• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Introductory Press Conference

3 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Joe Person asked the hardest question to Dan Morgan.

Asked about how they keep using "alignment" and if that's so important because of what happened last year with the reports of the coaching staff being fractured and friction all the way up to ownership level.

Yea that made more sense.  Dan was at least here last year.  There are some hard questions that he could definitely answer.  Canales though,  that was pointless.  

1 minute ago, Paa Langfart said:

Caldwell is part of the staff and evero is staying?  Anyone doubt for a minute that Tepper still has his fingers in everything ?

It's possible but I don't think those two names prove anything.

I don't think Evero was involved with that.  From Person's article, it was offensive staff.   All the defensive guys were on the same team with each other.

Canales clearly wants him to stay.  Doesn't sound like it's a Tepper mandate.

And Caldwell's character never struck me as the kind of guy to be involved in that.  And I think his position as senior analyst or whatever kept him out of the day to day muck.

• Pie 1

48 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Culture isn't the solution to the team being better next year.  

But it is the solution to building long term stability.  

And, yea , I think you nailed it.   Holding each accountable.  Fighting to the whistle.   Calling out laziness at practice.   Competing everywhere.   All that is where culture impacts an organization.

Intuitively I get what people mean about culture as a concept.  It just seems like something that's virtually impossible to evaluate before establishing the prerequisite foundation of a talented roster that's able to compete in the NFL.  You could pair the absolute best most elite coaching staff with an NFL roster full of Huddlers, and it'd still IMO be possible to have an 0-16 worst NFL team in history but with a strong ideal culture that everyone is looking for.  We could hold each other accountable, fight to the whistle, call out laziness in practice, compete everywhere, but just suck cause we're simply not good enough.  Then people on the internet would be complaining that we're wholly lacking in culture, when behind the scenes that couldn't be further from the truth.

I just think it's quite nebulous and murky to try and separate culture issues from talent issues.  Maybe you guys have seen articles or have access to information that I have not seen, but I haven't seen anything to confirm to me that our locker room was not holding each other accountable or calling out laziness in practice.  I have however seen enough confirmation that our roster just was not talented to compete. 

It just feels like a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" situation where the end product sucked, therefore everything down to the individual component level must have sucked.  I get that perspective as a fan, but I'd hope the actual people in charge would take a more rational and nuanced approach (since they are well-informed on every detail behind the scenes that we are not privy to) in sifting through the trash last year and picking out some positive assets to retain.  If they do so and deem Evero to be one of those positive assets that they would like to keep, then I'm okay with that.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Caldwell is part of the staff and evero is staying?  Anyone doubt for a minute that Tepper still has his fingers in everything ?

The proof will be in the pudding. Once we get on a few games losing streak, and he and Mrs Tepper are out there watching practice, we will be able to tell. Don't forget he said he reserves the right to veto whatever and whenever.

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Intuitively I get what people mean about culture as a concept.  It just seems like something that's virtually impossible to evaluate before establishing the prerequisite foundation of a talented roster that's able to compete in the NFL.  You could pair the absolute best most elite coaching staff with an NFL roster full of Huddlers, and it'd still IMO be possible to have an 0-16 worst NFL team in history but with a strong ideal culture that everyone is looking for.  We could hold each other accountable, fight to the whistle, call out laziness in practice, compete everywhere, but just suck cause we're simply not good enough.  Then people on the internet would be complaining that we're wholly lacking in culture, when behind the scenes that couldn't be further from the truth.

I just think it's quite nebulous and murky to try and separate culture issues from talent issues.  Maybe you guys have seen articles or have access to information that I have not seen, but I haven't seen anything to confirm to me that our locker room was not holding each other accountable or calling out laziness in practice.  I have however seen enough confirmation that our roster just was not talented to compete. 

It just feels like a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" situation where the end product sucked, therefore everything down to the individual component level must have sucked.  I get that perspective as a fan, but I'd hope the actual people in charge would take a more rational and nuanced approach (since they are well-informed on every detail behind the scenes that we are not privy to) in sifting through the trash last year and picking out some positive assets to retain.  If they do so and deem Evero to be one of those positive assets that they would like to keep, then I'm okay with that.

You are 1000% correct.  Talent is king.

The difference between a successful team and non successful teams is how that talent thrives and grows there.  A lot of it has to do with coaching and X's and O's.  But if a talented player is drafted and goes to an organization that doesn't have the culture that meshes with him and his personality, it's going to show.  

Brian Burns seems to be an example of that guy.  I think he's a good player but he is obviously not the kind of player that we are wanting to build around (from our view externally).  Maybe he goes to a place where the culture matches him more; let stars be stars and the other guys do the dirty work.  And he may end up with 12 sacks as a Ram or something.

It's definitely a buzz word but it's a very real thing.   I think it's a difference between the Army and the Marine Corps.   The Marines have a very different culture than the Army.  They start out recruiting the same people but the ones that end up choosing the Marines typically are the ones that have something to prove with a chip on their shoulder.   

Same thing can apply to draft picks and free agents.   Two players grade very closely but one of them has that attitude of "grinding" and loving to compete.  You choose the guy that matches you.  

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I disagree.   I get what youre saying but you want to build a new culture to start the rebuild.  You have a blank slate to get guys who buy in and enforce the culture.

I get what you're saying as well, but I would suggest the head coach pretty much solely dictates the culture.  Why can't Evero buy into and enforce Canales' culture, just like a Frankie Luvu or Derrick Brown or Bryce Young can buy into a new HC's culture?  I don't think there's anything unique about a DC that would preclude him from buying into a new culture like any individual player.  If they do decide to keep Evero, then I'm assuming that's confirmation that he does in fact buy into Canales' culture, otherwise I think they'd for sure drop him.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I get what you're saying as well, but I would suggest the head coach pretty much solely dictates the culture.  Why can't Evero buy into and enforce Canales' culture, just like a Frankie Luvu or Derrick Brown or Bryce Young can buy into a new HC's culture?  I don't think there's anything unique about a DC that would preclude him from buying into a new culture like any individual player.  If they do decide to keep Evero, then I'm assuming that's confirmation that he does in fact buy into Canales' culture, otherwise I think they'd for sure drop him.

What is Canales culture? Partying and sleeping around while his wife and kids are at home?  Oh never mind, he confessed and wrote a book so all good now 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 11

50 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Agree 100%.  Seen it written by multiple guys in the know that the reason our d was ranked as high was the opposing teams didn't need to run the score up due to our pathetic offense.  They could very comfortably sit on a small lead.

Yes, cos the NFL is certainly known as being merciful...