryce reverse field to the left to again gain vision.

image.thumb.png.137328c4afa8fd73980cc2cadf0b9b2c.png

At this point Bryce is using hand signals to direct traffic I guess.

image.thumb.png.5a8f96022f84cc13d9b0c1e9a6b9f800.png

Final point.  Bryce also runs himself into pressure by reversing field.  The block were setup good until he heads back to the left hash.  This rusher is now an easy spin move to shed his block.  

image.thumb.png.fed5fb9689985bed9616fac073ab9b5c.png

• Pie 2

34 minutes ago, thebdawg said:

Hahahah can you say straw man?! Where did I say anything about Bryce? I think Bryce has been bad. But you my friend don’t know ball. You responded to absolutely nothing I just said and went off about little Bryce bc you can’t get him out of your own head.  I’m talking about Stroud’s line and weapons in Houston like you were attempting to. Wanna get back on topic?

Grab you a tall glass of cold water because these are gonna be some hard pills to swallow...

They're missing four starting OL.

Nico Collins is their #1 WR and had less than 500 receiving yards in both of his previous season. He'll surpass that in his next game. Their #2 is a 3rd round rookie. Their #3 is a guy with 500ish yards in each of his two previous seasons. Their starting TE has 2200 yards over six seasons.

They have the sixth fewest rushing yards on the NFL so the passing game is carrying the full weight of the offense. Their staring RB has under 200 rushing yards. Their backup has less than 100.

But keep comforting yourself with this narrative that the Texans have the superior offensive supporting cast.

• Flames 5

2 hours ago, NAS said:

These guys literally thought Bryce Young can be the offense and we don't need to spend on receivers.  FFS, Tepper is terrible

https://x.com/panthers_nation/status/1710242023721128364?s=20

Is this not the thing he said immediately after we drafted Bryce and then we were all like "Oh great, sounds like we're drafting all defense with the rest of our picks" and then we immediately take Mingo with our next pick at the top of the 2nd?  If so, then it was clearly a smokescreen at the time.

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Is this not the thing he said immediately after we drafted Bryce and then we were all like "Oh great, sounds like we're drafting all defense with the rest of our picks" and then we immediately take Mingo with our next pick at the top of the 2nd?  If so, then it was clearly a smokescreen at the time.

Maybe but I think more of a justification of trading DJ instead of Burns

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, thebdawg said:

Stroud has played better yeah. But did you know Houston’s offensive line is pass protecting FAR better than ours? Did you know our best receiver would be their receiver 3, maybe even receiver 4 behind Robert Woods? Really obvious who watches and understands ball & who is just saying stuff they heard on the internet 

Or just maybe they have a QB who is elevating the guys around him because you know....thats what a franchise QB is supposed to do. Good ball placement,  making reads quickly and getting the ball out fast which helps the o line. You would have more of a point if you could look all those guys stats up last year and say you knew there would be an improvement next season. And if your crediting a o line entirely made up of backups over a qb playing elite football then we know your not watching. 

• Pie 3