• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer mailbag, Tepper similar to Kraft and York early years

Martin

From Gambling Avenger(@GamblingAvenge1): Is Tepper pushing into Dan Snyder territory with his actions?

Gambling, I’m going to say no.

Yes, there are some similar tendencies there. The quick trigger with coaches, and swooping in on certain football matters would be two that stick out. But according to those who’ve worked with both, Tepper is a much better guy in general, and person to work with in particular, than the Napoleonic Snyder. And I think there’s an important point in explaining this to remember, too.

A lot of owners stumble through their early years. Most arrive as wildly successful businessmen who’ve always been the smartest guy in the room, and think pro football will be like the other industries they’re in. And oftentimes, the instincts or principles they’ve learned to rely on don’t transfer over, and they’re humbled in short order.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft is a good example. He clashed with Bill Parcells when he first bought the team and then was infamous for meddling through the Pete Carroll years. To his credit, he learned for those first six years, empowered his next coach, Bill Belichick, and the rest is history. He’s now regarded as one of sports’ best owners. Same goes for 49ers owner Jed York, who was famously at odds with Jim Harbaugh through an extended period of success, then had two single-year coaches (Jim Tomsula, Chip Kelly) before figuring it out.

I think, down the line, that’s how we’ll look at Tepper’s early years in Carolina. Which is to say my guess he won’t wind up like Snyder, who never seemed to learn anything.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

Wishful thinking. Kraft and York “early years” included several playoff seasons and a SB appearance… Tepper 6 years in already has yet to even come close to a single .500 season, and almost certainly won’t in year 7, and probably won’t in year 8.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Wishful thinking. Kraft and York “early years” included several playoff seasons and a SB appearance… Tepper 6 years in already has yet to even come close to a single .500 season, and almost certainly won’t in year 7, and probably won’t in year 8.

The article was more around how they were meddling a lot in the early years and then learned from it, learned how to own/run a team to set the team up for long term success.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Martin said:

From Gambling Avenger(@GamblingAvenge1): Is Tepper pushing into Dan Snyder territory with his actions?

Yes, there are some similar tendencies there. The quick trigger with coaches, and swooping in on certain football matters would be two that stick out. But according to those who’ve worked with both, Tepper is a much better guy in general, and person to work with in particular, than the Napoleonic Snyder. And I think there’s an important point in explaining this to remember, too.

A lot of owners stumble through their early years. Most arrive as wildly successful businessmen who’ve always been the smartest guy in the room, and think pro football will be like the other industries they’re in. And oftentimes, the instincts or principles they’ve learned to rely on don’t transfer over, and they’re humbled in short order.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft is a good example. He clashed with Bill Parcells when he first bought the team and then was infamous for meddling through the Pete Carroll years. To his credit, he learned for those first six years, empowered his next coach, Bill Belichick, and the rest is history. He’s now regarded as one of sports’ best owners. Same goes for 49ers owner Jed York, who was famously at odds with Jim Harbaugh through an extended period of success, then had two single-year coaches (Jim Tomsula, Chip Kelly) before figuring it out.

I think, down the line, that’s how we’ll look at Tepper’s early years in Carolina. Which is to say my guess he won’t wind up like Snyder, who never seemed to learn anything.

Nah, Tepper is the Antichrist. remember?   

I don’t know what is going to happen to the franchise or the fanbase   

Coaching is important.  

Skill and athletic ability are important 

however, the NFL is a tough place, the ‘want to’ is just as important as the other measures.  Give me a Luvu or a Blackshear any day of the week over 95% of the Panthers’ roster and that, is a problem

Not only that, their drafting is abysmal…the players they pass on, to  the players they pick, awful    

it is understood they changed systems on both sides of the ball so personnel mismatches exist and of course injuries  but most of these players would be second and third string on better teams.  

55 minutes ago, Martin said:

From Gambling Avenger(@GamblingAvenge1): Is Tepper pushing into Dan Snyder territory with his actions?

The mistake here is thinking they're the smartest guy in the room. I've been around my fair share of executives they get treated like they're the smartest person in the room when usually they aren't. They only see that when they jump into another industry 

• Pie 2