• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

4 hours ago, 0kBoomer said:

There is a lot of trash about Bryce’s arm here. Let’s not forget CAN sling it. 

He doesn’t have a Josh Allen rocket arm. He doesn’t need it. 

He has all the arm strength needed to be successful. What he needs is a pocket he can actually step up in and receivers who can get separation. 

There is a lot of trash about he could sling it in college too. Or there was a year ago. Not so much now, most have run that college film route and retired it because it is useless compared to his NFL tape. 

What you will probably be able to see in those though, are bad OL and bad WRs and bad Reich and I am probably forgetting something. Point is, Bryce will not be named. 

40 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

It's going to be a long offseason.

Right on, brother.  I put off mock drafting as long as I could because it makes the off season longer.  I broke down before Thanksgiving and dove into the Mock Draft Simulator 24 pool.  Now I have to tread water for 5 months until free agency and the draft.

I used to go to OTAs every year--not camp--too hot and too many people.  I think I will go this year, just to see these players up close again. 

1 hour ago, jamos14 said:

Then why not try to find some of the positives in his game instead of consistently tearing him down or anybody else that supports him?

Because at this time in his current form I saw few positives above replacement level worth noting. A couple of throws late in the season, an ability to take a lot of sacks, and that's about it. We'll see what this coming season holds, but it's not like he's getting taller or getting a new arm. Only being on the field will show if he can go beyond poor-man's Teddy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

49 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Young just completed a historically bad season and folks are still chastising us and saying he isn't a problem. It's going to be a long offseason 

Seriously- Young's season is historically bad according to what ?  The results?  His stats?  Not even close.   I have posted this several times.  What would you want a team to do if their rookie QB completed 38% of his passes and threw 6 TDs and 24 interceptions?  What if that QB threw a pick every 9 passes?  A #1 overall pick, mind you, who went to a bad situation.

You would have cut him.  This team surrounded him with a great OL and weapons to throw to.

This guy went on to win 4 Super Bowls. twice Super Bowl MVP.  Three pro bowls,  and a league MVP award.  The people who wanted him run out of town on a rail after his rookie year, kinda shut up after that.

And he wears a yellow jacket. 

Edited by MHS831

1 hour ago, Stingray3030 said:

OK - ya'll need to stop using your eyes and assuming the statistics align if you are gonna say stuff like this...worst ever?  He wasn't even the worst this season...among 2023 rookies here are his actual ranks:

Int % - 3rd

Comp % - 3rd

Yd/gm - 5th

QBR - 4th

Rating - 4th

He was consistently above guys like Levis, O'Connell, Browning in many of these categories with WAY worse talent around him.....yet he still wasn't overall the worst rookie QB this year.  Insane to say something like "one of the statistically worst ever".  Wasn't great at all....but far from worst or even bad.

Come on, dude. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-of-bryce-youngs-rookie-season

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Because at this time in his current form I saw few positives above replacement level worth noting. A couple of throws late in the season, an ability to take a lot of sacks, and that's about it. We'll see what this coming season holds, but it's not like he's getting taller or getting a new arm. Only being on the field will show if he can go beyond poor-man's Teddy.

Alot of truth there - but the positives are there too if you are objective in my opinion.  Here are a few:

- We only had 2 wins - and in both he straight up LEAD us to victory with great plays.  Both his feet and arm

- His INT % was only 1.9% - tied for 14th with the worst WR separation in the league and losing literally every game.  Only 3 picks his last 9 games.

- Everyone is scared of his size/health - he was sacked 62 times, 2nd most in the league by ALOT, and only missed 1 game

All of that is above average for a rookie QB - we could focus on that more.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

At least tag an actual data driven article - this is an opinion piece.  There aren't even reference for the vague statistical references it does have.  You could spend a little more time on your random Google search

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Alot of truth there - but the positives are there too if you are objective in my opinion.  Here are a few:

- We only had 2 wins - and in both he straight up LEAD us to victory with great plays.  Both his feet and arm

- His INT % was only 1.9% - tied for 14th with the worst WR separation in the league and losing literally every game.  Only 3 picks his last 9 games.

- Everyone is scared of his size/health - he was sacked 62 times, 2nd most in the league by ALOT, and only missed 1 game

All of that is above average for a rookie QB - we could focus on that more.

For me/someone that perhaps has my same opinion:

I don't wholly agree with the first point, particularly not the Atlanta game due to some defensive choices they made, but am not having that discussion again. In my eyes he played about one truly good complete half of football all year, and that was the second half vs Green Bay. Any QB can do that, e.g. Kyle Allen winning his first 5 starts.

I don't really care about the second point considering how few yards he threw for and that majority of his throws were at/behind the LOS for a chunk of the season. Guys withh similar rates like Teddy, Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, etc, aren't winning Super Bowls. That doesn't mean make stupid throws, but low interception pecentage is only impressive on teams scoring points and consistently driving the ball.

I acknowledged the third point as a positive, but like any other player it shouldn't be for Bryce or any other QB. The idea is to not have to test their durability, but it does help.

None of this is paticulaly encouraging above replacement level, as I mentioned before. We're going to get another season of Bryce though, so maybe 2024 somehow looks signficiantly different.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1

10 minutes ago, KSpan said:

For me/someone that perhaps has my same opinion:

I don't wholly agree with the first point, particularly not the Atlanta game due to some defensive choices they made, but am not having that discussion again. In my eyes he played about one truly good complete half of football all year, and that was the second half vs Green Bay. Any QB can do that, e.g. Kyle Allen winning his first 5 starts.

I don't really care about the second point considering how few yards he threw for and that majority of his throws were at/behind the LOS for a chunk of the season. Guys withh similar rates like Teddy, Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, etc, aren't winning Super Bowls. That doesn't mean make stupid throws, but low interception pecentage is only impressive on teams scoring points and consistently driving the ball.

I acknowledged the third point as a positive, but like any other player it shouldn't be for Bryce or any other QB. The idea is to not have to test their durability, but it does help.

None of this is paticulaly encouraging above replacement level, as I mentioned before. We're going to get another season of Bryce though, so maybe 2024 somehow looks signficiantly different.

Great response - I appreciate the viewpoint.  This is the tough part of statistics - you state results and then we both have different views of what is the major influence of those results.  I wish it was easier to prove.  But I firmly believe alot of Bryce's issues were caused by one of the worst OLines ever, a ridiculously horrible coaching situation, a complete lack of talent around him, and a rookie season.  I say that to say I believe fixing those would make a huge leap forward for him and then we would truly know what we have...I just put alot more weight into those factors causing bad play instead of him being the cause.  I'm not saying we didn't see alot of bad footwork, bad decisions on fooled coverages, less than top tier arm strength, and holding the ball too much...it was still painful to watch.

• Beer 1