• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sports Agency telling players not to take cognitive tests before draft.

19 hours ago, Shotgun said:

One thing is for sure, I would never use a high pick on a QB that didn't throw at the combine.    

I remember back when Cam was in the draft he was told not to participate in combine but he wanted to compete that bad so he did. Also kuechly was considered one of the smartest players but his athleticism was getting questioned but after he tested so well at the combine it was a easy pick to draft in top 10. 

• Beer 2

"I'm a football player not a test taker".

Very apt words to look back on.

Competive teams draft football players not accommodating dinner guests that the wife of the owner is smitten with.

In the end all the in between stuff is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what the draft boards said. The Texans felt just fine about CJ Stroud based on his tape and his combine. Whereas apparently the Panthers front office and even some prominent former Panthers thought he had inferior football IQ and subpar leadership. This should be a very hard lesson learned to not just the Panthers as a franchise but to the fans not to get caught up in all the blovating from talking heads.

• Pie 3

18 hours ago, Mage said:

Why do people continue to act as if the test hurt Stroud's stock?  He went 2nd overall.  Bryce was generally considered the frontrunner long before the test came out (although yes some people had Stroud over him, but nobody changed their mind about that because of some test).  And there is nothing at all to suggest the test played any role in who the Panthers preferred first.  

There were literally people on this board who were all about Stroud until that test and then hopped firmly on the Bryce bandwagon. Now if you’re saying no decision makers’ minds were changed? Sure that’s possible

3 hours ago, Martin said:

Completely disagree (which is ok) that Tepper sold Young to the org. Fitt loved him for years and it has been reported over and over that the whole org was sold on him. But I agree that Tepper was probably ecstatic that his preferred face of the franchise was the same player pushed by the GM and coach.

It’s still just a completely unproven theory that Tepper even preferred Young at all. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

There were literally people on this board who were all about Stroud until that test and then hopped firmly on the Bryce bandwagon. Now if you’re saying no decision makers’ minds were changed? Sure that’s possible

the threads are out there but as a rule we cannot bump but you are 100% right and couple that with Teppers words about distribution, not need wrs, his love of analytics etc it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know how things went down.

• Beer 1

47 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I remember back when Cam was in the draft he was told not to participate in combine but he wanted to compete that bad so he did. Also kuechly was considered one of the smartest players but his athleticism was getting questioned but after he tested so well at the combine it was a easy pick to draft in top 10. 

Yeah, if you have Cam or Luke traits you're crazy not to go show them off.

A lot is made of Luke's intelligence but I think a lot of folks forget that he was an ELITE athlete. If you send coaches into a room to build a prototype NFL MLB, out walks Luke Kuechly.

Screenshot_20240217-131601.thumb.png.de51f39d5e9c26d9b2fbe603de2e4740.png

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Plenty of guys who have run subpar 40s have had great careers. The pre-draft process isn't about proving anything, it's about maximizing your draft stock. It's not about fear, it's all about showing your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses.

Agreed. Agents want their clients to get as much money as possible, which means get drafted as high as possible. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

This is an online internet forum.  You know how many wild opinions are posted on this site?  

Fans on a message board (who represent a very small minority) /=/ NFL front offices.

How about this.  Name me one legit draft analyst who switched up on Bryce/Stroud because of the cognitive test.  Just one is all I ask for.  Someone who had Stroud above Bryce, then switched solely because of the cognitive test.  

Edited by Mage
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, Mage said:

This is an online internet forum.  You know how many wild opinions are posted on this site?  

Fans on a message board (who represent a very small minority) /=/ NFL front offices.

How about this.  Name me one legit draft analyst who switched up on Bryce/Stroud because of the cognitive test.  Just one is all I ask for.  Someone who had Stroud above Bryce, then switched solely because of the cognitive test.  

I mean, you said no one. So the possibility that you didn’t actually mean no one is why threw the last part in. I have no way of knowing people’s reasoning (not to mention there’s no such thing as a legit draft analyst imo. They’re pretty much all hacks.). And even if someone switched their reason solely because of the S2 they wouldn’t admit it. 

• The D 1