• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston sums it up

TN05

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wasn't a proponent of keeping Wilks but if you were being honest in that you were firing Rhule at that time to give Wilks an opportunity to prove himself through making the team substantially better then he did that. To jettison him to end up with this, well... it's basically just the Tepper era Panthers in a nutshell. What we had wasn't great but damn if it wasn't better than this.

If Tepper still wanted Bryce, then there would be little difference if Wilks was our coach.  Sure, we may have run the ball heavily for another win or two this season, but this kid isn't NFL material.

• Beer 1

Pretty sure if Wilks was retained Young still would have been the pick. So pretty sure the team would not be any better. Tepper maybe did Wilks a favor by letting him go than to have to deal with this mess.

Young cannot run the offense the Panthers want to run and/or they do not have the personnel to run it. Either way it is a failure and it is due to a meddling owner but his influence on key decisions.

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wasn't a proponent of keeping Wilks but if you were being honest in that you were firing Rhule at that time to give Wilks an opportunity to prove himself through making the team substantially better then he did that. To jettison him to end up with this, well... it's basically just the Tepper era Panthers in a nutshell. What we had wasn't great but damn if it wasn't better than this.

I’m admittedly a Wilkes guy from the beginning, but I can understand the other side as well.

The politics dictated that the team had to give him at least a real shot, but never did. He took over a smoldering  ****show of losers  and overnight had them busting dudes in the mouth, setting team rushing records, winning games and Panther football was back. That’s coach of the year material. What did they have to lose in a 2 year prove it type contract? 

token interview. Peace out. 

But it was winning Jerry’s way. Dave had to win Dave’s way. 

• Flames 3

A large faction of you didn't want Wilks to get the job, because he couldn't find a way to cover Mike Evans with a depleted secondary to the point that they had to sign coffee shop baristas

The fact that he still even had them in contention for the division that late in the season with that roster was amazing, but nooooo, we need an offensive minded coach

• Pie 3
  • Flames 4

13 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If Tepper still wanted Bryce, then there would be little difference if Wilks was our coach.  Sure, we may have run the ball heavily for another win or two this season, but this kid isn't NFL material.

I'm just saying that Tepper basically got exposed for being full of poo acting like he was firing Rhule to give Wilks a legit shot. He got mad that he was being embarrassed by his shitty hire and fired him. It made sense IF you were giving an assistant a legit shot to earn the job. But if you weren't a smart owner would've just stuck with Rhule as a tank commander to avoid having to make the trade up that we had to make.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, thennek said:

Pretty sure if Wilks was retained Young still would have been the pick. So pretty sure the team would not be any better. Tepper maybe did Wilks a favor by letting him go than to have to deal with this mess.

Young cannot run the offense the Panthers want to run and/or they do not have the personnel to run it. Either way it is a failure and it is due to a meddling owner but his influence on key decisions.

i'm confident that if wilks was the head coach, young would be benched by now and we'd be watching andy dalton under center.

one thing he was consistent with was accountability. if he made mistakes, he would admit them and make changes. if players made mistakes, they would be held accountable and be required to make changes...or he would.

• Pie 3

Can't keep living in the past. The thing with Wilks is no different from Ron Rivera. They were basically the same coach. Great human beings. But we've already seen that.

If any of you are so eager to see another defensive minded head coach you'll probably get your wish when Evero is named interim. That would be a better path than going backwards yet again.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

3 minutes ago, demcj said:

i'm confident that if wilks was the head coach, young would be benched by now and we'd be watching andy dalton under center.

one thing he was consistent with was accountability. if he made mistakes, he would admit them and make changes. if players made mistakes, they would be held accountable and be required to make changes...or he would.

Perhaps…I get the impression that benching Young would have to be approved by Tepper. Why else would Reich keep Playing him? It has been reported that his job is on the line and clearly Dalton gives them the best chance to win. 

1 minute ago, thennek said:

Perhaps…I get the impression that benching Young would have to be approved by Tepper. Why else would Reich keep Playing him? It has been reported that his job is on the line and clearly Dalton gives them the best chance to win. 

I mean... yeah, you're probably right.

If my job was on the line and I had the power to bench Bryce and go to Dalton I probably would. Hell, just as a face saving move I'd probably announce Dalton as the starter and dare Tepper to fire me.

27 minutes ago, frankw said:

Can't keep living in the past. The thing with Wilks is no different from Ron Rivera. They were basically the same coach. Great human beings. But we've already seen that.

If any of you are so eager to see another defensive minded head coach you'll probably get your wish when Evero is named interim. That would be a better path than going backwards yet again.

And to add to that, this is a offense driven league... Since 2010, only two defensive HCs have actually won the Superbowl and that was Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll. 

Here's the thing, Wilks' "power run" offense would only be effective for a short period of time before teams start to figure it out and most will easily get tired of Wilks and want him fired.

Going offense was the correct way to go, just the wrong coach. 

Ben Johnson for the win!

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean... yeah, you're probably right.

If my job was on the line and I had the power to bench Bryce and go to Dalton I probably would. Hell, just as a face saving move I'd probably announce Dalton as the starter and dare Tepper to fire me.

That would be a seriously shrewd play and I bet the players would rally to the cause.

I think the players actually do like Frank and company, but hate Tepper’s guts but Frank is unfortunately a puppet. The players also see what CJ is doing and know that in a sane world, the Panthers would be set for the next decade with him, like it should have been. 

Tepper once again destroyed their hope and poor Frank is completely out of his element. He has to come up with a scheme that won’t get the owners pick killed, with talented, but out of position and really unmotivated players. Good times 

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, thennek said:

^^^This x1000.  I bet Tepper said to Frank, 'you bench Bryce, better pack your bags.'  Dalton, while not a word beater, is still probably a top 20-25 QB in this League.  Frank knows this and for some reason is reluctant to pull the plug.  Morale has got to be slipping and trotting the little tyke out there the rest of the season isn't going to do anything other than further erode his confidence and alienate the rest of the locker room towards the coaching staff.

7 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

And to add to that, this is a offense driven league... Since 2010, only two defensive HCs have actually won the Superbowl and that was Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll. 

Here's the thing, Wilks' "power run" offense would only be effective for a short period of time before teams start to figure it out and most will easily get tired of Wilks and want him fired.

Going offense was the correct way to go, just the wrong coach. 

Ben Johnson for the win!

the offense we saw with wilks was based solely off the personnel he was left with.

the same thing happened in arizona. he was hired as head coach, but it was basically in title only. he wasn't even allowed to hire his own staff. he basically had no say so in anything, and had to make it work.

• Beer 2