• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Relocation question....

Jmac

1 hour ago, djp14 said:

Which city council are you talking about?  Because, when it comes to footing the bill for arenas and stadium renovations, the Charlotte City Council has never been afraid to bend over for billionaires.

If you're referring to the Hornets' arena, Charlotte owns that building, not the team. The team just leases it. But yeah, they weren't afraid to pony up money when Richardson wanted to upgrade the stadium either. That said, paying for a new stadium when interest in the team is at an all time low is a totally different ballgame.

5 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If you're referring to the Hornets' arena, Charlotte owns that building, not the team. The team just leases it. But yeah, they weren't afraid to pony up money when Richardson wanted to upgrade the stadium either. That said, paying for a new stadium when interest in the team is at an all time low is a totally different ballgame.

Tepper definitely wants a new stadium and he definitely expects a huge chunk of the money to come from the city of Charlotte and not his own very ample pockets. Every financial study that has ever looked into it has found that public investments into professional sports stadiums provides horrendous dollar ROI. With Tepper being wildly unpopular and Panthers fandom at it's lowest I can't see handing him a bag being politically expedient.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Tepper definitely wants a new stadium and he definitely expects a huge chunk of the money to come from the city of Charlotte and not his own very ample pockets. Every financial study that has ever looked into it has found that public investments into professional sports stadiums provides horrendous dollar ROI. With Tepper being wildly unpopular and Panthers fandom at it's lowest I can't see handing him a bag being politically expedient.

But would it matter to the politicians if he promises them jobs if they get voted out? Plus, there are the bribes, I mean contributions, to get what he wants.

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Tepper’s net worth is $20 billion. 5% interest on that is 1 billion a year. He can pay for his own stadium by just saving his interest income.

Realistically, a bank would give him a 0.5% (or less) interest loan given his assets and the value of the new stadium.

I’m gonna pass on using tax funds for that. I know CLT has all this tourist tax money, but we can find better uses of that.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Tepper’s net worth is $20 billion. 5% interest on that is 1 billion a year. He can pay for his own stadium by just saving his interest income.

Realistically, a bank would give him a 0.5% (or less) interest loan given his assets and the value of the new stadium.

I’m gonna pass on using tax funds for that. I know CLT has all this tourist tax money, but we can find better uses of that.

It's not about the money when you have his wealth. It's about "winning" and forcing your will. Lack of winning on the field probably leaves him even more in need of getting his winning fix off the field.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

We are a top 10 population area and CLT is a rapidly growing city, although so is the Triangle area. 

IMO, we would be on the table for another team IF the NFL wants to expand in the US. My guess is that they are more focused on expanding their overseas brand than expansion domestically, so I suspect if they moved it could be a very long time or possibly would need to wait for another team to relocate.

Problem with Charlotte it's on the Western part of the state. Raleigh is much more convenient for out of city fans to attend the games. The Triangle area should have another pro team. Fans are much more passionate in the Triangle area.

Charlotte is almost a 4 hour drive for me. That's the only thing I hate about the team being in Charlotte.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Problem with Charlotte it's on the Western part of the state. Raleigh is much more convenient for out of city fans to attend the games. The Triangle area should have another pro team. Fans are much more passionate in the Triangle area.

Charlotte is almost a 4 hour drive for me. That's the only thing I hate about the team being in Charlotte.

Raleigh is a four hour drive from Asheville......it's all relative 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not about the money when you have his wealth. It's about "winning" and forcing your will. Lack of winning on the field probably leaves him even more in need of getting his winning fix off the field.

He would ‘Win’ in the PR department by building a stadium without tax funds.

If he wants to be liked, there’s his chance.

4 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Raleigh is a four hour drive from Asheville......it's all relative 

Charlotte is a 4 hour drive to Atlanta. 

Eastern NC has more of the major cities. You have the Triangle that's arguably the most important region in the Carolina's then you have the beach coast. Fayetteville is home of the largest military base in the US which is only a hour drive from Raleigh.

I hate to sound rude, but Eastern NC is more important than the Western part of the Carolina's which is mainly just mountains anyway.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Charlotte is a 4 hour drive to Atlanta. 

Eastern NC has more of the major cities. You have the Triangle that's arguably the most important region in the Carolina's then you have the beach coast. Fayetteville is home of the largest military base in the US which is only a hour drive from Raleigh.

I hate to sound rude, but Eastern NC is more important than the Western part of the Carolina's which is mainly just mountains anyway.

Charlotte is central to everyone on NC and SC. That’s the point.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Charlotte is central to everyone on NC and SC. That’s the point.

I don't consider SC the Panthers team.

Hell I think a majority of SC fans are fans of other teams anyway. We were an expansion team those SC fans already had teams before us. Hell even most of NC are not even Panthers fans. Just look at our stadium over the past decade. Damn near a 50/50 crowd.

Raleigh will at least show up to the games. We will cheer loud and proud. You will feel the HFA with the rowdy Triangle and other surrounding areas in town. We are the heart n soul of the Carolina's!

@Move the Panthers to Raleigh can I get some pie my brotha!

• Flames 2