• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Best Case Scenario

t96

I'm probably making a huge mistake letting myself have any positivity about this team knowing I'll almost certainly be let down and I'm not a fan of the Canales hire but as I'm ever the optimist, I can't help but think about the best case scenario this year.

That best case scenario could actually closely mirror the LA Rams when they hired McVay. If Canales can prove that he is the real deal, I think our roster is in a similar shape to LA's that year he took over. Rams went from 4-12 with rookie 1st overall pick Goff to 11-5 in year 1 with McVay and Goff a pro bowler. Rams D had some scattered talent but outside of Donald no true difference makers. Their O had no clear difference makers except maybe Gurley who was coming off a very poor year. Their OL had a lot of talent but had underperformed before McVay took over (sound familiar??) and yeah adding Whitworth in FA was huge. And they had no 1st round pick just like us this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Los_Angeles_Rams_season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Los_Angeles_Rams_season

Goff rookie year:

Year Team Games Passing Rushing Sacked Fumbles
GP GS Record Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A Lng TD Int Rtg Att Yds Y/A Lng TD Sck SckY Fum Lost
2016 LAR 7 7 0–7 112 205 54.6 1,089 5.3 66 5 7 63.6 8 16 2.0 6 1 26 222 5 2

Bryce rookie year:

Year Team Games Passing Rushing Sacks Fumbles
GP GS Record Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A Lng TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg Lng TD Sck SckY Fum Lost
2023 CAR 16 16 2–14 315 527 59.8 2,877 5.5 48 11 10 73.7 39 253 6.5 26 0 62 477 11 6

Canales absolutely has his work cut out for him just like McVay did but in a best case scenario he could get the most out of Bryce and the OL talent and our D has Brown (not Donald level of course) and enough other decent pieces to where we saw some positives on defense under Evero despite the O putting them in a tough position every single game and despite all the injuries we had. So basically a surprisingly quick turnaround is not impossible and has been done before. We'd need Canales to be as legit as McVay and get the most out of a perceived bust 1st overall QB but it can happen. Flame away

• Beer 2

I choose to believe this because the alternative isn't fun lol. Rams drafted some nice players in that year's draft in TE Gerald Everett, WR Cooper Kupp, S John Johnson III, and WR Josh Reynolds with picks 44, 69 (nice), 91, and 117 respectively. We absolutely need to hit on picks 33, 65, and our 4th rounder this year.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 2

9 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

McVay was coming from one of the best offensive staffs ever assembled and is an idiot football savant.

In Canales one year of being an OC, his unit was the definition of mid. 

Redskins with McVay as OC:

2014: 13th in YPG, 26th in PPG

2015: 17th in YPG, 10th in PPG

2016: 3rd in YPG, 12th in PPG

Bucs with Canales:

2023: 23rd in YPG, 20th in PPG

Who knows how Canales would do with 2 more years as OC (and with a better QB like Cousins), that's partly why I'm not a fan of the hire, we need to see more. But his first year as OC really isn't that much different than McVay's. A bit worse in YPG, a bit better in PPG but both were "mid." Again the point isn't to compare Canales to McVay, of course McVay was a much hotter candidate and in hindsight has proven to be one of the best HCs in the league. Just saying if Canales can prove to be close to that level as a HC as well there is a blueprint for quick success here.

28 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

McVay was coming from one of the best offensive staffs ever assembled and is an idiot football savant.

So McVay is an idiot and our new guy will be mediocre because of how his unit was this past season? Cool okay. What will this weekend's lotto numbers be while you are on a roll here?

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

He is going to have to be a miracle worker...and that is not what he looks like. He looks like a really good QB coach and meh OC. Verge already nailed it. My guess is those 2 made promises and if they can't get it out of Young we could be getting a new GM, HC and QB next year so that is a nice consolation prize to another offseason of hope for the best and you damn sure had better prepare for the worst. 

56 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

oh wow he remembered a couple massive plays in a few games from the previous year. complete Einstein 

15 hours ago, t96 said:

I'm probably making a huge mistake letting myself have any positivity about this team knowing I'll almost certainly be let down and I'm not a fan of the Canales hire but as I'm ever the optimist, I can't help but think about the best case scenario this year.

That best case scenario could actually closely mirror the LA Rams when they hired McVay. If Canales can prove that he is the real deal, I think our roster is in a similar shape to LA's that year he took over. Rams went from 4-12 with rookie 1st overall pick Goff to 11-5 in year 1 with McVay and Goff a pro bowler. Rams D had some scattered talent but outside of Donald no true difference makers. Their O had no clear difference makers except maybe Gurley who was coming off a very poor year. Their OL had a lot of talent but had underperformed before McVay took over (sound familiar??) and yeah adding Whitworth in FA was huge. And they had no 1st round pick just like us this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Los_Angeles_Rams_season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Los_Angeles_Rams_season

Goff rookie year:

Year Team Games Passing Rushing Sacked Fumbles
GP GS Record Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A Lng TD Int Rtg Att Yds Y/A Lng TD Sck SckY Fum Lost
2016 LAR 7 7 0–7 112 205 54.6 1,089 5.3 66 5 7 63.6 8 16 2.0 6 1 26 222 5 2

Bryce rookie year:

Year Team Games Passing Rushing Sacks Fumbles
GP GS Record Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A Lng TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg Lng TD Sck SckY Fum Lost
2023 CAR 16 16 2–14 315 527 59.8 2,877 5.5 48 11 10 73.7 39 253 6.5 26 0 62 477 11 6

Canales absolutely has his work cut out for him just like McVay did but in a best case scenario he could get the most out of Bryce and the OL talent and our D has Brown (not Donald level of course) and enough other decent pieces to where we saw some positives on defense under Evero despite the O putting them in a tough position every single game and despite all the injuries we had. So basically a surprisingly quick turnaround is not impossible and has been done before. We'd need Canales to be as legit as McVay and get the most out of a perceived bust 1st overall QB but it can happen. Flame away

Meh

Best Case Scenario? 

Spring 2024 press conference.......the only time I want Tepper to get in the last word on the Panther's organization as follows: 

"As of this morning, I am no longer the owner of the Panthers...........and (coughs and clears throat)..........that moving forward Nicole and I will have nothing more to do with the operations"

"We have decided to step back from our life's work and retire to an overseas address and wish the new ownership all the best..........thank you for your time this morning but I will not be taking any questions as the statement speaks for itself (while throwing his podium glass of water in Scott Fowler's face and leaves) ."

Edited by PghPanther