• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Tabor's game management?

Saca312

The punt and KO ploys aside, the end of game is where I think he shined.  I was thinking the same thing, we had the timeouts (they didn't) and enough downs to run the clock all the way down.  Why give the ball back to them?  There was a greater probability that they marched down the field after we scored a TD than Eddy missing a chip shot FG.

• Pie 6

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Tabor signed off on that decision, FYI.

Did he? 

Last I heard was them acknowledging the coaches did not all agree on what Frank did in that moment.   Sure didn't look like the kicker thought it was a good idea. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The punt and KO ploys aside, the end of game is where I think he shined.  I was thinking the same thing, we had the timeouts (they didn't) and enough downs to run the clock all the way down.  Why give the ball back to them?  There was a greater probability that they marched down the field after we scored a TD than Eddy missing a chip shot FG.

One of the scarce scenarios where playing for the field goal is the right strategy.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Tabor signed off on that decision, FYI.

It’s one thing for the ST coach to say that we can make a 59 yard FG, but it’s another to game plan for a 59 yard FG versus game planning to try to get a much easier FG knowing the worst case scenario you know the limits.

Our ST coach should absolutely know and say what the kicker’s limit is that day based on conditions and how the kicker is feeling/practicing.

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

Did he? 

Last I heard was them acknowledging the coaches did not all agree on what Frank did in that moment.   Sure didn't look like the kicker thought it was a good idea. 

Doesn’t matter if Tabor said he can make a 59 yarder or not. Reich owns the decision and more importantly should have made some calls to just get closer. I seem to recall that the play calls we made were not of the sort to get us to say a 50 yarder, which is a much more manageable kick.

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

Did he? 

https://www.panthers.com/video/chris-tabor-on-ihmir-smith-marsette-s-return-td

Who knows who was trying to cover for whom, but Frank apparently didn't go rogue against the rest of the coaching staff.  I mean, one would think he consulted Tabor on such an important STs matter.

6 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It’s one thing for the ST coach to say that we can make a 59 yard FG, but it’s another to game plan for a 59 yard FG versus game planning to try to get a much easier FG knowing the worst case scenario you know the limits.

Our ST coach should absolutely know and say what the kicker’s limit is that day based on conditions and how the kicker is feeling/practicing.

Eddy supposedly hit from 60 yards that same direction in pregame and the reason the decision was green lighted.

• Pie 1