• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doubling down on Young. I don't like it. We NEED Young insurance.

top dawg

There is zero chance in hell Tepper would move on from Young after his rookie year in a season from hell. The Panthers still believe Young is a franchise QB. You don't have to agree with that but the absolute earliest I could see us moving on from Young is if we are the worst team in football again next year and it just so happens a guy is coming out worthy of the first overall pick and even then I think they would try to trade the pick 

• Poo 1

I know people will hate this but realistically Bryce should be given the 2024 AND 2025 seasons. 

we all know this roster is a mess and it won’t be even close to competing next year but 2 off seasons and a true 1 round pick heading Bryce’s 3 year should be enough to see what we have. That will be a better roster, a full year with the coaching staff/scheme and a more complete roster than what we will have next year. 

it would be idiotic to waste what little picks we have now on a QB who wouldn’t fare any better. 

What QB should we put our money on if not Bryce, where it's already accounted for? Bryce historically bad decisions vs our historically bad offensive line, I'll take Bryce. Don't get me wrong, I'm slightly skeptical, particularly of Bryce's arm strength, bc without ripping the ball, defenders can play off and guage the speed to pick it off. But right now Bryce is who we got and I think our safety net will be the same a well. We need to focus on o-line first, it's hurting more than our defense is. If we can protect our QB we can easily double our wins next season....LOL

2 hours ago, 0kBoomer said:

I know people will hate this but realistically Bryce should be given the 2024 AND 2025 seasons. 

we all know this roster is a mess and it won’t be even close to competing next year but 2 off seasons and a true 1 round pick heading Bryce’s 3 year should be enough to see what we have. That will be a better roster, a full year with the coaching staff/scheme and a more complete roster than what we will have next year. 

it would be idiotic to waste what little picks we have now on a QB who wouldn’t fare any better. 

It would be idiotic to run it back with a QB just cos you spent the #1 overall pick on him when a 35 year old QB who the NFL thinks is washed (5 teams in 5 years) blew his performances out of the water in his 1 start. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It would be idiotic to run it back with a QB just cos you spent the #1 overall pick on him when a 35 year old QB who the NFL thinks is washed (5 teams in 5 years) blew his performances out of the water in his 1 start. 

Can you name any first overall pick that was given on after his rookie season? No? Didn’t think so.

Just now, 0kBoomer said:

Can you name any first overall pick that was given on after his rookie season? No? Didn’t think so.

I can name a 10th overall pick who was given up on after his rookie season. He was also the most 'pro ready' QB in his Draft. 

Just now, OldhamA said:

I can name a 10th overall pick who was given up on after his rookie season. He was also the most 'pro ready' QB in his Draft. 

Cool. Now go look up all the first round qbs who had slow starts and their teams still stuck with them the following season. I guarantee you’ll find tons of examples of other teams being “idiotic” as you put it lol

Pro tip: if you argument requires leaning on the exception over the rule it’s probably not a very good one. 

28 minutes ago, 0kBoomer said:

Baseline talent and investment. 

do you think the first overall pick and a 7th rounder would be the same? 

*Assumed* baseline talent, maybe. Flip your question around: if a 7th rounder had played like Bryce, would they be given another year? If much less likely, why? The only answer is investment (and some perception factors from the folks who made that decision).

I'm not suggesting Carolina move on, though I'd love it if a quality prospect somehow magically fell into their laps, but rather commenting on your point. The only real thing keeping a player around in your scenario is draft investment, a.k.a. Zach Wilson.

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

*Assumed* baseline talent, maybe. Flip your question around: if a 7th rounder had played like Bryce, would they be given another year? If much less likely, why? The only answer is investment (and some perception factors from the folks who made that decision).

I'm not suggesting Carolina move on, though I'd love it if a quality prospect somehow magically fell into their laps, but rather commenting on your point. The only real thing keeping a player around in your scenario is draft investment, a.k.a. Zach Wilson.

where a kid is drafted is immediately  meaningless the second he steps on the field

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

You don’t get drafted first overall without there being talent there. There is nothing assumed about it. Whether that talent can translate is a different question but the talent remains. 

Simply put no QB could succeed given the circumstances this past season. Did Bryce contribute to those circumstances. Yes. Do you give up on the rookie because of that? No. 

That’s the question being discussed here. Change the scheme, get better coaching around him, fix the oline, add some receivers. 

If he is still playing bad after that then obviously you move on. But you can’t expect a successful franchise if you are so flippant with highly rated players not living up when you give them poo situations. 

it’s been proven countless times a QBs landing spot and situation is the biggest determiner of success. 

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wager what?

Given his significant medical history he's gonna be medically red flagged. That's a given.

Avatar bet.  Let's get through the combine and his pro day.  If he simply doesn't lay a dud in either of those, there's no way he lasts until the 3rd round. Yes, Penix has an injury history, but he's healthy now and should pass his medical exam. It's not like Hooker last year who actually was mending from an ACL injury.  No, Bo Nix will not be a bust. Superstar?  Not likely, but neither a bust.

It's so ironic that we should be in a position to get a QB, that in a weaker class would be a top 10 pick, but we're willing to effort a square peg in a round hole with Bryce just to give us a high pick in said weaker class in 2025.  The Panthers will Panther until either Tepper moves the team or sells.