• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Al Wallace= Not a fan of Ickey

ncfan

1 hour ago, Wanderlai said:

Just thinking of all the 1st rd misses is mind boggling. Could have had CJ, Parsons, Cross but we went with 3 busts. 

Hiring Fitterer was worse than Rhule. Think about how many picks we traded (1 1sts, 3 2nds, 1 3rd, 2 4ths and a few more) to get Young, Darnold, Henderson, Mayfield, Corral and Johnson. Not to mention using a 1st and 2 3rds on Young, Corral and Johnson while giving up our best offensive players CMC and Moore as part of this mess. Terrible picks, not getting a huge bounty for Burns and you realize what a fantastic team we could have right now if we didn’t have the worst GM in the world.

Imagine still having CMC and Moore, picking the proper first rounders including a QB and also picking guys like Humphrey, Tre Smith and Dell/Downs over Mingo, TMJ and a long snapper. It’s not even cherry picking, it’s just the huddle’s draft wants. Instead we have the worst team in the NFL without the top pick in 2024 and nothing to look forward to until maybe 2025.

Al makes some great points, EXCEPT the skill part.  I think the technique is horrible - but it's clear he is physically talented which is where skill comes from.  Skill is just your natural talent being put to use at a specific action repeatedly to where you develop it into technique.  The issue is, no way Ickey should be THIS bad in pass pro, because he clearly has the ability and skill to be great...  it's clear he just doesn't execute or practice it enough to refine it into technique.  It's honestly just looks lazy and like a guy who believes "I'm good at what I'm good at, and if we're not doing that, it's your fault, not mine." 

Icky has been bad but he's shown he can be a starter in this league last year. The question you have to ask yourself is how many players looking subpar in this offense are struggling because of the scheme and the way we've constructed the offense around a short QB that has to hop and skip to make a basic throw and even then still misfires?

I still find myself coming back to that game in Seattle. The best the offense has looked all year. That's just pitiful.

Edited by frankw

I don't think anyone is a fan of Ickey right now.  It's just not good play on his part.  Now, he's not alone along the OL.  Having to dig for a 5th guard is not a going to help anyone.

Right now, Ickey is our best LT on the roster.  Sad to say.  So he's going to have to stick it out the rest of the season.  But in the future, he's going to have to move to guard.  He's just not playing well enough for a LT.  Now could a new coach help?  Maybe?  Possibly?  But I'd tell him (if I was the new HC) that if he wants to remain at tackle, he needs to show it.  Else he'll get moved inside, and if that's still a problem - he can find a new team.

There's plenty of blame for the poo show of this team, and Ickey has his own responsibilities to bear as far as that goes. 

13 hours ago, ncfan said:

Eh

short memory I’m guessing?

forget trading away pick to move up for Greg Little.  Or trading away what was the 33rd overall pick for Armanti Edwards

or maybe trading away a future 1st for Everett Brown.

Yeah, he traded sometimes, but overall he acquired picks more than lost them. The Panthers had a lot of selections with Hurney compared to any of their other GMs.

The thing with Hurney is he wasn't bad with all trades. For example, he fleeced Chicago for Greg Olsen which was a cornerstone of the offense for nearly a decade. He also was able to trade away guys like Kelvin Benjamin, somehow acquiring a third rounder.