• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canty low-key just battered Bryce on Greeny

top dawg

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Mike Greenberg basically asked Chris Canty if the Panthers screwed up by taking Bryce Young over C.J. Stroud.

Canty said that he hadn't seen enough "moments of brilliance" in Bryce's rookie season to justify saying that we didn't screw up.

He also said that he knows that Frank Reich and Jim Caldwell KNOW how to develop a QB from dealing with them on a personal level during his career. He said that he knows that Josh McCown knows how to tell Bryce which way to go from the many years that he competed against him. 

Canty basically insinuated that it can't be them, so it must be Bryce. To be fair, he didn't say this expressly, and he was kind of straining when he expressed his views in a miffed kind of way, but him not having an answer as to why Bryce hasn't shown a lot, was an answer unto itself.

This was only a few minutes ago, so we have to look for the audio

Bullshit

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've got a quarterback that's ideally suited to a West Coast Offense surrounded with ten positions manned by Coryell type players.

That's just not gonna work, and what makes it worse is it's an extremely difficult problem to fix.

Bryce's issues have very little to do with the type of offense. As a first overall pick QB his arm talent is supposed to be what separates him from other QB's. He did not look much different than Tyson Bagent. Then you have his size disadvantage and the fact we have to run so much shotgun to fit his strengths and that further limits any offense you build around him.

All we can do now is hope to maximize his ability to manage the game with a new incoming staff next season.

• Pie 1

Just now, frankw said:

Bryce's issues have very little to do with the type of offense. As a first overall pick QB his arm talent is supposed to be what separates him from other QB's. He did not look much different than Tyson Bagent. Then you have his size disadvantage and the fact we have to run so much shotgun to fit his strengths and that further limits any offense you build around him.

All we can do now is hope to maximize his ability to manage the game with a new incoming staff next season.

Most of the best WCO quarterbacks in the league had only moderate arm strength. It's not a necessity for this type of attack, or even for an E-P like Brady ran for pretty much his whole career.

But you can't have as big a personnel mismatch as we have and expect to still run that sort of scheme.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Unless your name is Nicole, I'm afraid I have my doubts 😕

Yeah there are endless Nicoles to throw at him along the way. All I know is that you can convince that man of anything if you have the ability to BS him in the ways he likes. 

Just do what Rhule did and say he is just another Teddy. It has literally already worked on him once

Edited by Waldo

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Most of the best WCO quarterbacks in the league had only moderate arm strength. It's not a necessity for this type of attack, or even for an E-P like Brady ran for pretty much his whole career.

But you can't have as big a personnel mismatch as we have and expect to still run that sort of scheme.

with the rules favoring the qb and rules favoring the wide receivers the nfl has moved from WCO to pushing the ball down field vertical passing game

One of the biggest things I see that I'm baffled at, is how lackadaisical  he is in his footwork after a snap. He literally  just nonchalantly  steps back. It's like he is using the steps to digest bc he can't see properly or he just needs  more urgency.  Yes, our oline is bad but he knows that and I see no fluid n fast movement for him to step back and step into a throw at all!!

Edited by Lurk21
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not the only solution...

For one, I pointed out in the other thread that you could retool the scheme to suit the players we have this year leading into next year.

But then of course, there is the option mentioned by others to simply get a quarterback who fits what we're doing rather than one who doesn't.

Nice idea perhaps, but how do you do that given what we already gave up to get this quarterback?

It's like the story of Tantalus.

They had all offseason to put a scheme that would fit our rookie QB, do you really trust them to do it now?

I don't. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

with the rules favoring the qb and rules favoring the wide receivers the nfl has moved from WCO to pushing the ball down field vertical passing game

Just the opposite actually...

Death of the long pass: Are vertical plays trending toward extinction?

E-P, WCO and spread type concepts are way more common these days than the Coryell style approach.

There are still longballers of course, but analysis of trends in recent seasons shows things moving in the other direction.

During the pre-draft process, it was so blatantly obvious that Josh McCown had a flaming man-crush on CJ Stroud.  He liked Bryce, sure, but McCown clearly thought Stroud was the better prospect.  At the OSU Pro Day, McCown was even talking about shooting hoops with Stroud in Charlotte.

SOMETHING changed that - and it certainly wasn't anything Stroud did on the field.  Tepper is a known believer in analytics.  He bought hook, line and sinker into that (*&@$ S2 test.  Nicole looked at Young and saw someone her size.

The Teppers didn't have to influence the decision much.  Just "enough".  I think our staff "liked" Bryce, and the Teppers tipped the scale when otherwise the staff would probably have made a different decision.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

During the pre-draft process, it was so blatantly obvious that Josh McCown had a flaming man-crush on CJ Stroud.  He liked Bryce, sure, but McCown clearly thought Stroud was the better prospect.  At the OSU Pro Day, McCown was even talking about shooting hoops with Stroud in Charlotte.

SOMETHING changed that - and it certainly wasn't anything Stroud did on the field.  Tepper is a known believer in analytics.  He bought hook, line and sinker into that (*&@$ S2 test.  Nicole looked at Young and saw someone her size.

The Teppers didn't have to influence the decision much.  Just "enough".  I think our staff "liked" Bryce, and the Teppers tipped the scale when otherwise the staff would probably have made a different decision.

bingo