• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why carolina can not* afford to lose Burns

4 hours ago, KSpan said:

In fairness to your comment I went and looked up the highlight... Brown already had a fistful of Baker on that play after he and Luvu blew up the pocket, and Baker was backpedaling and falling down when Burns finished him off. Burns did nothing of note on that play but got the statistical credit. This is not at all a counter to my point.

to me, it is.  But to each his own.

Fwiw, I am not arguing that Burns is a superstar or anything of the sort.  Just that he is a good DE, who can make good plays.  And I think if we get a better pass rush in general, he could get 10-12 sacks a year and force opposing offenses to account for him.   

But I do think we have backed ourselves into a corner with the way we handled his contract.  Could have gotten a lot for him last year, now we will get less.  I would almost rather pay him the bigger contract than do a trade that is unlikely to get much for him.  Or worse yet, cut him and get nothing more than cap space and a comp pick.   

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

We not paying a franchise qb yet. and with restructures we could have 40 million in cap space for this coming season. yes we can afford 2 keep him and then some if thats what we decided to do.

No, they do not need to extend him. Let him go somewhere else and get his money.  He is a waste of assets here.

22 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

We not paying a franchise qb yet. and with restructures we could have 40 million in cap space for this coming season. yes we can afford 2 keep him and then some if thats what we decided to do.

we basically need an entire new offense.  Like almost every single position.   and Burns is the 3rd best defender on the team.  

1 minute ago, L-TownCat said:

The biggest problem is we suck at drafting.

what good are shitty draft picks?

we should take all our picks and trade up to the first.  Hire Marty Hurney to a 2 hour contract to show up at the draft that night and make a selection. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

to me, it is.  But to each his own.

Fwiw, I am not arguing that Burns is a superstar or anything of the sort.  Just that he is a good DE, who can make good plays.  And I think if we get a better pass rush in general, he could get 10-12 sacks a year and force opposing offenses to account for him.   

But I do think we have backed ourselves into a corner with the way we handled his contract.  Could have gotten a lot for him last year, now we will get less.  I would almost rather pay him the bigger contract than do a trade that is unlikely to get much for him.  Or worse yet, cut him and get nothing more than cap space and a comp pick.   

No disagreement with your later statements, and I might be OK with keeping him at a decent price. That just doesn't seem likely at this point though, and if he walks with minimum compensation that's just a sign of how badly Fitterer screwed it up. However, the team team can't back the Brinks truck up out of fear.

15 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

The biggest problem is we suck at drafting.

what good are shitty draft picks?

If you think like that we’ll never be a good team again. We suck now and the only legitimate way we can get better is by starting to draft well. Fitterer is gone and while I’m not ecstatic that his right hand man is the new GM, it’s a change that I hope works. At this point, getting just a first for Burns is really risky because we have one pick plus the cap savings for 2 top FAs. The Rams offer would have been perfect as Fitterer wouldn’t be wasting the 2 firsts and there’s a high likelihood we would have thrown the Rams picks to Chicago (they were worth more pre-draft) and maybe kept DJ and our 1st overall.

I’m torn but I’d lean towards getting a 1st and cap space because I feel like we are far from contending so I’d rather have a cheaper asset and save space now to rollover to when we are better.

• Pie 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:29 PM, jayboogieman said:

How many of those other guys played as much as Burns did? How many of them were put into pass rush situations vs playing the run or being told to hold the edge? Just looking at one stat doesn't tell the whole story.

Also, there's not a player on the roster that shouldn't be traded if the price is right and that includes Brown, Thelen, and Burns. The Panthers need a huge infusion of talent and most likely a couple years away from winning at the earliest. If getting that talent infusion means trading away the more win now guys, so be it.

Luvu and Hubbard are my two keeps on this roster. Anyone else I agree. 

23 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

So you want to get rid of Christensen, Moton, and Brown?  I hope that doesn't happen.  

Not get rid of, I’d prefer to keep them. But like jayboogie said no if the price is right offers should be entertained. The two off limits to me are Hubbard and Luvu. Brown & Moton could fall into that category too. 

5 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Not get rid of, I’d prefer to keep them. But like jayboogie said no if the price is right offers should be entertained. The two off limits to me are Hubbard and Luvu. Brown & Moton could fall into that category too. 

How is Hubbard off limits? He’s a JAG. Just because he was the hardest working guy on offense doesn’t mean we can’t do better. That said, trading him is silly as we’d get nothing for him. A 3.8 ypc RB isn’t worth anything to other teams. Remember that we were the only idiots out there that threw big money at FA RBs.