• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Tabor's game management?

Saca312

16 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Did you click the link to Tabor's presser?  By your comments I will assume no. 

He said “I think coach made the right call. I’ve seen him hit from there.” I guess the question is do you think Tabor is the kind of guy to say it was the wrong call and throw his boss under the bus after the game. He didn’t really say I gave him the ok or I told him to go for it. Seemed generic and safe in his responses. 

13 hours ago, thebdawg said:

Did he? News to me the ST coordinator has to sign off on the head coaches decisions.

Yup, generally the HC asks coordinators their input on major decisions such as this.  It's even on video.  You might want check next time before coming off as an @ss.

https://www.panthers.com/video/chris-tabor-on-ihmir-smith-marsette-s-return-td

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He said “I think coach made the right call. I’ve seen him hit from there.” I guess the question is do you think Tabor is the kind of guy to say it was the wrong call and throw his boss under the bus after the game. He didn’t really say I gave him the ok or I told him to go for it. Seemed generic and safe in his responses. 

And the rest of the exchange?  It went on for a while.  The question was asked of Tabor what was the furthest Eddy hit in warmups and Tabor said "60".  He was even specific to say the same side of the field.

It's cool, Frank is gone, but It's common knowledge that on long kicks like this on HCs will consult the STs coach.  Did Tabor say, 'NO, DON'T DO IT!'?  I didn't get that impression...at all. He's a made man in this League, if he disagreed with Frank, I think he would implied it or outright said so in this line of questioning with the press.  He doesn't strike me as the type to beat around a bush. I wasn't like his job was on the hot seat.

Edited by 45catfan

31 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

And the rest of the exchange?  It went on for a while.  The question was asked of Tabor what was the furthest Eddy hit in warmups and Tabor said "60".  He was even specific to say the same side of the field.

It's cool, Frank is gone, but It's common knowledge that on long kicks like this on HCs will consult the STs coach.  Did Tabor say, 'NO, DON'T DO IT!'?  I didn't get that impression...at all. He's a made man in this League, if he disagreed with Frank, I think he would implied it or outright said so in this line of questioning with the press.  He doesn't strike me as the type to beat around a bush. I wasn't like his job was on the hot seat.

Nah I’m sure it was a “can he make it from here?” And a “yes he has in practice” exchange. At the end it’s Reich’s Call. Still a terrible call IMO. 

On 12/18/2023 at 1:49 PM, toldozer said:

I vividly remember 1 game where Ron Opted for a fg on 4th and 1 on like the 5 yard line up 3 with like 1:20 left. We go up 6. Common sense says you go for it on 4th down. You score you're up 2 scores with 1:15 left. You pick up the first down and don't score its game over. You get stuffed the opponent has to go 95 yards with I believe no time outs and most likely go for the tie. So worst realistic case scenario there is you go to overtime.

We kick the field goal, they get the ball on the 20 instead of the 5 March right down and score the game winning touchdown. It is definitely nice for a coach to have good situational awareness

Ron said after the game that he thought he would force the bills to make a play.   We play soft coverage and ej Manuel marches up he field on us.  What a dumbadd

On 12/18/2023 at 12:56 PM, trucpfan said:

I like the thoughts but I'd say Brown called that play and he's getting better and better as a play caller. Not Tabor, Brown deserves all the credit for that situation.

Yep, T. Brown is a rookie as well at playcalling, so he is going to have his growing pains. He has taken baby steps each week and the calls looked like there is actually a gameplan. Hopefully, during the rest of the season Bryce and Brown can both take those steps to putting something respectable on the field, like the last drive on Sunday. 

Edited by Ghostface Chilla

On 12/18/2023 at 3:56 PM, trucpfan said:

I like the thoughts but I'd say Brown called that play and he's getting better and better as a play caller. Not Tabor, Brown deserves all the credit for that situation.

Ya know, Brown has received a crap ton of hate but I actually think the offense hes been calling last couple weeks has been better than anything Frank was calling.   

On 12/19/2023 at 7:45 AM, ForJimmy said:

Yep.  Frank conceded his coaches didn't agree with him.  Which that admission hints at a pretty stark disagreement for him to concede that IMO. 

but yeah, no coach is then going to get on a microphone after that loss and say I disagreed with Frank on it.  That defies even the most basic common sense.  You rightfully should be fired if you do that. 

Only coaches IMO that Frank would have been discussing that with are Tabor and Brown.   Sure wasn't worded like it was one voice against Frank.  And it sure didn't look like the kicker was on board.  I don't see Tabor lobbying to kick when his kicker wasn't on board.  Tabor has already showed in his interim duties he factors in the environment in his game day decisions.  Frank's defense of the decision was pure analytics and practice.