• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFC South 2024 Offseason Financials [Spotrac]

Didn't see this article posted elsewhere. Gives a quick summary of the possible cap saving moves the team can make this offseason.

CAP CLEARING POSSIBILITIES

• Trade CB Donte Jackson, freeing up $6M of cap
  • Extend S Xavier Woods, lowering his $7.75M cap hit
  • Extend DT Derrick Brown, lowering his $11.6M cap hit
  • Process a full base salary conversion on DT Shy Tuttle, freeing up $4.3M of cap when factoring in 3 void years.
  • Convert $10M of base salary & a $3M roster bonus from OT Taylor Moton, freeing up $10.4M of cap
  • Designate OL Austin Corbett a Post 6/1 release before March 15th, freeing up $6.25M after June 1st.
  • Process a full base salary plus a $1.5M roster bonus conversion on C Bradley Bozeman, freeing up $3.6M of cap when factoring in 3 void years
  • Process a full base salary plus a $2.15M roster bonus conversion on TE Hayden Hurst, freeing up $5.4M of cap when factoring in 3 void years
  • Release TE Ian Thomas, freeing up $2.35M of cap
  • Process a full base salary plus a $2M roster bonus conversion on WR Adam Thielen, freeing up $5M of cap when factoring in 3 void years
  • Convert Miles Sanders’ $2M roster bonus into signing bonus, then trade his remaining $4.2M salary, freeing up $5.5M of cap
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

We can also roll over $6-7 mil from this season.

Only 4.8 mil in dead cap (this is huge that we're finally out of dead cap hell)

Est. space will be around 40 mil, some of these moves should get us north of $50 mil easily. 

--

Whoever the new crew is, they'll have plenty of room to work with on building what they want.  We had that luxury in 2011 for Rivera's first season, but Hurney was still in the building.

We are primed for a complete build from the ground up for the first time in forever.  

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I can't even worry about this stuff right now. It's cart before the house in my mind. But I understand the need to change the subject now and then. Carry on.

Understandable. I'm also more intrigued by the GM search at the moment. It was more of a "hey someone wrote a short article pertaining to the Panthers" and I figured it would be good to share before I forgot it existed.

• Pie 1

Just now, Evil Hurney said:

Understandable. I'm also more intrigued by the GM search at the moment. It was more of a "hey someone wrote a short article pertaining to the Panthers" and I figured it would be good to share before I forgot it existed.

No worries my friend. It's worth the discussion. I'm just a loud mouth in the corner talking out of my ass as usual. 

• Pie 1

Corbett might be done, or at least never the same.  However, with the focus on WR, we may have few options. 

Rework Moton's deal and trade him.  That would save nearly 30m.  Our best OL, he is 30 and likely will be over the hill when this team is ready to compete for a title.

I would try to trade DJax and Thielen. Would also see if there's any takers for Sanders. 

If Huff or Allen could be had in FA, I'd trade Burns if it gets us something like '24 R1, '24 R2, '25 R2. Spend the money from Burns on Huff/Allen/Young and get back into the first this year and replace the BY 2nd lost in '25.

Also need to throw the bag at Higgins, so any additional money would go towards him. 

Now that we're out of dead cap hell, I'd prefer if we didn't jump back into it with cap management. However, we need to do everything possible to help Bryce and re-sign Luvu and Burns....or a Burns replacement. I think YGM will continue to be a solid opposite partner, so re-signing him is on my "to-do" list.

That Hayden Hurst $$ number is no bueno. We have to improve the TE position and keep Tremble as a TE2.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Keep Brown and see a new deal.

See what a new deal with Moton looks like if not solid then trade away, no reason to get back into Burns territory with that needing to be addressed. 

Trade for what they can: Jackson and Horn need to be gone neither can be relied upon at this point. Theilen is wasted here and should play out his career somewhere with hope. See if Woods has trade value. See if Sanders has trade value. 

Cut Tuttle, Hurst and Thomas. Just get it over with, June 1st whoever makes the most sense. Add in Corbett. 

Not sure about Bozeman. Feel like if he isn't a fit here he could still net a pick maybe. 

Do not sign Burns longterm. Tag and trade or let walk if it looks ugly. 

• Pie 1

There is absolutely NO reason to be tacking void years onto contracts at the moment. We have plenty of cap space to navigate and our team is obviously not going to be a contender in the next 2 years. Why would we cap strap ourselves in the future when the team may actually have an opportunity to compete. 

We should be front loading new contracts right now, and aiming for putting together a competitive team in 2 to 3 years, not the opposite. Trade away players that are aging, and less likely to contribute to our future. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1