• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetically speaking, if we still had our 1st round pick and ended up with the first pick..

Hypothetical 2024 Number 1 Pick  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If the Panthers actually had the number 1 pick in 2024, what would you want to do with it?

• Draft Caleb Williams
    • Draft Drake Maye
    • Draft someone else
    • Trade pick away

13 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

lol is this a real question?

They’d take a QB, re-set the clock on the rookie contract and trade Bryce for whatever we could get, would be the biggest no brainer decision of all time.

I mean you’d think it would be a no brainer but look at Chicago. Ryan Poles is going to get bailed out big time due to our incompetence. 

Fields clearly ain’t it and he just passed on these guys. There are a lot of bad teams this year and there’s still 11 games left but if Chicago misses out on Williams and Maye by a game then that’s a massive mistake by Poles.

I got hammered for suggesting Chicago do just that because I too thought it would be a no brainer to reset rookie clock and try again 

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I mean you’d think it would be a no brainer but look at Chicago. Ryan Poles is going to get bailed out big time due to our incompetence. 

Fields clearly ain’t it and he just passed on these guys. There are a lot of bad teams this year and there’s still 11 games left but if Chicago misses out on Williams and Maye by a game then that’s a massive mistake by Poles.

I got hammered for suggesting Chicago do just that because I too thought it would be a no brainer to reset rookie clock and try again 

The difference is that if you combined this year's QB draft class with next years, not a single analyst would put Bryce or Stroud above either Williams or Maye.

The question marks around the QBs in this year's draft are the only reason keeping Fields and trading the pick was even an option, in any year there was an unquestioned #1 prospect with elite potential, the Bears take the QB and trade Fields.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

These QBs weren’t going to succeed in Chicago. It made the most sense to get more assets for their pick to build a team and they got a LT, #1 WR, #2 Corner for it so far plus they’ll have a chance at Maye or Williams in this upcoming draft. 

Caleb is the highest rated draft QB since Lawrence who was the highest since Luck. I wouldn’t risk passing on him. The QBs in this class had significantly more questions around them than he does. I don’t like the kid as I think he’s a bit of an ass but I don’t see any way you trade away the Williams pick if you have it. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The difference is that if you combined this year's QB draft class with next years, not a single analyst would put Bryce or Stroud above either Williams or Maye.

The question marks around the QBs in this year's draft are the only reason keeping Fields and trading the pick was even an option, in any year there was an unquestioned #1 prospect with elite potential, the Bears take the QB and trade Fields.

100%. And because they did that they now have a franchise left tackle to block the blind side and DJ Moore at the 1 outside for Caleb to walk into. 

I love Stroud. I thought he was the best QB in last years class and to me it wasn’t that close. However, Williams for sure gets another grade than any QB in any recent class, even over Lawrence, to me. I don’t think a QB will be this highly ranked going into the draft since Luck. And Maye , to me, is in the same conversation for me as Stroud and I would have put him above Young and Richardson and the others for sure if they were all in the same class. 

16 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

So much has to go wrong to end up with a top 2 pick. There is no way Poles was honestly gambling on that but he is going to get bailed out 

And we’ll see about Caleb. I just watched him stink it up against ND. He trust his arm way too much. Some are beginning to wonder just how much of his game translates to the NFL

14 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

So much has to go wrong to end up with a top 2 pick. There is no way Poles was honestly gambling on that but he is going to get bailed out 

And we’ll see about Caleb. I just watched him stink it up against ND. He trust his arm way too much. Some are beginning to wonder just how much of his game translates to the NFL

He wasn't gambling on ending up with another Top 2 pick, he was gambling on Fields being an elite QB if you gave him some help, like Moore and the OT that they drafted with our pick.

He's likely going to lose that gamble, but in the end, he'll end up as the big winner, especially if they miraculously end up with one of the QBs and Harrison.

Williams/Maye with Moore, Harrison, Kmet would be potentially nasty offense for years to come.

The haul you can get for trading out of #1 this year will likely set a new standard. 

We have a QB but need so much help in other areas. Trade back would be my vote. 

Have Tepper throw Drake 10mil to stay in school one more year in case Bryce doesn’t blossom by the end of year 2. Ha

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

He wasn't gambling on ending up with another Top 2 pick, he was gambling on Fields being an elite QB if you gave him some help, like Moore and the OT that they drafted with our pick.

He's likely going to lose that gamble, but in the end, he'll end up as the big winner, especially if they miraculously end up with one of the QBs and Harrison.

Williams/Maye with Moore, Harrison, Kmet would be potentially nasty offense for years to come.

He’s going to get extremely lucky. 

Teams like Arizona and Tampa on paper looked like they’d be going 0-17. Denver is an utter mess right now and might not win another. 

I figured at worst this would be similar to when the Bears traded for Fields and the Giants ended up with picks 5 and 7. If that’s what Chicago ended up with imo given they’d need a QB that was a massive mistake by Poles. Now luckily for Poles it looks like they’re going to do much better.