• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seriously, do y'all want a positive vibes only thread?

LinvilleGorge

Do y'all want a positive vibes only thread?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do y'all want a positive vibes only thread?

• Yes
    • No

I voted for a positive only thread, but as I read comments I'm not so sure that's the best approach. 

There just seems to be a lack of objectivity - and that can go both ways.

The emotionally mature approach would be to not allow OTHERS to dictate YOUR emotions. I'm guilty of that, but only for a short time. When I realize I've given them too much power, I tend to mellow out and come back to a discussion among fans of the same team. That's all this is. Discussions about topics related to a team we are all fans of. It should never be personal. I think that's where the MODs are probably needed most. Correcting those little (or sometimes completely out of line) personal comments that aren't necessary. 

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

The notion that there are posters who only want positivity and will not tolerate a single ounce of criticism towards the team is laughable on its face.  

those types largely do exist, but it's generally a position/mindset that emerges in the offseason and before the season starts off.   We certainly had that here.  As the season goes on, they shift from being as hardline.   Because, well, it is what it is. 

5 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Yep.  It's just the reality of the situation and comes with the territory of what this team did to get Bryce and how they marketed themselves this offseason.  Like you say, when the hate just turns into banter and one spammy liners, the critique gets lost.  

However, on the flipside, conflating that, and the current fandom mood into the whole "this board sucks" or pining for some long lost days of the huddle is just silly.  It's a message board people.  It is what you make it, we're not here to delete threads and ban people galore.  

That's the most annoying content you see populating.  Ideally, sure, I'd love to see every thread on here like an Athletic deep dive article.  But getting down to it, I'd rather see a heated debate on Bryce between two dingbats than responses with the redundant "this place is going down to tubes" nonsense.

That's where the actual bans recently have come from.  It's from people being all coy, complaining via PM, and then eventually losing their sh*t, calling out the guy who gives them the place to chat.    

We can step in if it gets personal or goes overboard.  But some just need to deal with reality (not you cap'n, you cool).    

It's not too dissimilar to the beginning of Cam when we were getting used to all the anti-Cam accounts.  It's not even as bad honestly.  It's a cyclical process when you go through growing pains of a potential new QB, coaching issues, and a house flip like this team did.  

As a new mod, I'll be trying to help but seriously, some need to chill.  We can't dictate but we can help create the environment for good discussion.  That's the idea, hope more contribute.  

Very well stated 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

those types largely do exist, but it's generally a position/mindset that emerges in the offseason and before the season starts off.   We certainly had that here.  As the season goes on, they shift from being as hardline.   Because, well, it is what it is. 

I mean it just sounds like you're describing optimism...yes, there are optimistic posters here lol especially in the offseason when there's a clean slate and your imagination can run wild for your seasonal aspirations.  There's a huge leap IMO to go from "optimistic mindset" to "positivity only".  The latter suggests that these people are wholly intolerant of any criticism towards the team.

You can vaguely allude to this menacing shadow group of Huddlers but I'm willing to bet that if you actually gave me some names of who you think falls in this category, I could spend less than 30 seconds scrolling through their post history and find quite a lot of criticism towards the team...or "negativity", if you will.  I would maybe be willing to concede iamhubby/Gerry Green as the singular poster who you could argue would fall under the "positivity only" mindset.  Basically all the others are people who simply hold more nuanced positions than "everyone and everything sucks" and then get thrown into that category because they don't toe the line of the Huddle's Mean Girls.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean it just sounds like you're describing optimism...yes, there are optimistic posters here lol especially in the offseason when there's a clean slate and your imagination can run wild for your seasonal aspirations.  There's a huge leap IMO to go from "optimistic mindset" to "positivity only".  The latter suggests that these people are wholly intolerant of any criticism towards the team.

You can vaguely allude to this menacing shadow group of Huddlers but I'm willing to bet that if you actually gave me some names of who you think falls in this category, I could spend less than 30 seconds scrolling through their post history and find quite a lot of criticism towards the team...or "negativity", if you will.  I would maybe be willing to concede iamhubby/Gerry Green as the singular poster who you could argue would fall under the "positivity only" mindset.  Basically all the others are people who simply hold more nuanced positions than "everyone and everything sucks" and then get thrown into that category because they don't toe the line of the Huddle's Mean Girls.

I mean, there is optimism....and then are people who lecture and call out any post dares talk about the reality of a Ben McAdoo hire.  Or lecture you and post stalk for daring talk about the career of Miles Sanders or Frank Reich, and what essentially lead to them being here.   They go thread to thread and post to post defending the honor of everyone in blue and black. 

but like I said, that largely is a before the season kicks off thing.

there is nothing menacing about the "shadow group of huddlers" you reference.   They just exist from time to time.    

iamhubby is an extreme version of it.  there are some more watered down versions and sure, you can cherry pick out a couple axes they might have to grind in their posts.  Absolutes almost never exist nor should that be how things are argued.  I mean, saying someone represents the positive only segment doesn't mean if you find a post where they weren't nice about something they don't represent that "group".  I mean, I'm a Matt Rhule hater.  But you can find a post of me defending him in handful of moments.  I'm still a hater.  Those posts don't change the blanket term someone throws at me. 

and I have endorsed positive only threads in the past.  Who cares.  I think people should be allowed to bitch too.  So if a thread is marked where only bitching or cheering is going to be? Stay out of the one that would bother you.  That's my 2 cents. 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, there is optimism....and then are people who lecture and call out any post dares talk about the reality of a Ben McAdoo hire.  Or lecture you and post stalk for daring talk about the career of Miles Sanders or Frank Reich, and what essentially lead to them being here.   They go thread to thread and post to post defending the honor of everyone in blue and black. 

there is nothing menacing about the "shadow group of huddlers" you reference.   They just exist from time to time.    

iamhubby is an extreme version of it.  there are some more watered down versions and sure, you can cherry pick out a couple axes they might have to grind in their posts.  Absolutes almost never exist nor should that be how things are argued.  I mean, saying someone represents the positive only segment doesn't mean if you find a post where they weren't nice about something they don't represent that "group".  I mean, I'm a Matt Rhule hater.  But you can find a post of me defending him in handful of moments.  I'm still a hater.  Those posts don't change the blanket term someone throws at me. 

I distinctly remember the vast majority being extremely underwhelmed at the "rockstar OC" McAdoo hire. 

Also, there is a not-insignificant number of posters here who are constant doom and gloom during the offseason, and will incessantly mock anyone with optimism. Don't confuse complaints about these posters with "you're not allowed to say anything negative".

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

iamhubby is an extreme version of it.  there are some more watered down versions and sure, you can cherry pick out a couple axes they might have to grind in their posts.  Absolutes almost never exist nor should that be how things are argued.  I mean, saying someone represents the positive only segment doesn't mean if you find a post where they weren't nice about something they don't represent that "group". 

You making the bolded claim quite literally means yes, I can go to someone's post history and pick out posts criticizing the players/team and that wholly refutes what you just said.  That's the problem with making hyperbolic claims like you are doing - they are very easy to prove wrong.

It just sounds like you have a problem with people disagreeing with you.  Are these people offering up arguments as to why they thought Miles Sanders and Frank Reich were good acquisitions?  Or are they just saying "Shut up!  Shut up!" to you in thread after thread?  I remember getting into arguments with you about McAdoo and I was generally always backing up my position with data and numbers from the Giants before and after McAdoo.  So am I one of these people simply defending the honor of everyone in blue and black?  Or did I have a difference in opinion and explain why I thought differently?  Again, the implication of "positivity only" Huddlers is that they are irrational and can't handle criticism.

Hell, you were a big defender of Joe Brady for the longest time on these boards so it sounds like you are one of the same people who you are describing because I distinctly remember virtually every time he was mentioned in a negative light, you would rush in and defend him.  Were you being "positivity only" or did you simply have a difference of opinion about a member of our organization?

Also I'm just curious: based on your very loose description of "positivity only" Huddlers...I've gotta assume you believe in the existence of "negativity only" Huddlers as well?

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, travisura said:

I distinctly remember the vast majority being extremely underwhelmed at the "rockstar OC" McAdoo hire. 

Also, there is a not-insignificant number of posters here who are constant doom and gloom during the offseason, and will incessantly mock anyone with optimism. Don't confuse complaints about these posters with "you're not allowed to say anything negative".

huddle going to huddle. 

my favorite part of the huddle is when people suddenly act like it used to be different in the good old days.  In the good old days you could find people ripping Peppers to shreds for his play, moaning about every pick, contract, and as spirited of debates as you could find on every QB from Matt Moore to Jake Delhomme.    

and the reverse was also true.  You could find idiots like me pimping Dwayne Jarrett even past the point of embarrassment.  POSITIVITY!  He just needs more opportunity!!!!

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You making the bolded claim quite literally means yes, I can go to someone's post history and pick out posts criticizing the players/team and that wholly refutes what you just said.  That's the problem with making hyperbolic claims like you are doing - they are very easy to prove wrong.

It just sounds like you have a problem with people disagreeing with you.  Are these people offering up arguments as to why they thought Miles Sanders and Frank Reich were good acquisitions?  Or are they just saying "Shut up!  Shut up!" to you in thread after thread?  I remember getting into arguments with you about McAdoo and I was generally always backing up my position with data and numbers from the Giants before and after McAdoo.  So am I one of these people simply defending the honor of everyone in blue and black?  Or did I have a difference in opinion and explain why I thought differently?  Again, the implication of "positivity only" Huddlers is that they are irrational and can't handle criticism.

Hell, you were a big defender of Joe Brady for the longest time on these boards so it sounds like you are one of the same people who you are describing because I distinctly remember virtually every time he was mentioned in a negative light, you would rush in and defend him.  Were you being "positivity only" or did you simply have a difference of opinion about a member of our organization?

Also I'm just curious: based on your very loose description of "positivity only" Huddlers...I've gotta assume you believe in the existence of "negativity only" Huddlers as well?

My experience has been like this. 

Oh well at least Young is starting to progress.  He looked a lot better this past game. *references good play or good data* He still needs a better supporting cast. (I'm assuming this is a "safe place" always positive person "coping")

LOL meth is one hell of a drug.  Young's noodle can't even throw it 5 yards. He needs an elite team around him to even look decent.  (Mean Girls Mafia)

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I'll try to word it again.  You can call me a Matt Rhule hater.  It's true. 

I could however find posts where I defend him.  That doesn't then mean I am not a Matt Rhule hater. 

arguing about things in absolutes is bologna.   They don't really exist. Calling me a Matt Rhule hater doesn't mean that literally every word I utter is negative about him. 

and I don't think you really read what I said.  I don't give a poo what anyone here thinks.  And I fully support threads without bitching or just for bitching.  Label it and stay out if that's not your thing. None of it matters to me. 

I wasn't a big Joe Brady defender.  That's what the Matt Rhule sunshine brigade labeled me.  I was a defender of not allowing a green and weak first time OC to be the scapegoat for how horrific Matt Rhule was and what he was doing here.   And I stand by every thought I had on that.  Brady was what he was.  Matt Rhule sunshine squad wanted him to be the fall guy for the Rhule shitshow at that time.  I wasn't having it.  It was Rhule.  It was Fitt.  Joe Brady was just a green OC trying to learn.   He was never the biggest problem.  And I think that is pretty well proven. 

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

My experience has been like this. 

Oh well at least Young is starting to progress.  He looked a lot better this past game. *references good play or good data* He still needs a better supporting cast. (I'm assuming this is a "safe place" always positive person "coping")

LOL meth is one hell of a drug.  Young's noodle can't even throw it 5 yards. He needs an elite team around him to even look decent.  (Mean Girls Mafia)

Oh god, if guys like you and Casillas are considered "positivity only" posters, then we're all doomed.  I would say I'm least one tier below you guys since I have a much harder time maintaining my composure when MGM starts slinging mud.  You two have the patience of a saint...truly the best our caveman community has to offer.

6 hours ago, Cullenator said:

I know high school civics was boring but you might want to revisit that material

excuse me sir…

protecting peoples right to express grievance and speak freely is pretty applicable in this sense. 

in response to OP, censoring the negative does not seem to be a good solution. if people are being abusive - hit’em with a ban but if people are upset the team’s performance is not meeting their expectations..it seems valid to express that here of all places