• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Quandary: 2024 Draft, FA Stopgap, or Stand Pat?

rayzor

best course of action at QB in 2024  

86 members have voted

1. 1. best course of action at QB in 2024

• 2024 draft pick
    • FA stop gap to get us through to 2025
    • Stand Pat with who we've got

Bryce hasn't had enough time to know he's for sure a bust or not. Get a good coach with the right system in place and then see what he can do. This draft has a lot of possible QBs being drafted in the first round which will be great for us as less other positions will have been drafted at that point. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Feel like the best route to go would be to have veteran competition for Young, not just a veteran mentor.

What good is vet competition really going to achieve? Honestly, at many times vets should win by default because they are more experienced. I have little doubts that Andy Dalton wouldn't have put us into a better position to win a few more games this past season. I also believe, like in many cases, that a vet will win a competition if all things are equal--like time with the ones--by simply performing better. I also think that coaches give high first round picks the benefit of the doubt, or the defacto win, because that's what GMs and/or owners want after investing so much into a player in the modern NFL, where patience is not the priority and time is perceived as of the essence due to rookie contracts. Moreover, if a vet (who you know is a Band-Aid) were to legitimately win a competition, then you're likely going to push your draft position lower and lower, right out of the top 10 (where it naturally should be), and possibly enter the no-man's-land where QBs aren't necessarily franchise level, but just good enough to keep you in perpetual frustration; that, or either you have to give some other team a king's ransom to move up. 

I just don't see the sense in a "competition" with a vet QB. To me, the better plan is to take a swing in the draft and acquire someone with talent that can also be developed, and just might surprise you. From what I've seen of Young thus far, he is beatable in a real competition by another young gun (like a Spencer Rattler or Bo Nix). Someone like that could at least push Young in theory, and maybe with their very presence.

Edited by top dawg

43 minutes ago, ncsu12engr said:

Bryce hasn't had enough time to know he's for sure a bust or not. Get a good coach with the right system in place and then see what he can do. This draft has a lot of possible QBs being drafted in the first round which will be great for us as less other positions will have been drafted at that point. 

A lot of WRs too, which is what we need.  Actually, more WRs will be taken in round one than QBs.

If we don't do something, I predict a sea of blue seats at The Bank in Charlotte on Sundays. I don't know how that will affect the morale of coaches, players and fans for the overall viability of the season. I don't know that an aging vet is enough to inject enough juice to fuel any excitement. A young blood might.

You MAYBE draft a QB late if you like a guy to have as a young backup.

But you gotta see what Bryce looks like under a new staff. It is as simple as that. They’ll have year 1 to review, all of the offseason, camp, preseason, and through at least the first 8-10 games to know what they’ve got in him.

You're not benching him for a vet early and you’re not getting anyone to compete in 2024. Anyone being realistic should know that’s not happening regardless of how much you disliked what you saw this season. Maybe we draft a guy late who could be a backup and come in if Dalton is indisposed.

It’s Bryce in 2024, like it or not. He could be stored away come November, could be a mixed bag we are still unsure about come week 18, or maybe he overcomes it all and looks legit.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So in your opinion they SHOULD waste more assets on another QB when they already have one under a rookie contract (That already cost us a ton of assets to acquire) as well as a proven vet starter who has a history of being solid and no first round pick this year?

That's some Fitterer roster building logic.

We don't have an NFL calibre QB under a rookie contract. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, ncsu12engr said:

He's had 16 games.

His stats so far are in record breaking territory (the bad kind). The only reason that's the case is because he was the #1 overall pick (that we traded 5 premium players for) and he was going to be run out there regardless of performance.

Any other QB performing that badly in NFL history has been benched. Yet some of you think we need more time to evaluate him.

He's clearly a bust. It's a sunk cost - Tepper should understand those. If we want to bring this franchise back to anything approaching respectability we need to hire a GM who plans for a future without Bryce Young starting this offseason.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Our self awareness is terrible. Our roster is terrible, we need to quit worry about winning an extra 3-4 games but instead worry about building a roster.

I wouldn’t even worry about veteran competition. Sign a cheap guy to back him up and play out the year. 

We spent a fortune for Bryce, put him out there, he either improves or he gets us get a better pick in 25.  Maybe he improves a little, and turns into a backup and you get some value out of him. 

Also I would be using most of my resources to improve the offense. Whether it’s Young or a rookie in 2025 we need better players on that side of the ball to correctly evaluate and develop whatever an it is.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1