• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Isn't the Problem

NAS

1 hour ago, NAS said:

It hasn't been pretty and for the most part, it's been rather hard to watch. 

Five games into the Frank Reich era and the Carolina Panthers look like they took twelve steps back from where they were to begin the season a year ago. Notice how I said the beginning of last season, not the end. That's more like 1,200 steps backward.

We all saw the lack of depth this team had in the summer and the front office failed to address it. I understand there's only so much you can do in one offseason and even if they had made a couple of extra moves to "beef up" the roster, I'm not sure it would have made that much of a difference. 

This team is without two of its starting offensive linemen and is running a heavy zone run game scheme which is not what led to their success down the stretch in 2022. As offensive coordinator, Thomas Brown said last week, "It's a convenient excuse". He's not wrong, but we can't ignore the fact that it is a part of why this running game isn't as effective as it was a year ago, in addition to the injuries.

But now, what I'm really here for...

I'm stunned at the number of folks on social media placing the blame on Bryce Young, already deeming him a "bust". I can assure you the Panthers don't have a quarterback problem. They have a personnel and coaching problem. Can't it be worked out? Yes, absolutely. It just takes time. This coaching staff is too good not to figure their end of it out. It's about them gaining experience together, understanding what the perfect blend of their offensive and defense philosophies is, and putting that formula to use.

When you have receivers that consistently struggle to win one-on-one matchups, have a difficult time establishing the run game, and allow pressure on a regular basis, it's hard for any quarterback to execute. So let's stop comparing Young to C.J. Stroud. And this is coming from a guy who had Stroud as the No. 1 quarterback in the 2023 draft class. If Stroud were on this roster, it would be the same story. He doesn't fix any of the problems at the receiver position, in the run game, or up front in protection. 

My only knock on Young entering the NFL was his size. Could he take the beating? Would he be able to scan the field well? Would there be balls batted down at the line of scrimmage every week? Through his first four starts, we haven't once discussed his size because it's not been an issue. It's been everything else from execution, pre-snap responsibilities, health, you name it. Could there be something the coaching staff could do to present a more clear picture for Young? Yes. Even Steve Smith Sr. mentioned this on one of his latest episodes.

I'm not here to excuse the poor start to the season because quite frankly, there's no reason this team should be as bad as they are. But as far as the quarterback goes, I will refrain from judging Young as a franchise guy until he has the proper pieces around him. It's not like he doesn't belong. He's pieced together some drives where you're like, "Ah yes, there's why he was the number one overall pick." 

The talent, the IQ, and the overall makeup are there for Young to be the guy to lead the Panthers back to its winning ways. Let's give the kid some time to learn, grow, and most importantly get some darn help.

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/monday-morning-thoughts-bryce-young-isnt-the-problem?fbclid=IwAR2ZH20ifWRJMWQEh2EqccoN9UUp-zUFbic5MGvUj5LGF1WCbIhAzV1d7is_aem_ASktduesu4kTSQhzbI-FSYLi6seQ2rhKrR7UmQU9co4OXpyKKnCmPIMSPcIyHS_Hq0Q

1. Bryce Young is not THE problem on this roster. He has been ONE OF the problems for sure through games 1-3. I was much higher on him after this game than the previous even with the bone headed interception. 

But his performance for the first three games was in no way winning football that lifts up the team around him. 

2. Is that your article linked towards the top? Asking because the author talked about the arm talent and being a true threat to run and I question how highly rated the author has Bryce’s arm talent and running ability. 

Edited by Varking
  • Pie 1

You're just nut hugging if you repeatedly deflect all blame from Bryce it's getting old. 

The circumstances around him aren't the best. But he sure as hell hasn't been doing much to elevate the talent around him. The best qbs like mahomes and Brady do that.  That's why you see new England shitting their pants right now. Sorry ass qb play. 

His untimely turnovers in particular were back breakers in at least 3 out of his 4 games 

Edited by Hoenheim

4 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

The circumstances around him aren't the best. But he sure as hell hasn't been doing much to elevate the talent around him. The best qbs like mahomes and Brady do that.  That's why you see new England shitting their pants right now. Sorry ass qb play. 

You were really expecting all that from a rookie QB on a bad team?

• Pie 1

He is just part of the problem and not the biggest problem by far. Coaching, play calling, poor roster building and above all a really bad owner who is meddling to an unknown extent who also can't hire or manage his employees for a damn. 

He looks bad objectively. Really bad. He looks like a QB that obviously peaked in school regardless of the mess around him. There is just no way around that. They all deserve blame and I don't see anyone that should be spared. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

You're just nut hugging if you repeatedly deflect all blame from Bryce it's getting old. 

His untimely turnovers in particular were back breakers in at least 3 out of his 4 games 

Turnovers are part of the growing pains.  I want us to open up the offense for him go no huddle and let him throw it down the field.  If he throws picks that is ok this year, learn from it.  As long as he is developing and getting TDs as well the turnovers are just part of it.  Hell Manning threw more INTs than TDs his rookie year and only won 3 games.  Brady and Mahomes were able to sit for at least a year so it's not apples to apples in a Young comparison.  

As several people have stated Stroud having a great year is making everyone be harder on Young.  Young hasn't played like the number 1 pick that I get, but he is simply playing like a rookie QB on a bad team with questionable coaching.  That's why I want him to let loose, improvise, spread the defense out and see if he can do any of those things he did at Alabama.  

• Pie 5

54 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

that missile hit by the linebacker after he chased down young basically solidifies for me that bryce is not athletic enough for the nfl and its only a matter of time before he takes the kill shot

Like the ones super athlete AR has been taking? Despite all of his negatives I will say that Young has shown to be pretty damn tough.  I'll give him that. 

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Turnovers are part of the growing pains.  I want us to open up the offense for him go no huddle and let him throw it down the field.  If he throws picks that is ok this year, learn from it.  As long as he is developing and getting TDs as well the turnovers are just part of it.  Hell Manning threw more INTs than TDs his rookie year and only won 3 games.  Brady and Mahomes were able to sit for at least a year so it's not apples to apples in a Young comparison.  

As several people have stated Stroud having a great year is making everyone be harder on Young.  Young hasn't played like the number 1 pick that I get, but he is simply playing like a rookie QB on a bad team with questionable coaching.  That's why I want him to let loose, improvise, spread the defense out and see if he can do any of those things he did at Alabama.  

Your first paragraph is what I want to focus on. It’s more easy to forgive the QB and the offense as a whole if we were trying more things downfield. AT is open basically whenever he wants to be. He can run a 10 yard post and he would be open. Let’s open it up more and then the short stuff would be open more. 

• Pie 1