• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bryce hate has gotten absurd

Adb6368

39 minutes ago, fanpanther said:

Mac jones has a 6 point better qbr and had a 300 yard game with some close to 300s been terrible but would still give him the edge.  Zach Wilson is a point behind young in qbr they seem really similiar across the board at the moment  ..so yep Young has been historically bad I heard some announcer say he has the lowest ypa in modern nfl history.  

Jokes is just awful. At least Bryce has the rookie excuse.

Wilson still flashes elite talent, he's just terribly inconsistent and has a ton of disaster plays to boot. He probably still has a higher probability of ultimately working out than Bryce does though if I'm being honest.

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Jokes is just awful. At least Bryce has the rookie excuse.

Wilson still flashes elite talent, he's just terribly inconsistent and has a ton of disaster plays to boot. He probably still has a higher probability of ultimately working out than Bryce does though if I'm being honest.

At the end of the day, what's so insane is that this the 1st overall pick.  The QB1 that we deemed ready enough to make arguably a top-3 biggest trade in NFL history for.  

We in part didn't grab much high-level WR or RB because of the trust we had in Bryce. Heck, Tepper admitted so on camera.  They thought he was a plug and play (still do apparently) that you could go modern-spread with and spray the ball everywhere.  Yet, they get a coach that doesn't run that offense and players that don't fit.  I think us fans were concerned but still bought in because it was clear the team was trying to go all in.  

Also--rewatched some of the game.  Why? I have no clue.  But it is becoming so abundantly clear--the stuff Bryce is showing is beyond just bad OL jitters.  It's truly bust-ish level material being produced.  I'm honestly there at this point.  The decisions, weird flinching before there's even pressure, footwork, inaccuracy, awareness, outrunning-DL abilities.   

It's also just crazy re-sorting stats and continuously see the same 3 grouped at the bottom.  Bryce, Mac, & Wilson.  And Bryce is the lowest for many.  Looking at stuff like Y/A, A/YA, Success%, 1st downs passing.  

His performance, not the OL, not the WR, is still the biggest issue from what I see.  Half our WRs will be gone anyways next year.   The eye-test screams the b-word right now.  It's like watching Wilson or Clausen and just knowing it's not gonna work out.  There's just nothing there.

And this is a guy that should be ready, everyone wants him to be (I really do), but he simply isn't and can't quite figure it out.  It's going to be a short leash in 2024 with fans.  And who knows whatever coach ends up here thinks of him. 

He's honestly not even showing much if he wants to be a backup on another team right now.  This is what you should get when your backup goes down and resort to the guy with the clipboard. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

The mega concerning thing with the footwork I've started to notice (that is at a much higher volume now):

Weight distribution is wonky and he's just not even setting/stepping up properly.  His feet are barely ever planted for routine throws.  For example on the early Mingo challenged catch, he throws that in a clean pocket, almost falling off his back foot.  And he could have been able to hit an easy 12 yarder if he didn't do his weird overly skip parallel drop back.  It's like he trips backwards on 80% of his throws.  It disrupts timing, and he's not planted when they're at the top of routes.  He's doing this on passes that are these quick outs and comebacks.  

If you wanna see an example of how to do it right, check out Dak and Cousins.  Those two have some of the more disciplined mechanics in the league.  It's just bananas this is where we're at.  I can't believe this is a 1st overall pick. 

If I had a nickel for how many throw Bryce steps into per game, I wouldn't be to get maybe 2 pieces of gum from the glass vending ball.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Basbear said:

Has ANY rookie QB played worse than young??

I swear I just ran down the list with THREE UDFAs, THREE!!!!!!! and each still looked better than young! Most have not had the reps with 1s either and on teams just as bad as carolina(giants&bears). 

Just sickening. 

Plus Im starting to think young has the weakest arm in the NFL. 

Yes, the most efficient qb of all time, Steve young. YouTube him on Tampa bay

57 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

The mega concerning thing with the footwork I've started to notice (that is at a much higher volume now):

Weight distribution is wonky and he's just not even setting/stepping up properly.  His feet are barely ever planted for routine throws.  For example on the early Mingo challenged catch, he throws that in a clean pocket, almost falling off his back foot.  And he could have been able to hit an easy 12 yarder if he didn't do his weird overly skip parallel drop back.  It's like he trips backwards on 80% of his throws.  It disrupts timing, and he's not planted when they're at the top of routes.  He's doing this on passes that are these quick outs and comebacks.  

If you wanna see an example of how to do it right, check out Dak and Cousins.  Those two have some of the more disciplined mechanics in the league.  It's just bananas this is where we're at.  I can't believe this is a 1st overall pick. 

If I had a nickel for how many throw Bryce steps into per game, I wouldn't be to get maybe 2 pieces of gum from the glass vending ball.

Face it,  he is the worst of the 1round qbs this year and when in doubt they should have gone with a more prototypical size...but oh well.  

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

He also stands with both feet parallel to the LOS a lot. Not really ready to throw because his feet aren’t set so he has twist and take an extra step before being really ready to throw. I noticed this earlier in the year when my assistant coach (a former NCAA QB) was helping my 7th grade backup QB get ready to play his first game after our starter was hurt. The kid had the same issue. Come to think of it him and Bryce could be twins- they’re bout the same size.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Would anyone be surprised if Bryce was basically Tepper's pick then the coaches implored Tepper that he needs to sit while they overhauled his mechanics while Tepper refused to hear it until he finally just fired them? I certainly wouldn't be.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Iceup said:

He also stands with both feet parallel to the LOS a lot. Not really ready to throw because his feet aren’t set so he has twist and take an extra step before being really ready to throw. I noticed this earlier in the year when my assistant coach (a former NCAA QB) was helping my 7th grade backup QB get ready to play his first game after our starter was hurt. The kid had the same issue. Come to think of it him and Bryce could be twins- they’re bout the same size.

Yep ha.  He's in a weird situation because his college coaches didn't bother to correct.  So then, it quickly became his thing.  Problem is, you can't have that as a "thing" in the NFL.  So it's going to be super hard to train him out of.  

I've said before, it's one thing to have a unique throwing motion, but another to have your own lower body mechanics.  That's something that is either right or wrong.  There's no alternate style to what that is and this loose, slow-motion back stepping is killing us on the short throws.  He does that, and his timing/accuracy will never be there.  Add on the lack of stepping into throws with proper distribution, and the INTs will continue. 

I'm just astounded this has been something so shrugged aside.  Kurt Warner and some of the Athletic staff have seen it, but it's surprising how many said, meh, his intangibles outweigh any possible physical traits so much, that it's whatever.  And they say it about the one 2-year+ starter Bama QB that didn't win a title.  

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Yep ha.  He's in a weird situation because his college coaches didn't bother to correct.  So then, it quickly became his thing.  Problem is, you can't have that as a "thing" in the NFL.  So it's going to be super hard to train him out of.  

I've said before, it's one thing to have a unique throwing motion, but another to have your own lower body mechanics.  That's something that is either right or wrong.  There's no alternate style to what that is and this loose, slow-motion back stepping is killing us on the short throws.  He does that, and his timing/accuracy will never be there.  Add on the lack of stepping into throws with proper distribution, and the INTs will continue. 

I'm just astounded this has been something so shrugged aside.  Kurt Warner and some of the Athletic staff have seen it, but it's surprising how many said, meh, his intangibles outweigh any possible physical traits so much, that it's whatever.  And they say it about the one 2-year+ starter Bama QB that didn't win a title.  

His footwork is his footwork so he can see downfield when dropping back. It’s never going to change

The concerning stuff for me is when the play breaks down and he panics and compounds it with a bad decision… throwing the ball backwards 2-3 yards. You should always have an exit strategy on every play if sh!t goes south as a QB but he never seems to have that. His lack of overall awareness is ridiculous at this point. Yeah his OL has been trash but he sits in a collapsing pocket way too often. Bryce seems hesitant to run or move for whatever reason. 

Bryce also doesn’t have the natural arm strength to deliver the ball downfield without a larger than usual clean pocket. Bryce needs to really step into his deep throws. There’s just so much bad at this point but these were all things that showed up at Bama and I don’t see them changing.

When he has a clean pocket and time he can deliver the ball accurately and on time but whoop dee do. That’s not someone you trade up for.  

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Would anyone be surprised if Bryce was basically Tepper's pick then the coaches implored Tepper that he needs to sit while they overhauled his mechanics while Tepper refused to hear it until he finally just fired them? I certainly wouldn't be.

Dawg if the coaches wanted to change his drop back they would have done it. They’ve had 7 months to do it. They let him do his lazy drop back with his shoulders square to the LOS, Reich and McCown both. And they’re gone. 

Next coach HAS to change it, because it throws off the timing on everything. There’s no true quick game because Bryce can’t get set to throw that quickly. 

• Pie 2