• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank throws Tepper under the bus

*FreeFua*

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Absolutely it is. Those extra three points definitely made a difference. 

I know it eats at you that Bryce Young still hasn't led an offense to surpass that. Chin up Carl. It could happen. Here's to hoping 🤞

Edited by frankw

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

It actually doesn't, because I don't care how many points we score if we win. I'd take a 3-0 win any day of the week. Try again next time, I guess.

Well that's the thing Carl you have to be able to at least move the ball at a decent pace if we want to win.

Sitting at dead last in yards per attempt is not going to achieve that goal.

We have lowered the bar to where we look at settling for field goals as a small victory whereas we used to eviscerate Ron Rivera's teams for it.

Just now, frankw said:

Well that's the thing Carl you have to be able to at least move the ball at a decent pace if we want to win.

Sitting at dead last in yards per attempt is not going to achieve that goal.

We have lowered the bar to where we look at settling for field goals as a small victory whereas we used to eviscerate Ron Rivera's teams for it.

I'm not sure who you're talking about when you say "we used to eviscerate Ron Rivera's teams for it," because I don't recall doing that. May wanna take that up with whoever actually did it.

I don't care how a game is won -- the score is immaterial to me when the result is optimal. The passing game is horrible right now for a myriad of reasons: the rookie QB who's regressed and lost confidence, the Helen Keller offensive line, the abysmal route-running and ass-tastic coaching. Solving one of those problems won't solve the others in time to win much this season, because they're all so bad right now. And at the end of the day, David Tepper's still the owner.  We can go back-and-forth all we want, but that's the sad reality.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

I'm not sure who you're talking about when you say "we used to eviscerate Ron Rivera's teams for it," because I don't recall doing that. May wanna take that up with whoever actually did it.

I don't care how a game is won -- the score is immaterial to me when the result is optimal. The passing game is horrible right now for a myriad of reasons: the rookie QB who's regressed and lost confidence, the Helen Keller offensive line, the abysmal route-running and ass-tastic coaching. Solving one of those problems won't solve the others in time to win much this season, because they're all so bad right now. And at the end of the day, David Tepper's still the owner.  We can go back-and-forth all we want, but that's the sad reality.

You don't remember what created the cheesy moniker of Riverboat Ron? Yes punting and settling for field goals made him unpopular in his early games here. Which seems like a crazy notion given what we have come to accept now.

I concur there are multiple areas in need of refinement and issues to be solved. Unfortunately if you watch how defenses play us they have taken to sitting on the short routes waiting to be fed pick sixes. They know what's coming. That's deeper than coaching and lack of talent unfortunately.

I agree about Tepper. He may never change. He is the definition of ego driven. I do not think he even necessarily cares about winning. He only wants to win if it's his way and he's heavily involved so he can brag.

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

He told Rivera to go from 4-3 to 3-4 and asked for them to run certain offensive plays… I wouldn’t take it out of the realm of possibility. He might not be dictating verbatim but he’s definitely influencing. 

I don’t think you’re right, but if you are, it makes me think way less of Reich than I already do. Man the fug up and run your offense. If the owner fires you for it, let him explain to the world why he fired you. If Reich is letting Tepper dictate his offense, then he’s just an emasculated, sorry excuse for a head coach. 

• Pie 1

Just now, frankw said:

You don't remember what created the cheesy moniker of Riverboat Ron? Yes punting and settling for field goals made him unpopular in his early games here. Which seems like a crazy notion given what we have come to accept now.

I concur there are multiple areas in need of refinement and issues to be solved. Unfortunately if you watch how defenses play us they have taken to sitting on the short routes waiting to be fed pick sixes. They know what's coming. That's deeper than coaching and lack of talent unfortunately.

I agree about Tepper. He may never change. He is the definition of ego driven. I do not think he even necessarily cares about winning. He only wants to win if it's his way and he's heavily involved so he can brag.

I'd stack my DBs 10 yards from the LOS against this team, too. You've got constant hitches and curls called, lazy route-running, no separation, literally no pass protection and a QB just hoping he can get the ball out before he's clobbered. That's pick-six recipe SZN. 

But Tepper's the real head coach here. We can change the pieces around, but he does want to win his way and he won't stop until he pulls it off. And within 50 years, he might. But probably not.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

I don’t think you’re right, but if you are, it makes me think way less of Reich than I already do. Man the fug up and run your offense. If the owner fires you for it, let him explain to the world why he fired you. If Reich is letting Tepper dictate his offense, then he’s just an emasculated, sorry excuse for a head coach. 

I still don't get these gymnastics.  Frank Reich is clearly running what Frank Reich runs.  His offenses are well documented.  It makes no sense to suggests that Frank somehow wanted to do something he has never done in the NFL on O and Tepper was like no Frank, you have to run type O you have always run.  Frank is an old dog doing what Frank does. 

Now, I can get on board with the notion that Frank didn't get the QB he preferred.   But that's not really an excuse for how bad his O is.  Because it's not like he is just missing the QB play.  

*and I realize you weren't digging into that thought and arguing that it is true.  I just commenting on top of your post. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

He threw 60 passes

30 passes for 150 yards = trash
but 60 passes for 300 yards = 😍

You are kind of misleading. He threw 58 passes but only 34 were completed. That's close to 10 yards per pass compared to Bryce's 4.2.

The receivers obviously aren't great but Dalton continuously pushed the ball downfield against the Seahawks and we are just praying for a first down with Young.

Edited by Cam Lawter

51 minutes ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

That could be what is happening. There is a fair chance he feels shame for his poor stewardship, that some might even say was a betrayal (Tepper IS the dark side), and realizes he has changed our experience as Panthers fans for the worse, by a large margin. And led men off course in their careers. 

So he took  the play calling back and is now gonna fight the good fight. Which I hope is done George Costanza opposite style.

Okay, sure. That’ll happen. 

Disclaimer:, that is only slightly less ridiculous than betting the house on the idea that Young is our football savior. 

Y'all are hilarious "be a man and do what you want instead of what your boss says".  Like any of you do that at your jobs?  And I guarantee if you did you got fired - it doesn't help anyone else around you that also gets beat down by the horrible boss after either. 

Maybe, just maybe, Reich is a GOOD person who is trying to help his staff and players develop - and shield them from the horrible ownership issues that will ruin them.  Maybe his purpose is helping all of these guys instead of caring about only himself - and the best option for him to help everyone else is to stay, say "yes sir", and do the best he can to protect them?  If you have ever been in that situation as the one in charge you might understand....there is more than just Reich's future involved in the decisions he makes...we all want a boss that actually cares, you ever think this is what that looks like?  

Take off the hateful glasses for a minute and think about it....I don't know for sure but I have seen this exact scenario numerous times in my career.  Might be some truth here.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, stratocatter said:

That could be what is happening. There is a fair chance he feels shame for his poor stewardship, that some might even say was a betrayal (Tepper IS the dark side), and realizes he has changed our experience as Panthers fans for the worse, by a large margin. And led men off course in their careers. 

So he took  the play calling back and is now gonna fight the good fight. Which I hope is done George Costanza opposite style.

Okay, sure. That’ll happen. 

Disclaimer:, that is only slightly less ridiculous than betting the house on the idea that Young is our football savior. 

Your take is plausible. The energy did at least feel different with the defense on Sunday although the results were the same. I didn’t mind the penalties all that much since the team was showing some sort of aggression.  If we take 10 of those passes and turn them in to run plays, it’s a different game. 

It will be pure comedy if Frank changes gears, turns us back in to a team of s*** kicking maulers and gets fired for it. It’ll never happen, but hilarity would ensue in this soap opera clown show. 

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, Mage said:

I'm not saying Tepper has been a good owner, but to think he is dictating the style of offense Reich runs seems ridiculous.  

Well if true that Tepper made the decision on Young then Reich is having to run this  style of offense because he doesn't have a qb capable of anything else. This is an offense built for a physically limited qb. It's not a coincidence the only 300 plus passing yard game  come from Dalton this year.