• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you want a Dan Campbell (leader of men) or Mike McDaniel (idiot savant) style of coach?

TheBigKat

When you get a coach who doesnt have true leadership qualities, you open yourself up to poo like the divided locker room fiasco that we experienced this season.

Sure, it can happen to anyone but you best believe that the Wilks, Campbells, Tomlin types are shutting the Chit down and making for damn sure that he doesnt lose the locker room.

Youre dealing with testosterone filled, 20 something year old alphas like Smitty, Ray Lewis, Aaron Donald etc., who have to WANT to go to war for you, and not just for a paycheck.

They are looking the coach in the eye and evaluating him the same way that they’ve been evaluated athletically.

The Reich & Rhule types aint it.

Edited by Mills
  • Beer 1

Said it elsewhere: The most important thing to me in a head coach is that they be smart.

Mike McDaniel is smart. So is Dan Campbell. They just have different personalities.

Winning in the NFL requires intelligence and adaptation. What wins today might not win two or three years from now, or sometimes even the following season (ask Ricky Manning).

Mike Shula was able to create an offensive scheme that was super effective, but when other teams figured out how to beat it, he had no clue how to respond.

I want us to hire somebody who can take the punches that other NFL teams are throwing and figure out how to punch back.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Seems like the best defensive coaches are smart former linebackers. If only we had one of those lying around. Luke would be an amazing head coach I think. He'd burn himself out in about 3 years though. 

That's what we've been missing on this team since he and Davis retired as well. I linebacker to bring that attitude and leadership.  Shaq was never going to be that. Mills, Morgan, Beason, Davis, Luke. We've always had that leader and it's severely lacking right now

Edited by toldozer

Lemme throw in another reason why I don't care that much about personality...

How many remember Ray Rhodes?

Rhodes became famous after coaching the Eagles to victory in a game via a profanity laced halftime tirade that was so graphic players told people they couldn't even repeat small portions of it.

In their season review for the Eagles that season, NFL Films made a big deal of that moment. General expectation was that Rhodes was gonna be something special and that speech would be a turning point that people would remember farvdown the road.

Three mostly unremarkable years later, the Eagles fired Rhodes. He immediately got another head coaching job in Green Bay, and was promptly fired again after a single season.

Having that kind of fiery personality isn't enough if you don't also have something more to offer.

Rhodes didn't.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lemme throw in another reason why I don't care that much about personality...

How many remember Ray Rhodes?

Rhodes became famous after coaching the Eagles to victory in a game via a profanity laced halftime tirade that was so graphic players told people they couldn't even repeat small portions of it.

In their season review for the Eagles that season, NFL Films made a big deal of that moment. General expectation was that Rhodes was gonna be something special and that speech would be a turning point that people would remember farvdown the road.

Three mostly unremarkable years later, the Eagles fired Rhodes. He immediately got another head coaching job in Green Bay, and was promptly fired again after a single season.

Having that kind of fiery personality isn't enough if you don't also have something more to offer.

Rhodes didn't.

Mike Singletary as well.

• Pie 1

This franchise is void of any sort of culture at the moment. They need a "leader of men" type to build that here. For whatever reason, you tend to only get those types of coaches when they come from the defensive side of the ball.

This franchise had had its most success with that model - Capers, Fox, Rivera. I'd like to see them go that direction and find a bright mind to run the offensive side of the ball. 

• Pie 1

We have such a cloud of poo over the organization and a culture of losing. That's why I'm leaning towards someone to lead even if it means we improve to just 0.500 as our record. Then I think we'll be ready for someone to maximize the talents via savant scheming.

Steelers fans have been so lucky to have Tomlin this long.

• Pie 2