• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Handling Young with kid gloves

Jmac

19 hours ago, ickmule said:

I understand that last part. 30+ years of throwing iron around the gym wears on a body.  Squats and leg presses these days makes my hips hurt for 2 days. The older guys warned me when I was in my 20’s and 30’s but I was convinced I was different.  That worked out well.  lol.  

Just a tip - that should not be happening, two things are likely the culprit - balance/stability meaning poo shoes and shifting during squats will kill your hips (that’s why some go barefoot). You should be in a solid stance like a statue and not be shifting. This is assuming your knees are going out properly. Shoes or lack thereof make a huge difference.

And two, poor core strength. Which just means putting in more core work.

When done with proper form and NON egotistical weight, natural lifting does NOT wear down the body.

And I’m not trying to be on a soap box here I’ve done plenty of ego lifting and have recovered from bad hips, knees, elbows and shoulders over the years through a lot of money (trainers/doctors).

I lift more weight than I ever did and am 20 years older and I am not sore where I shouldn’t be. Granted it takes more time to build up correctly (weight, stretching etc) and that seems to be the step everyone wants to skip.

Gym bros always give the god awful advice of one aspect of progressive overload (adding weight) at a ridiculous pace that naturals will never be able to properly build from.

But yea those older guys always saying it’s a marathon to the younger guys thinking it a sprint were right and now I find myself as one of them.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Just a tip - that should not be happening, two things are likely the culprit - balance/stability meaning poo shoes and shifting during squats will kill your hips (that’s why some go barefoot). You should be in a solid stance like a statue and not be shifting. This is assuming your knees are going out properly. Shoes or lack thereof make a huge difference.

And two, poor core strength. Which just means putting in more core work.

When done with proper form and NON egotistical weight, natural lifting does NOT wear down the body.

And I’m not trying to be on a soap box here I’ve done plenty of ego lifting and have recovered from bad hips, knees, elbows and shoulders over the years through a lot of money (trainers/doctors).

I lift more weight than I ever did and am 20 years older and I am not sore where I shouldn’t be. Granted it takes more time to build up correctly (weight, stretching etc) and that seems to be the step everyone wants to skip.

Gym bros always give the god awful advice of one aspect of progressive overload (adding weight) at a ridiculous pace that naturals will never be able to properly build from.

But yea those older guys always saying it’s a marathon to the younger guys thinking it a sprint were right and now I find myself as one of them.

I hate typing but I will say I always wore zero rise shoes when squatting.  I trained with guys that competed on the professional level and with trainers.  My issues came from pressing 1000 lbs on the leg press, going too deep on the lowering of the weight. Those machines put you in a terrible position if you sink to deep. It took 25 years to feel the hip pain, but……The old hats tried to tell me I would pay for it one day and I wouldn’t listen.  I’m finally feeling better, but stay clear of the press now days.  I can do squats, but my days of lifting heavy are over. Moderate weight only. Yes, I was a dumb ass muscle head that often didn’t take advice from the older generation and wanted to lift the absolute most I could over more moderate weight at 8 to 13 reps. For some reason I preferred heavier weight at lower reps, often 5 or less reps.  

Frank’s plan to get fired was pretty obvious. Continue to get the snot kicked out of Bryce without giving the line much help so Tepper has no choice but to fire him. 

So here’s the thing. I don’t think I have once seen the o line gathered on the sidelines getting an a** chewing from Bryce, Campen or Frank. As a matter of fact, they never really even seem all that bothered by seeing Bryce get lit up. In turn, Bryce doesn’t exactly give them an earful afterwards. Has there been a single fight in defense of Bryce on a dirty hit? Has there been a single ‘atta boy’ helmet tap? Celebrate a play (even though they are few and far between)? Do they even like this dude?

On 12/13/2023 at 7:04 PM, ickmule said:

Kid is a candy ass emotionally.  Never should have been drafted.  

And we all forget about Mr Mopey Head his first couple years.  He too was handled with kid gloves, especially whey he acted like a 10yr old who didn't get his way on the sidelines.  Steve Smith tried to make Cam accountable and they got rid of 89 LOL.