• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The elephant in the zone

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So I found this Reddit Thread from 8 years ago complaining about Reich trying to force his square peg Zone blocking scheme onto a round hole power offensive line:

It's just inexcusable at this point.

I went back to check who has offensive line coaches were with the Colts. Initially it was a guy that came from the Patriots who didn't last long (he hasn't lasted long anywhere honestly).

For four of the five years though, the OL coach was Chris Strausser, a guy who at this moment is coaching the offensive line of the Texans.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think Ickey would be "marginally better" at left guard. I think he'd be significantly better. The problem is that pretty much anybody we put at left tackle would also be significantly worse.

Mike Kaye suggested moving Bozeman to left guard and trying Cade Mays at center. Don't know if that works either but it's an option.

The problem though is that none of these options work unless we move to a power run heavy offense.

If we're not going to do that, then it's just Titanic deck chairs.

But what is the difference between pass protecting 40+ times a game at guard versus LT? Without scheme change, it just is what it is

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Said elsewhere, that's what I really don't get.

Campen would obviously know, but I find it hard to believe he's the only one. Hell, it's been called out by analysts, reporters and fans alike.

Is anybody talking about it internally?

If I know and the most I've done is highschool oline play, then the team had to know...

Right?

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

But what is the difference between pass protecting 40+ times a game at guard versus LT? Without scheme change, it just is what it is

You have somebody on both sides of you on the interior line. They can't just take a wide path and run around you.

It tends to be a better spot for guys like Ickey who have trouble with speed rushers.