• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Football Week 8

Shocker

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Maybe this QB class is overrated?

The depth in this class is bananas. Not sure about the top end talent being "generational." Williams isn't as polished as some seem to think.

Maye is supremely talented but I am not convinced he is a top tier QB prospect yet. But, going back to UNC would be a bad idea because I don't think he will develop any further there. More of a project than I think most are thinking.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Lol. Perfectly timed for an 89 yd DTD to make that narrative shift.

It was a terrible game for him. Reminded me of what he looked like when he played at Indiana. I’m skeptical of most kids who go out west and put up massive numbers like Penix, Nix, Minshew, Eason, and I’m sure I’m forgetting others as I wake up for the day. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The depth in this class is bananas. Not sure about the top end talent being "generational." Williams isn't as polished as some seem to think.

Maye is supremely talented but I am not convinced he is a top tier QB prospect yet. But, going back to UNC would be a bad idea because I don't think he will develop any further there. More of a project than I think most are thinking.

Yep and the reason we should have built our skill positions (outside of QB) this season, let this coaching staff get acclimated to one another, rode with a veteran like Dalton and THEN got our QB in the draft this spring.

*incoming form the peanut gallery*

"But you say that every year!"

For the record,  I do not.

22 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yep and the reason we should have built our skill positions (outside of QB) this season, let this coaching staff get acclimated to one another, rode with a veteran like Dalton and THEN got our QB in the draft this spring.

*incoming form the peanut gallery*

"But you say that every year!"

For the record,  I do not.

I’m not sold on this class outside of the top 2 in Williams and Maye. Depth is nice but if I’m drafting a QB I’m looking for  starter and I don’t see it in guys like Nix and Penix. I also didn’t think highly of Hooker last year and I’d put them in his tier. 

Older dudes dominating college football after transfers. Penix and Nix will turn 24 before the draft. This is Penix like 6th year of college ball. I’m not trying to give a QB until he turns 27 to figure out if he can be the guy or not in the NFL. 

13 minutes ago, Varking said:

I’m not sold on this class outside of the top 2 in Williams and Maye. Depth is nice but if I’m drafting a QB I’m looking for  starter and I don’t see it in guys like Nix and Penix. I also didn’t think highly of Hooker last year and I’d put them in his tier. 

Older dudes dominating college football after transfers. Penix and Nix will turn 24 before the draft. This is Penix like 6th year of college ball. I’m not trying to give a QB until he turns 27 to figure out if he can be the guy or not in the NFL. 

Older dudes like Brock Purdy?  The older QB argument is completely bogus.  I used to buy into it too.  As long as the added years weren't due to major injuries, I'm fine drafting and 24 or 25 year-old QB.  I also bought into the the young phenom fallacy too.  QBs coming out early have struggled, the earlier they leave college, the more they struggle.  This is a REALLY seasoned QB class.  QBs probably have the longest shelf life of any position in football outside of special teams types.  So what if they are a couple of years older?  If they can play well into their mid-30's, those 'extra' years of college are actually beneficial.  I've come to realize that this game is too big for a 22-23 year old on the biggest stage at arguably the hardest position to play in all of sports.

Penix will be a solid NFL QB.  Nix, I'm not so sure, but I'd put him above mayo&coffee boy this year.  I haven't dug into much yet.  I usually start around Thanksgiving.  Just basing my early thoughts off of last draft's digging, but  that being said, this seems to be the class to get a QB.

32 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Older dudes like Brock Purdy?  The older QB argument is completely bogus.  I used to buy into it too.  As long as the added years weren't due to major injuries, I'm fine drafting and 24 or 25 year-old QB.  I also bought into the the young phenom fallacy too.  QBs coming out early have struggled, the earlier they leave college, the more they struggle.  This is a REALLY seasoned QB class.  QBs probably have the longest shelf life of any position in football outside of special teams types.  So what if they are a couple of years older?  If they can play well into their mid-30's, those 'extra' years of college are actually beneficial.  I've come to realize that this game is too big for a 22-23 year old on the biggest stage at arguably the hardest position to play in all of sports.

Penix will be a solid NFL QB.  Nix, I'm not so sure, but I'd put him above mayo&coffee boy this year.  I haven't dug into much yet.  I usually start around Thanksgiving.  Just basing my early thoughts off of last draft's digging, but  that being said, this seems to be the class to get a QB.

To be fair, Purdy is not old and he didn’t have to transfer to another school to find success. He’s currently 23 years old in his second season in the NFL and turns 24 in December. Both Penix and Nix will be 24 when they are drafted.

I guess you could argue that he is older in the sense that he spent four years in college but all four years were spent at Iowa State.

Purdy was 22, the age that you said was too young for QB’s on the biggest stage, when he was leading the 49ers to the postseason last year.

There’s also a debate as to whether Purdy is just an average QB surrounded by elite coaching (Shanahan) and talent (McCaffrey, Kittle, Samuel, and Aiyuk) or if he’s an above average QB. Unfortunately we’ll never know the answer to that unless Purdy leaves San Francisco.

But back to the main premise, Penix’s and Nix’s career paths are more similar to Kenny Pickett’s than Purdy’s, and we are seeing how well the Pickett experience is going right now (sarcasm).

This isn’t to say that Penix and Nix couldn’t be nice players at the NFL level but I don’t think the success of Brock Purdy really proves that they could be, their career paths aren’t really similar at all.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, JVic said:

Fuuck Mack Brown.

Going for it on 4th and 12 in chip shot FG range with roughly three and a half minutes on the clock and all three timeouts in your back pocket was just inexcusable. Continuing to play a guy who was dropping everything and visibly coming apart on the sidelines was just inexcusable. Sometimes you have to save a kid from melting down when he's having a terrible game. As bad as we were overall last night McCollum's constant drops honestly cost us the game. I can't ever remember a receiver dropping that many passes in one game probably because they don't get an opportunity to do it. At some point the coach wakes up and yanks them. Not Mack, not last night.

ACC refs absolutely jobbing UNC at home. Should have been up 31-24 on a TD called back on a Panthers level bogus holding call. This league just dumb af does not deserve relevance always getting in the way of the top schools. Who tf makes that call against your undefeated t10 team in favor of your bottom team. It’s a bad call no matter what but jfc.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Going for it on 4th and 12 in chip shot FG range with roughly three and a half minutes on the clock and all three timeouts in your back pocket was just inexcusable. Continuing to play a guy who was dropping everything and visibly coming apart on the sidelines was just inexcusable. Sometimes you have to save a kid from melting down when he's having a terrible game. As bad as we were overall last night McCollum's constant drops honestly cost us the game. I can't ever remember a receiver drooling that many passes in one game probably because they don't get an opportunity to do it. At some point the coach wakes up and yanks them. Not Mack, not last night.

McCollum looked like he was throwing the game last night, that’s how bad it was. J.J. Jones had some drops as well. And then the one catch I believe McCollum did make for a TD (it might have been Jones, my brain is foggy), Morales was in the backfield tackling his assignment negating the play.

Meanwhile Andre Greene and Gavin Blackwell are cozied up on the sideline waiting for an opportunity.

Not sure what the point of having 100 kids on a college team is if you don’t use them when you need them.

5 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

McCollum looked like he was throwing the game last night, that’s how bad it was. J.J. Jones had some drops as well. And then the one catch I believe McCollum did make for a TD (it might have been Jones, my brain is foggy), Morales was in the backfield tackling his assignment negating the play.

Meanwhile Andre Greene and Gavin Blackwell are cozied up on the sideline waiting for an opportunity.

Not sure what the point of having 100 kids on a college team is if you don’t use them when you need them.

I think that was JJ and that call was absolute bullshit. Defender fell down trying to get low and Morales was blocking him.

• Pie 1