• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Never forget how Scott Two Chinn handled the Lamar Jackson opportunity

TheBigKat

Not trying to clip this narrative too much, Scott has done plenty to deserve to be fired and hopefully will be. 

the reason nobody was interested in Lamar was because nobody believed he was actually gonna leave the Ravens, and didn’t bother wasting time to negotiate. 

Jackson not coming to Carolina really isn’t his fault, because it was never gonna happen to begin with.

trading McCaffrey for peanuts tho is reason enough to fire him, not counting his other blunders

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

they also have a VERY good owner who doesn't meddle and plays the long game, he trusts his franchise with solid football people

There was a well known drama around him ousting OC Cam Cameron behind Harbaugh's back.

Sometimes an agent or GM may involve other teams to help set the market price--they are being used, in other words.  If a GM senses that is the case, why would he get involved?  Not defending Fitterer's non decisions when there are plenty of moves with his fingerprints on them that give me enough reason to want him gone.  If he can't say no to Rhule or Tepper, we need a GM who can--if that is the case.

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

The Huddle is dumber than you think. I remember debating a few posters who thought Derek Carr was legit better than Lamar Jackson.

Fun times.

I don't know about legit better talent than LJ. The debate I remember was always price and the ability to build around him vs Lamar. I would have been ok with Carr but nowhere near the price he got from NO. 

9 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

It's amazing how people still refuse to accept that the Lamar thing went down the way it did for two reasons.

First is that no team really wanted to give up the draft capital as well as give out the huge contract for someone who wasn't able to finish the previous two seasons.  

Second and more importantly, it was a poorly kept secret in the league that the Ravens were going to match any deal made to Lamar.  Because of that, nobody wanted to waste their time negotiating a difficult contract with Lamar, just for the Ravens to match it and then not get Lamar.

The Ravens were trying to use another team to deal with the negotiations, when nobody wanted to be their sucker, they finally just got a deal done with him.  It was a win-win for them, either someone else did the deal for them, or they couldn't and it then likely lowered his asking price a tad bit because it made the market for him seem worse.

From what i remember, pre tag rumors were 3 1sts, 3 2nds plus players for LJ with his contract needing to be fully guaranteed. That’s an insane asking price, especially when you need to build around him. Once the tag was done, any legit shot at LJ was done. He was never leaving Baltimore. If someone had offered full price, the Ravens would have just matched it. No need to waste the 30 seconds on the phone call. 

Aside from what several others have pointed out regarding the circumstances of his alleged "availability," the MVP race this year really is an absolute joke. Lamar is "leading the way" right now with 24 TDs and 13 turnovers and just barely over 4000 yards including his rushing...

To compare to previous MVPs:

2022 Mahomes. 45 TDs, 12 turnovers, ~5600 yards

2021 Rodgers. 40 TDs, 4 turnovers, ~4200 yards

2020 Rodgers. 51 TDs, 7 turnovers, ~4400 yards

2019 Jackson. 43 TDs, 8 turnovers, ~4300 yards (although 1200 were rushing which is NFL record)

2018 Mahomes. 52 TDs, 14 turnovers, ~5300 yards

2017 Brady. 32 TDs, 11 turnovers, ~4500 yards

2016 Ryan. 38 TDs, 9 turnovers, ~5000 yards

2015 Cam. 45 TDs, 14 turnovers, ~4500 yards 

Staggering difference between all of those (even the weaker ones like Brady and Ryan) and Lamar this year. Even if he puts up 8 more TDs and 600 yards the last 2 weeks, it's extremely weak compared to large majority of those years, and he's pacing to add 3 more TDs not 8.

MVP has become a team stat for QBs and the only reason Lamar is even in the conversation is because of the Ravens' record and a high profile late season victory over another top team last night. McCaffrey probably deserves MVP the most, or Tyreek Hill. But because they have to give it to a QB and others have either struggled (Purdy) or their teams have been losing (Hurts, Dak) it's Lamar as the favorite right now. His play is above average but 2nd tier this year. And he's got an elite OL and some weapons there, if he was here instead of Bryce he'd look like trash.

18 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

So many reasoning to hit on Fitterer but this isn't really one of them... Nobody really thought Lamar was free and the situation was such I'm not surprised nobody negotiated.

So Lamar was a FA but you think he wasn't really free?

My man I don't care if he wasn't available at least put out an offer. Hell show the fans that you're serious about trying to add a MVP caliber QB.

Deshaun Watson had more suitors than Lamar Jackson. That just doesn't make any sense. Nobody even put in a offer for Lamar.

Sorry but this was collusion by the owners.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

So Lamar was a FA but you think he wasn't really free?

My man I don't care if he wasn't available at least put out an offer. Hell show the fans that you're serious about trying to add a MVP caliber QB.

Deshaun Watson had more suitors than Lamar Jackson. That just doesn't make any sense. Nobody even put in a offer for Lamar.

Sorry but this was collusion by the owners.

Watson held out to get that to happen. Lamar didn't.  Hugely different situations. Baltimore was playing with Lamar and EVERYONE knew it. Now if Lamar had gone into the season with the tag... I bet you'd have seen a different outcome.

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Watson held out to get that to happen. Lamar didn't.  Hugely different situations. Baltimore was playing with Lamar and EVERYONE knew it. Now if Lamar had gone into the season with the tag... I bet you'd have seen a different outcome.

MVP QB available why no offers?

Not even a offer sheet. Does that same shady or not?

Brady MVP QB FA had multiple suitors.

This was about Lamar contract not becoming the new norm. Which is why not 1 single owner was brave enough to even throw out an offer sheet. These owners talk and they have a code you don't break. They showed their power in this particular situation.

16 minutes ago, t96 said:

Aside from what several others have pointed out regarding the circumstances of his alleged "availability," the MVP race this year really is an absolute joke. Lamar is "leading the way" right now with 24 TDs and 13 turnovers and just barely over 4000 yards including his rushing...

To compare to previous MVPs:

2022 Mahomes. 45 TDs, 12 turnovers, ~5600 yards

2021 Rodgers. 40 TDs, 4 turnovers, ~4200 yards

2020 Rodgers. 51 TDs, 7 turnovers, ~4400 yards

2019 Jackson. 43 TDs, 8 turnovers, ~4300 yards (although 1200 were rushing which is NFL record)

2018 Mahomes. 52 TDs, 14 turnovers, ~5300 yards

2017 Brady. 32 TDs, 11 turnovers, ~4500 yards

2016 Ryan. 38 TDs, 9 turnovers, ~5000 yards

2015 Cam. 45 TDs, 14 turnovers, ~4500 yards 

Staggering difference between all of those (even the weaker ones like Brady and Ryan) and Lamar this year. Even if he puts up 8 more TDs and 600 yards the last 2 weeks, it's extremely weak compared to large majority of those years, and he's pacing to add 3 more TDs not 8.

MVP has become a team stat for QBs and the only reason Lamar is even in the conversation is because of the Ravens' record and a high profile late season victory over another top team last night. McCaffrey probably deserves MVP the most, or Tyreek Hill. But because they have to give it to a QB and others have either struggled (Purdy) or their teams have been losing (Hurts, Dak) it's Lamar as the favorite right now. His play is above average but 2nd tier this year. And he's got an elite OL and some weapons there, if he was here instead of Bryce he'd look like trash.

It's Tyreek Hill at the moment, IMO.

The 49ers had McCaffery but missed Williams and Deebo and lost games. It's goofy to include RB's in the MVP discussion anymore and especially on the 49ers. 

Lamar would be far better here than Bryce, that's not a question at all. Even under the pressure Bryce gets, Lamar would be scrambling ans making plays with his feet that Bryce isn't capable of. That's why he is so hard to defend(same as Cam, Vick, etc), you HAVE to account for his rushing ability AND his throwing ability. If you cheat one or the other, they are going to hurt you.