• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line Is Main Priority

restNChrist

all depends on the HC and O we bring in.

This cast was universally looked as upper half of the league in 1 scheme/O.  Near last in another. 

But given we likely are stuck w/ Bryce for at least another season and if he officially busts I would still want to pursue a creative and passing O.....we need to get rid of a line built to play Foxball. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, restNChrist said:

I say it every year and every year it proves true.  We are only as good as our O-line.  I know we need receivers and corners and a whole lot of things… but if we truly want to know if we have something with Bryce we must use FA and draft to build up the line first.  

The only problem with this strategy is I don’t trust our front office to scout the right O linemen.  Ex. Ickey!  

Yep, better get it fixed in preparation for the next quarterback.

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1

The OL personnel aren't the problem. They were arguably the best line we'd had last year.

The offense was changed to a zone blocking scheme that didn't fit their skill set, especially from center left. Corbett and Moton could do it. If he were healthy, Christensen could probably do it. Everybody else? Not so much.

The only thing I'd recommend with the O-Line is to move Ekwonu inside to left guard. He's much better suited there for going to keep a pass heavy scheme like this. Also more ideal to have a really strong interior line if you have a shorter quarterback.

Yes, that'd leave us needing a left tackle (again) unless the team believes Christensen can handle that job.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 8

2 minutes ago, Lemory said:

Need to hire a competent oline coach. Campen sucked with the Browns, Chargers, and Texans and now he has ruined our young promising LT here.

it remains a massive red flag....to of jumped around the league for years and then could only find a home on Matt Rhule's staff.  Never got the hype some made with him. 

25 minutes ago, restNChrist said:

I say it every year and every year it proves true.  We are only as good as our O-line.  I know we need receivers and corners and a whole lot of things… but if we truly want to know if we have something with Bryce we must use FA and draft to build up the line first.  

The only problem with this strategy is I don’t trust our front office to scout the right O linemen.  Ex. Ickey!  

I agree 100%. We should pick the best available Center and Left Tackle with our first two picks and then move Ickey to Guard. Use the rest of the picks on WRs with high upside who actually produced in college. Bryce will probably still suck and we can use our first round pick in 2025 to reset at QB. 

• Beer 3

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The OL personnel aren't the problem. They were arguably the best line we'd had last year.

The offense was changed to a zone blocking scheme that didn't fit their skill set, especially from center left. Corbett and Moton could do it. If he were healthy, Christensen could probably do it. Everybody else? Not so much.

The only thing I'd recommend with the O-Line is to move Ekwonu inside to left guard. He's much better suited there for going to keep a pass heavy scheme like this. Also more ideal to have a really strong interior line if you have a shorter quarterback.

Yes, that'd leave us needing a left tackle (again) unless the team believes Christensen can handle that job.

Didn't bc play left tackle in college? Think he did for us for a few games too I don't remember how he did

this current window has been a textbook example of having no vision and everyone on their own unique page. 

we don't need to "fix the OL".....until we know what we want to be on offense.  We need a HC and a direction before we have anyone fixing the talent on this team. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

From the Joe Person / Dianna Russini "Hunger Games" article...

There also have been issues with scheme fits.

Brown’s background is with the Rams’ mid-zone and wide-zone runs, which weren’t a great match for some of the Panthers’ offensive linemen. Right guard Austin Corbett ran the scheme during three seasons in L.A., including the Rams’ Super Bowl season of 2021. But Corbett missed the first six games this year while recovering from ACL surgery, then injured his MCL in the same knee against Dallas in Week 11 and was lost for the season.

Center Bradley Bozeman conceded his more bruising skill set wasn’t ideal for the wide zone, best suited for quicker linemen who can occupy defensive linemen early in the play and then get to the second level.

“Running downhill is what I love to do,” Bozeman said. “That’s what I’ve made my money on. Unfortunately, we didn’t have many opportunities to do that.”

• Pie 1