• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers owner admits a three-way trade for the No. 1 pick was in place two days before it happened

TeppersEgos

9 hours ago, TeppersEgos said:

From the article, “According to Panthers owner David Tepper, however, that wasn't how the trade was originally drawn up.

"We had a trade to go up to No. 2," Tepper said. "It was a three-way trade with Chicago. And we were gonna go up to No. 2. And the Texans were gonna trade up to No. 1, Chicago was gonna go to No. 2, and we were gonna trade with Chicago (for No. 9 pick).

And we're waiting. I think we had that trade kinda arranged on Wednesday. I come from a world where you do trades, and I don't love when trades don't happen right away. So I'm driving Scott [Fitterer] crazy. I have to apologize to Scott for this, by the way.”

It sounds like Houston backed out and figured that the Panthers were going to take Young with the first pick. They were perfectly content drafting Stroud with the second pick. Tepper got frustrated when they backed out and basically demanded a trade that would net the Panthers the first pick. This is why you don’t let the owner function as a GM. I guess in a way it worked out because Carolina and Houston both got their guy, but it’s looking increasingly likely that the Panthers got rolled because Tepper insisted on getting his guy. It doesn’t matter if they replace the scouting and front office if the owner is insisting on things like this. The moment you negotiate out of desperation you’ve lost.

https://sports.yahoo.com/panthers-owner-admits-three-way-232230991.html

so much for the "texans would def take young at 1" theory

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

so much for the "texans would def take young at 1" theory

Looks like the author throws up 3 different theories. The only thing we definitely know is they didn’t agree with the value of trading up to 1. 

Alas, the Texans averted from the plan in place. Clearly, they either believed the Panthers would take Young and they could get their guy with the No. 2 pick. Or, they were satisfied with drafting whoever the Panthers didn't take at quarterback. Maybe, however, they weren't satisfied with the price they would have to pay in the trade.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Looks like the author throws up 3 different theories. The only thing we definitely know is they didn’t agree with the value of trading up to 1. 

Alas, the Texans averted from the plan in place. Clearly, they either believed the Panthers would take Young and they could get their guy with the No. 2 pick. Or, they were satisfied with drafting whoever the Panthers didn't take at quarterback. Maybe, however, they weren't satisfied with the price they would have to pay in the trade.

Like I have said for months now, we simply dont know how the draft would have unfolded.  Teams float confusing intel to reporters or "insiders" every year to muddy the process.  Looks like we bit on some bad intel.   If the texans really wanted bryce then they would have bryce as the bears could have flipped with different trades but that didnt happen.  Qbs fall every draft.  Every single draft someone falls.

Why the hell we didnt simply stay where we were and see how the draft unfolded in real time is fuging criminal.  We panicked and overpaid for young.  That is clear as day now. 

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Like I have said for months now, we simply dont know how the draft would have unfolded.  Teams float confusing intel to reporters or "insiders" every year to muddy the process.  Looks like we bit on some bad intel.   If the texans really wanted bryce then they would have bryce as the bears could have flipped with different trades but that didnt happen.  Qbs fall every draft.  Every single draft someone falls.

Why the hell we didnt simply stay where we were and see how the draft unfolded in real time is fuging criminal.  We panicked and overpaid for young.  That is clear as day now. 

Even if they wanted Young there are limits to that want. They weren’t going to pay out to move up one spot, especially when you have someone like Stroud sitting there at two. They preferred one no doubt but we’re willing to pick whoever dropped and use some assets to trade back up for Anderson. QB2 plus Anderson was better than QB1 and no Anderson. 
We absolutely overpaid for Young and left him with nothing on offense. We gave up too much, picked the lesser of the 2 QBs, and put him in a worse spot. Great job Carolina…

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, electro's horse said:

Tepper really showing what he thinks of the fan base by admitting this. Either that or he’s completely oblivious. 

id take this to the grave. 

One of the reporters (Mike Kaye, I think) clarified that Tepper actually said this shortly after the draft.

It's being brought back up now because of how things have played out since 

Here's the part of the article I find most concerning...

"We had a trade to go up to No. 2," Tepper said. "It was a three-way trade with Chicago. And we were gonna go up to No. 2. And the Texans were gonna trade up to No. 1, Chicago was gonna go to No. 2, and we were gonna trade with Chicago (for No. 9 pick).

"And we're waiting. I think we had that trade kinda arranged on Wednesday. I come from a world where you do trades, and I don't love when trades don't happen right away. So I'm driving Scott [Fitterer] crazy. I have to apologize to Scott for this, by the way.

"I said 'What's going on with these guys? This doesn't feel right. What's going on?' So Wednesday goes. Thursday goes. We get to Friday and the Texans changed their mind about doing the three-way trade. It's Friday afternoon and Scott talked to [Ryan] Poles. And basically, he got a value that he would accept for us to move up to No. 1."

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's the part of the article I find most concerning...

"And we're waiting. I think we had that trade kinda arranged on Wednesday. I come from a world where you do trades, and I don't love when trades don't happen right away. So I'm driving Scott [Fitterer] crazy. I have to apologize to Scott for this, by the way.

"I said 'What's going on with these guys? This doesn't feel right. What's going on?' So Wednesday goes. Thursday goes. We get to Friday and the Texans changed their mind about doing the three-way trade. It's Friday afternoon and Scott talked to [Ryan] Poles. And basically, he got a value that he would accept for us to move up to No. 1."

When the ignorant fans ask “how do you know Tepper is meddling” this is what I show them 

• Pie 1

This is scary in more ways than one. Firstly, the fact somebody as unqualified as the Teppers are calling the shots in major transactions is already bad enough. But it's the fact that Fitterer might actually stay after this year. Fitterer sucks no doubt, but he's a "yes man" for Tepper that allows him to call these shots. What I'm trying to say is that Fitterer's not going anywhere. No other competent potential GM is going to put up with this sh*t.

After the draft the Texans HC said they didn't need to trade to #1 because they didn't think the Panthers would pick there guy. It makes sense now.

Carolina was hoping the Texans wanted Young bad ... When that didn't happen they went with "the #1 QB" 

11 hours ago, jasonluckydog said:

You know I'm wrong about Young. I have been a harsh critic of his playing style this year but I no longer fault him for the bad play this season. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he is on a horrible shitty team. If he doesn't improve next season, well fug him.

He’s not as bad as he looks this year but he’s not going to be a star. With better supporting cast I can see him around 12-15 best QB in the league. Stroud may be top 5 in a year or so

• Pie 1