• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Introductory Press Conference

9 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Canales emphasized turnovers in the press conference. If Evero is here I would think that's a big item they work on this year.

The only way the panthers were getting turnovers last year is if the defense tried to strip the running back every time as they ran clock for half the game. 

if you want to force turnovers you need to put the opposing offense into the right situations; namely abandoning the run and needing to pass. 

unfortunately our head coach has spent less time as a coordinator than he did writing a book about his addiction to milfhunter, and he’s excited about one of the worst qbs in the modern era. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 4

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

Dan going hard right there talking about how we need players that are passionate about football and inflict pain on the opponent and how we havent had enough of those players in recent history.

I thought that was super candid.  He said we need "dawgs" on the team.  Canales nodded.   Need those type of players "again."  Need the logo to be feared "again."  

No BS like we "need to build" blah blah.  Promising.  

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

I thought that was super candid.  He said we need "dawgs" on the team.  Canales nodded.   Need those type of players "again."  Need the logo to be feared "again."  

No BS like we "need to build" blah blah.  Promising.  

Good that he said we "need" dawgs because he recognizes that we don't currently have those players. Goodbye Burns? We need to players with attitude and I'm glad Dan Morgan was made GM. He is a former player and he knows the attitude you need to play with to succeed in the NFL. Players will also relate to him because he played the game, they don't have to listen to a GM whose never even touched a football or put on a helmet. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

unfortunately our head coach has spent less time as a coordinator than he did writing a book about his addiction to milfhunter, and he’s excited about one of the worst qbs in the modern era. 

He's not a perfect person.  Don't care.   It might not work.  What matters is there's a chance it will.  Hindsight maybe but there was no chance Rhule or Reich would be the guy. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Good that he said we "need" dawgs because he recognizes that we don't currently have those players. Goodbye Burns? We need to players with attitude and I'm glad Dan Morgan was made GM. He is a former player and he knows the attitude you need to play with to succeed in the NFL. Players will also relate to him because he played the game, they don't have to listen to a GM whose never even touched a football or put on a helmet. 

Not sure about Burns specifically,  but he was as clear as he could be that the roster isn't remotely close to good enough.  Not just talent, but character.  Pretty scathing really.   Good.

• Pie 8

24 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

The only way the panthers were getting turnovers last year is if the defense tried to strip the running back every time as they ran clock for half the game. 

if you want to force turnovers you need to put the opposing offense into the right situations; namely abandoning the run and needing to pass. 

You are insufferable.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, that's an example of why I think he is being overrated around here.   Because in reality, we were nowhere close to a top 5 defense last year. 

32nd in takeaways

29th in points allowed

middle of the road on 3rd down %

that yardage stat isn't telling a complete story. 

We need a new culture.  And we are forcing are new HC.....to inherit a lot of the old.   I still think a clean slate is the best way to change the culture. 

I don't think any amount of "culture" is going to overcome the sheer talent deficit on this team, which is far and away the most pressing issue.  We need an influx of talent both from a player standpoint and a coaching standpoint, i.e. creative playcalling, scheming, etc., then maybe we can have a discussion on culture.

Harping on culture I think is reserved more for teams like the Eagles who have a stacked roster but are underachieving on the field.  How do you define "culture" anyways?  That seems like more of a nebulous buzzword I would expect during coachspeak or something.  Is it just like a locker room that holds each other accountable?  

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

Not sure about Burns specifically,  but he was as clear as he could be that the roster isn't remotely close to good enough.  Not just talent, but character.  Pretty scathing really.   Good.

He definitely ripped the attitude of this past years team.    Turnover going to be high over next 24 months and we need it.

I hope he sets the example by trading Burns.   Everybody knows that even the "star" will be gone if they don't toughen up.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

I don't think any amount of "culture" is going to overcome the sheer talent deficit on this team, which is far and away the most pressing issue.  We need an influx of talent both from a player standpoint and a coaching standpoint, i.e. creative playcalling, scheming, etc., then maybe we can have a discussion on culture.

Harping on culture I think is reserved more for teams like the Eagles who have a stacked roster but are underachieving on the field.  How do you define "culture" anyways?  That seems like more of a nebulous buzzword I would expect during coachspeak or something.  Is it just like a locker room that holds each other accountable?  

Culture isn't the solution to the team being better next year.  

But it is the solution to building long term stability.  

And, yea , I think you nailed it.   Holding each accountable.  Fighting to the whistle.   Calling out laziness at practice.   Competing everywhere.   All that is where culture impacts an organization.

• Pie 7

Listening to Canales talk about Evero, he WANTS him to be here and said he would be a big part of what they’re gonna do. I think that was Canales putting it out there publicly to get Evero to stay

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Culture isn't the solution to the team being better next year.  

But it is the solution to building long term stability.  

And, yea , I think you nailed it.   Holding each accountable.  Fighting to the whistle.   Calling out laziness at practice.   Competing everywhere.   All that is where culture impacts an organization.

…and these are things a RAS score or analytics cannot measure 

I feel RAS is part of the puzzle but tape don’t lie…

1 hour ago, CRA said:

well, that's an example of why I think he is being overrated around here.   Because in reality, we were nowhere close to a top 5 defense last year. 

32nd in takeaways

29th in points allowed

middle of the road on 3rd down %

that yardage stat isn't telling a complete story. 

We need a new culture.  And we are forcing are new HC.....to inherit a lot of the old.   I still think a clean slate is the best way to change the culture. 

So how much worse of a hire does this make canales, given what his offense did against evero?