• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Quandary: 2024 Draft, FA Stopgap, or Stand Pat?

rayzor

best course of action at QB in 2024  

86 members have voted

1. 1. best course of action at QB in 2024

• 2024 draft pick
    • FA stop gap to get us through to 2025
    • Stand Pat with who we've got

I'm no longer in the we need legit competition camp.  I don't want some old JAG QB coming in if we bench Bryce and leading us to 7 wins or something. 

I say we start Bryce and if he continues to stink.....we ride him to another top pick and part with him.  If instead he develops and improves? Fantastic. 

• Pie 5

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

To continue throwing QBs at this roster as a quick fix is insanity. Build a competent offense and reevaluate Young. Honestly I think Sanders might be the guy in the 25 class if it comes to that. 

Whew, that '25 QB class better show out this fall, that's all I've got to say.  If we only had our first rounder this year...

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Whew, that '25 QB class better show out this fall, that's all I've got to say.  If we only had our first rounder this year...

Careful this class might not be as good as people thought. You never know. I see 2 solid prospects in Maye and Williams. I believe you were also hating on Stroud last year because of where he played….

• Flames 3

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm no longer in the we need legit competition camp.  I don't want some old JAG QB coming in if we bench Bryce and leading us to 7 wins or something. 

I say we start Bryce and if he continues to stink.....we ride him to another top pick and part with him.  If instead he develops and improves? Fantastic. 

This is the most logical answer. Spend our resources on trying to create some sort of an offense. Then we can reevaluate Young and decide from there. 

51 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's had 16 games.

His stats so far are in record breaking territory (the bad kind). The only reason that's the case is because he was the #1 overall pick (that we traded 5 premium players for) and he was going to be run out there regardless of performance.

Any other QB performing that badly in NFL history has been benched. Yet some of you think we need more time to evaluate him.

He's clearly a bust. It's a sunk cost - Tepper should understand those. If we want to bring this franchise back to anything approaching respectability we need to hire a GM who plans for a future without Bryce Young starting this offseason.

It's not even the numbers for me. It's the eye test. If his numbers were bad but he showed elite talent I'd be willing to have more patience but he just hasn't shown NFL talent.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Careful this class might not be as good as people thought. You never know. I see 2 solid prospects in Maye and Williams. I believe you were also hating on Stroud last year because of where he played….

Yup, but I also said if we did take a QB, he'd be the one I'd take....reluctantly.  I'd still rather had all our picks last year and be set up to take a top 10 QB this year.    But no, everyone had their panties in a wad because of Mayfield and Darnold.  Patience is a virtue and outside of Rhule, Tepper has had none.

Don't worry, I'm very confident this QB class will produce 2-3 solid QBs.  Stroud may be the only one from last year and if so, I was correct.  Granted he did a lot better than I expected, but Young looks bad, Levis looks like I expected and Richardson relied on his legs too often because he's so inaccurate resulting in the predictable injury.

43 minutes ago, CRA said:

This is the best way to go.  Spend draft choices and salary on improving the positions around the QB.  If Bryce doesn’t work out, at least we have better pieces around the position for the next guy.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yup, but I also said if we did take a QB, he'd be the one I'd take....reluctantly.  I'd still rather had all our picks last year and be set up to take a top 10 QB this year.    But no, everyone had their panties in a wad because of Mayfield and Darnold.  Patience is a virtue and outside of Rhule, Tepper has had none.

Don't worry, I'm very confident this QB class will produce 2-3 solid QBs.  Stroud may be the only one from last year and if so, I was correct.  Granted he did a lot better than I expected, but Young looks bad, Levis looks like I expected and Richardson relied on his legs too often because he's so inaccurate resulting in the predictable injury.

Just be careful with the waaaay to early “receipts” talk. The right QBs have to land in the right places most of the time for it to work. Who knows how the 25 class will look. So far it’s Sanders, Ewers, Ward and there can be Burrow QBs that come out of the blue. Remember last year Daniels wasn’t a first round pick….

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Just be careful with the waaaay to early “receipts” talk. The right QBs have to land in the right places most of the time for it to work. Who knows how the 25 class will look. So far it’s Sanders, Ewers, Ward and there can be Burrow QBs that come out of the blue. Remember last year Daniels wasn’t a first round pick….

I'm good.  If I happen to be wrong about the 2024 and 2025  QB classes, I'll own up to it.  No, it's not too early for receipts, BTW.  Our season is over so 2024 draft talk/speculation is totally fair game.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not even the numbers for me. It's the eye test. If his numbers were bad but he showed elite talent I'd be willing to have more patience but he just hasn't shown NFL talent.

The eye test can be wrong and weren't you the guy that said this about another QB?

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's almost like playing QB in the NFL is pretty hard and that football is a team game and not just two QBs playing one on one.

7 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The eye test can be wrong and weren't you the guy that said this about another QB?

I'm talking about basic physical traits. He has one of the worst arms in the league. He struggles to see downfield when the pocket gets muddy. Those aren't development issues. Those are generic issues.

• Pie 1