• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCarthy and Corum to Enter the Draft

45catfan

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

McCarthy should be there at #33, would take him?  Corum is too small and has an injury history, I'll pass on him.

I was coming here to see if there was a thread about this.  I see him as a developmental QB with a good arm and good speed.  I would take him.  I am not sure I would start him in 2024, but I would take him and let him compete with Andy and Young.

I still think there is a glimmer of hope for Young, with a better OL and WRs, but I really think they let him go past the point of no return--experience is good, but getting humiliated again and again is how you break a 22 year old kid.  Still, with 3 QB options (when nobody has shown they deserve a job) is better than 2.  I wanted a WR, but they can be found later. 

I do not think Fitterer and the team / Tepper could have had a worse off season.  Horrible.  As if they were trying to lose.

17 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I was coming here to see if there was a thread about this.  I see him as a developmental QB with a good arm and good speed.  I would take him.  I am not sure I would start him in 2024, but I would take him and let him compete with Andy and Young.

I still think there is a glimmer of hope for Young, with a better OL and WRs, but I really think they let him go past the point of no return--experience is good, but getting humiliated again and again is how you break a 22 year old kid.  Still, with 3 QB options (when nobody has shown they deserve a job) is better than 2.  I wanted a WR, but they can be found later. 

I do not think Fitterer and the team / Tepper could have had a worse off season.  Horrible.  As if they were trying to lose.

McCarthy is a "49ers" type of guy.  He needs the right system and a solid team around him to be successful.  Drop him on the Panthers roster and he will suck.  I have no glimmer of hope for Young.  He's not cut from NFL cloth.  Will he be better?  Sure, but will he be the franchise QB we need him to be? Nope, not even close.

While I got your attention, let's revisit something--remember this?

On 2/5/2023 at 10:30 AM, 45catfan said:

Bump. Still my favorite scenario this draft.  We should not trade up for a QB this year, Levis and Richardson have serious issues (Richardson extremely raw, Levis just not that good).  Trade back a few spots, draft Mayer, pick up a couple of picks and retool the offense while adding 2-3 pieces on the defense.

Next year's draft at QB is so much better and the pieces we draft this year on offense will already have a season under their belt.  If we sit that guy for a year, then the players we take this draft will have TWO years under their belt. 

Point being, we have to eventually draft a QB, but set the guy up for success.

I swear you and I could have put this damn roster together better than Fitterer.  Rashee Rice tore it up last night and guess who I wanted over Mingo?  Yup, you guessed it. Fug, you would think this is rocket science, but it's not.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

McCarthy is a "49ers" type of guy.  He needs the right system and a solid team around him to be successful.  Drop him on the Panthers roster and he will suck.  I have no glimmer of hope for Young.  He's not cut from NFL cloth.  Will he be better?  Sure, but will he be the franchise QB we need him to be? Nope, not even close.

While I got your attention, let's revisit something--remember this?

I swear you and I could have put this damn roster together better than Fitterer.  Rashee Rice tore it up last night and guess who I wanted over Mingo?  Yup, you guessed it. Fug, you would think this is rocket science, but it's not.

I can't remember breakfast and its 8:30.  Thanks for sharing.  I mean, we really are on the same page and I always find it very difficult to argue against your points---not sure I ever have.  I think they make it more complicated than it has to be.  Young was always playing with the lead, had a great ground attack, good WRs, defense, etc.  McCarthy, to me, is a pick for the future.  You really have to look at the situation.  We overpaid for Sanders running behind the best OL in the NFL.  THAT money should have gone to OL and we could have gone out back and picked a RB off the "dime a dozen" tree.  I liked the Theilen hire, with reservations, but signing Chark, who led the league in time in the Blue Tent in Detroit, was stupid--and that was to be the #1. WR.  We reached for Mingo. 

I am most disappointed in Campen.  Ekwonu is not good yet, Zavala, Mays, and Bozeman seem to have regressed.  Sure, he had injuries, but on paper, we had depth.  Fitterer was a complete and total joke, and I hope Tepper learned that in terms of football, he is an owner, and we need his dollars, not his brain power.  Jeez. 

And my hope for Young is to get all the way up to mediocre. 

• Pie 1

McCarthy is interesting. When I’ve seen him play I’ve never been that impressed. But instead of his surroundings helping him, maybe it has held him back? Maybe he could have done a lot more if asked to? Or maybe I’m just completely overthinking this?

15 hours ago, Martin said:

McCarthy is interesting. When I’ve seen him play I’ve never been that impressed. But instead of his surroundings helping him, maybe it has held him back? Maybe he could have done a lot more if asked to? Or maybe I’m just completely overthinking this?

I have only seen him play a few times, but when I did, I was impressed with his speed (deceptive), his intelligence, and his accuracy (72% completions, 22 TDs vs 4 Ints).  His WRs were very young, and the offense was very run heavy--so they did not need him to stretch the field very often.  I sorta see him as a diamond in the rough--worth the #33 pick?  I think so.  We need two WRs and some attention on the OL. 

However, you could argue that they are not going to give up on the #1 overall pick this quickly, and the best approach is to give Bryce and Andy another year while developing the OL WR and TE rooms.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have only seen him play a few times, but when I did, I was impressed with his speed (deceptive), his intelligence, and his accuracy (72% completions, 22 TDs vs 4 Ints).  His WRs were very young, and the offense was very run heavy--so they did not need him to stretch the field very often.  I sorta see him as a diamond in the rough--worth the #33 pick?  I think so.  We need two WRs and some attention on the OL. 

However, you could argue that they are not going to give up on the #1 overall pick this quickly, and the best approach is to give Bryce and Andy another year while developing the OL WR and TE rooms.

Does it feel like if we had a veteran and he could sit for a year or two he would be a great pick, but drafting him to compete with Bryce is a stretch? I really want the best G/C at 33.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:36 PM, Panfan35 said:

I would take a flier on Joe Milton from Tennessee in 4th 6-5 245 with a cannon can throw80+ yards will need to sit a few years should know if Bryce isn’t going to work out either way we a contingency plan

Joe Milton is not a good player.  At all.  I doubt he is drafted.

As much as I want a QB in the 2024 draft I really don't see the Panthers taking one. I see Young getting one more chance to lock down that spot behind a better o-line and better weapons. If he flops, then 2025 is the year we take a QB with possibly the number one overall pick. When Young is bad he's almost like a high school kid out there throwing turkeys. If he does that in 2024 then we're a lock for the #1 or #2 overall pick.

I like a lot of these 2024 system QBs. One problem, our "system" is we don't have one. We had complete morons running this franchise into the ground, and it's going to take a while to recover. 2024 can be the year of slowly recovering, and then we make our move for a QB in 2025.

3 hours ago, pantherj said:

As much as I want a QB in the 2024 draft I really don't see the Panthers taking one. I see Young getting one more chance to lock down that spot behind a better o-line and better weapons. If he flops, then 2025 is the year we take a QB with possibly the number one overall pick. When Young is bad he's almost like a high school kid out there throwing turkeys. If he does that in 2024 then we're a lock for the #1 or #2 overall pick.

I like a lot of these 2024 system QBs. One problem, our "system" is we don't have one. We had complete morons running this franchise into the ground, and it's going to take a while to recover. 2024 can be the year of slowly recovering, and then we make our move for a QB in 2025.

One problem, weaker class.  We already took "a" QB, we need to take THE RIGHT QB.  NIx may be there at #33, and had he stayed, he could have been the QB1 in 2025's class.

Going all in on Young again is a dumb, dumb, move.

32 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

One problem, weaker class.  We already took "a" QB, we need to take THE RIGHT QB.  NIx may be there at #33, and had he stayed, he could have been the QB1 in 2025's class.

Going all in on Young again is a dumb, dumb, move.

If you look at my mock drafts I snap up QBs. I want one immediately. The Panthers on the other hand, who knows.

• Pie 1