• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Horn

raleigh-panther

6 hours ago, KSpan said:

No need for the melodrama - most people still would have retained TD given that he signed a low-risk contract wiht only $8MM guaranteed for the $36MM, 5 year deal. There is always a financial point where risk and reward balance out, and that's why folks are saying that Horn's next contract should be incentive-laden. 

Question is, will a player like Horn accept that kind of deal if he continues to not be healthy? If not then yeah, the risk/reqard profile may not be right for Carolina and/or other teams. That's the reality of how it works.

No melodrama.  Fact is, he’d not played a down since early November, 2009 and was given a a new $36 million contract with $7 million signing bonus (you forgot that part) in late July 2011-nearly 2 years since taking a snap.  A lot of the fans were losing their collective minds and calling for Hurney’s head (which was, and always will be SOP with any fanbase when the GM makes a move they don’t like)

Fans are fickle and prone to groupthink and easily swayed by confirmation bias.  Easy to overlook anything counter to what you perceive and easy to point out anything even remotely matching your POV….real or imagined.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, BY9Franchise said:

Availability is the greatest ability... they say he's been very very good when he has been on the field unfortunately he's almost never on the field.

When he hits the free agent market, he very well could be the most talented to hit Free agenc. Most CB's of his talent never hit the free market.  So he could easily end up commanding way more money than most realize. 

I'm not saying we should extend him. Just spelling out the basic economics of the NFL Free Agency. 

So, yes, availability and timing are very important.  

Edited by pantherclaw

8 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

When he hits the free agent market, he very well could be the most talented to hit Free agenc. Most CB's of his talent never hit the free market.  So he could easily end up commanding way more money than most realize. 

I'm not saying we should extend him. Just spelling out the basic economics of the NFL Free Agency. 

So, yes, availability and timing are very important.  

There’s no way he gets extended imo unless he comes back this year and is completely shut down. But even then I bet we wouldn’t sign an extension in part bc he’d want to gamble on himself. 

Jaycee is doing the same thing to us that CMC did just to a higher degree. How many games has CMC missed for the niners? None? It’s the most frustrating thing about pro sports and is why I mostly watch CFB right now. 

2 hours ago, unicar15 said:

There’s no way he gets extended imo unless he comes back this year and is completely shut down. But even then I bet we wouldn’t sign an extension in part bc he’d want to gamble on himself. 

Jaycee is doing the same thing to us that CMC did just to a higher degree. How many games has CMC missed for the niners? None? It’s the most frustrating thing about pro sports and is why I mostly watch CFB right now. 

At this point, with the limited draft capital and with the free agents we need to sign, I dont think we have a choice to not pick up his 5th year option.  Might as well do it and pray he can stay healthy rather then try to replace him.  We have far too many other holes to fill and he is at least on the team under contract. 

4 hours ago, unicar15 said:

Conspiracy theory much??

I never said that Panther should sign Horn to an extension.  Although if he balls out and stays healthy when he returns, it's a distinct possibility.  If not, I'm sure some.other team will take the risk and sign him for mote money tha. The PA there are willing to throw at him. 

20 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Hey Doc, you can say anything you want. Free country. Not sure what it means to still be saying that at this point though.  Just being Honest. 

Means I was right and some people need to eat crow. That’s all. Not witch hunting and naming names but they probably know who they were. Just saying

19 hours ago, EgoDogg said:

I was right there with you. I'm a Penn State alumni and fan. It felt like fate that he'd be there shortly after Luke's retirement and I was surprised they passed him up. as @pantherclaw said above, it's a moot point now. And Horn does look like he could be a lockdown guy. Unfortunately, he's had terrible stretch of luck with injuries. Nobody could've predicted that. Let's hope the injury bug is done with him after this.

That was my take after Luke retired. The top rated LB’er of the draft was sitting there for us from LB U and we went with a luxery pick? Was so stupid imo at the time. Top tier LB’ers are far more versatile and valuable to me than a CB. Shut down corners are nice, but they’re luxuries not necessities.

Edited by Doc Holiday
  • Beer 1