• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This win signifies where we are as a franchise

lightsout

18 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

poo is so bad we have people wanting to see a TD over a win. 

TDs win games too--what we want to see is a system that believes in the players and does not play timid.  The difference between 1 and 2 wins in a season is not that important to me, to be honest, because neither wins were impressive--neither seemed to be building towards a brighter 2024, in my opinion.  We scored a total of 24 points in both wins (both chip shot FGs at the buzzer) and we scored 1 TD and had 6 FGs.  Yes, I celebrated the win, but wishing the team to be more aggressive and go for TDs does not suggest that anyone was rooting for them to lose.  I was disgusted by the lack of aggression when the Panthers settled for the second FG. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

TDs win games too--what we want to see is a system that believes in the players and does not play timid.  The difference between 1 and 2 wins in a season is not that important to me, to be honest, because neither wins were impressive--neither seemed to be building towards a brighter 2024, in my opinion.  We scored a total of 24 points in both wins (both chip shot FGs at the buzzer) and we scored 1 TD and had 6 FGs.  Yes, I celebrated the win, but wishing the team to be more aggressive and go for TDs does not suggest that anyone was rooting for them to lose.  I was disgusted by the lack of aggression when the Panthers settled for the second FG.

I agree with you completely. I'm thrilled we got a win at home against a division rival. But there was a time when consistently settling for field goals was enough to want coaches fired and players benched. We've lowered the bar significantly to accommodate for circumstances. It can't go any lower. Yet apparently some folks are determined to do so. That's a matter of personal standards I guess.

Does anyone here remember when we used to complain about our lack of redzone consistency with Rivera and Newton? Even that is night and day compared to this. It's okay to have standards folks!

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Some bright spots:

Offensive Line:  The team's top three guards have been on IR for most of the seasons (Corbett, BC, and Zavala).  Jensen and Mays have been given some valuable experience, so we should have decent depth on the interior OL next season.  Our T situation is going to get better when someone teaches Ekwonu some mechanics.

Personally, I think we need to coach up what we have (after restructuring Moton's deal or trading him, moving BC to RT)  and develop some OL chemistry.  That means we can focus on WR and TE in free agency. 

Running Back:  Hubbard has become a beast. 

Wide Receiver:  I think Theilen should stay in the slot and we need to bring in a #1 WR free agent and maybe a draft pick-- and draft a solid TE.  Mingo and Smith-Marsette (I see him emerging and he is 24) could be the fourth and fifth WRs.  I think Ricci was developing into a pass catching TE before going to IR.

So we are not that far away--but when you are playing with third string interior offensive linemen, the defense seemed to use that to get in Bryce's face all season.  No separation from the WRs (and a LOT of that is based on timing-when Bryce saw them, they had already taken one of two steps out of their breaks- and that is too late.  So I am optimistic that this can be fixed and that Bryce is not as bad as people here say he is. 

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, I want to see that too. But in that particular instance, as pathetic as it felt, there was no reason to give the ball back to the Falcons with a chance to win, when you could run the clock out and win the game. Trust me, I agree that neither win makes us feel like theyre turning the corner and showing promise, but punching in a TD just to make the D have another stand to get the win doesn't make sense. Take the win. 

Edited by RoaringRiot
  • Pie 2

Just now, RoaringRiot said:

Yeah, I want to see that too. But in that particular instance, as pathetic as it felt, there was no reason to give the ball back to the Falcons with a chance to win, when you could run the clock out and win the game. Trust me, I agree that neither win makes us feel like their turning the corner and showing promise, but punching in a TD just to make the D have another stand to get the win doesn't make sense. Take the win. 

Same page, brother, but I will repeat this:  I was not referring to the last offensive stand--I was referring to the second FG at the beginning of the 4th quarter.   So that nullifies what you are saying-I agree with you 100%, but it does not address my point accurately.  Now we need to run the table...

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Same page, brother, but I will repeat this:  I was not referring to the last offensive stand--I was referring to the second FG at the beginning of the 4th quarter.   So that nullifies what you are saying-I agree with you 100%, but it does not address my point accurately.  Now we need to run the table...

Oh, yeah, overall only kicking FGs and not being able to score TDs is absolutely pathetic. That game, even a W, was painful to watch. I was just referring to the last series and taking a FG vs trying to punch it in. 

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, KSpan said:

The confounding factors IMO are that they were behind, not tied, the rain, and the Falcons offensive ineptitude. No disagreement that the kick has a high probability, but IMO the situation was as appropriate as it might be for going for the TD and having more downs to still kick if it doesn't work. Not that it's better, not that the kick was a bad decision, but just that the situation might make it a viable and reasonable option.

Really minor thing though. Tabor made a conventionally-wise decision and it worked out.

No, the FG was the right call. The conditions were fine. The wet ball would actually be more conducive to a fumble or a botched snap (Atlanta had that happen twice, but recovered both). A 20 yard FG is about as easy as it gets. The K doesn’t even need a full run up so no chance to get it blocked.

Once Chubba got the second 1st down up close, kneeling down was 100% the correct move. The OP is completely wrong. Atlanta at that point had 0 timeouts and we could end the game on a 20 yard attempt. If Chubba scores, Atlanta had 1.5 minutes left to get a TD, which isn’t impossible. I remember telling my son that we had a great opportunity to get a first down at the 5 and seal the win with Atlanta not touching the ball.

Tabor made 100% the correct call to give us the easiest chance to win and also keep the ball out of Atlanta’s hands. That 20 yard FG is way, way, way easier than a 1 yard TD run.

16 hours ago, lightsout said:

We got the win. Cool. But I never want to experience this kind of win again. Never again do I want to watch us struggle to do anything offensively for four quarters and rely on defense alone to keep us in the thick of things, including a timely RedZone interception. 

Never again do I want to see us actually have an impressive drive that sets us up to win where we ACTUALLY end it with refusing to try for a TD from the fuging one yard line when your run game is hot.

No balls. No pride. No desire to be great. But absolutely fine with doing just enough to skate by. Tabor can be gone forever at this point. Bitch mentality from any coach. This isn't like just making it into field goal range and not wanting to fug it up. It's the goddamn goal line.

Bro did you see the weather ? Some of yall are just ridiculous 

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

he didn't look good yesterday either.

I think the OP is very right. This is what the Panthers, and Bryce, are. They can score about 10 points a game, 15 if they're lucky.

If they hold the other team to below that, and bryce doesn't turn the ball over, they win. 

Oof I think you guys are right. I know he didn’t look very good yesterday but with the down pour and that last drive,  it’s a positive. I don’t feel confident in Bryce only thing I can do is try and be positive. 

19 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

No, the FG was the right call. The conditions were fine. The wet ball would actually be more conducive to a fumble or a botched snap (Atlanta had that happen twice, but recovered both). A 20 yard FG is about as easy as it gets. The K doesn’t even need a full run up so no chance to get it blocked.

Once Chubba got the second 1st down up close, kneeling down was 100% the correct move. The OP is completely wrong. Atlanta at that point had 0 timeouts and we could end the game on a 20 yard attempt. If Chubba scores, Atlanta had 1.5 minutes left to get a TD, which isn’t impossible. I remember telling my son that we had a great opportunity to get a first down at the 5 and seal the win with Atlanta not touching the ball.

Tabor made 100% the correct call to give us the easiest chance to win and also keep the ball out of Atlanta’s hands. That 20 yard FG is way, way, way easier than a 1 yard TD run.

I still somewhat disagree with Tabor's approach to leave all TOs in their pocket and wait until 1 second left on 4th down to kick that. For exactly the reasons you mentioned I would have liked to see them still run the clock down but instead kick on 3rd down. There would have been maybe 15 seconds left on the clock when Atlanta got the ball back. They were behind, not tied, so if anything goes wrong there they lose. On the flip side though, if you can't execute that kick in that situation then you deserve to lose.

That said, I also understand the K balls are kept protected on the sideline. Perhaps the ball itself was nearly dry.

Edited by KSpan

18 hours ago, lightsout said:

We got the win. Cool. But I never want to experience this kind of win again. Never again do I want to watch us struggle to do anything offensively for four quarters and rely on defense alone to keep us in the thick of things, including a timely RedZone interception. 

Never again do I want to see us actually have an impressive drive that sets us up to win where we ACTUALLY end it with refusing to try for a TD from the fuging one yard line when your run game is hot.

No balls. No pride. No desire to be great. But absolutely fine with doing just enough to skate by. Tabor can be gone forever at this point. Bitch mentality from any coach. This isn't like just making it into field goal range and not wanting to fug it up. It's the goddamn goal line.

Someone just came home and found the back window open to his house. Jeez man. We don’t win often so just enjoy it.