• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting Crunch Time for the Panthers and Brian Burns

45catfan

What to do with Burns?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Burns should be

• Frachised tagged
    • Transitional tagged
    • Re-singed to a top 5 Edge contract
    • Traded for draft capital or player(s)
    • Let test free agency and if signed away, at least get a high comp pick in 2025

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s not figuring in the the players they replace on the top 51 cutoff. That’s 5.4M-5.7M. Which is subtracted from the the 6.5M. They will need about 1M to pay draft class. Picks 5-7 would be cheaper than anyone they replace. 

It is top 51 if you can read the far right figure. Only the picks 2,3,4 "count" and the signing bonus of 5 and 6 count. Well the yearly bonus rate. Its 4,116,387. Add in the signing bonus of UDFAs adds a few thousand. I think the limit is for SB UDFAs is 160,000 or it maybe 225,000. Rules change yearly I dont know what the current cap for them is. 

Still 4mill + 22mill = Not enough for anyone else, including injuries, PS, FAs. Ive always heard smart teams want at min 10-8mill for just in-season injuries. Thats why burns team holds the cards, team needs burns to do a couple favors and burns wants a couple million extra to help the panthers. 

heres the link- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

3/4 form the bottom, if youre having issues reading that pic I had. 

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I completely agree. The tag is too risky for this team. Fitterer really screwed this team up while he was here. Now the team is forced to negotiate a contract for someone else if they even hope to trade him. I just hope there are teams out there that by into the hype and take him off our hands. I just fear the team is blinded by their own overestimated evaluation of him and give him a massive contract that he will never live up to. 

I would like to trust Morgan in this.

If he's honest about only having Dawgs on this team, Burns will be gone one day or another.

If he's just playing lip service, Burns will be back getting paid big time.

This is the test.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

24 minutes ago, Basbear said:

It is top 51 if you can read the far right figure. Only the picks 2,3,4 "count" and the signing bonus of 5 and 6 count. Well the yearly bonus rate. Its 4,116,387. Add in the signing bonus of UDFAs adds a few thousand. I think the limit is for SB UDFAs is 160,000 or it maybe 225,000. Rules change yearly I dont know what the current cap for them is. 

Still 4mill + 22mill = Not enough for anyone else, including injuries, PS, FAs. Ive always heard smart teams want at min 10-8mill for just in-season injuries. Thats why burns team holds the cards, team needs burns to do a couple favors and burns wants a couple million extra to help the panthers. 

heres the link- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

3/4 form the bottom, if youre having issues reading that pic I had. 

Then explain how a player with a 1.8M cap hit replacing a player with a 915k salary(as the lowest 8 players above the 51 cutoff do) is the same amount if that’s what you’re referring to? Same with 3rd and 4th. And is it indicating that they only have to pay the signing bonus and no base salary on the last 3. 6 go on, 6 come off. 

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Then explain how a player with a 1.8M cap hit replacing a player with a 915k salary(as the lowest 8 players above the 51 cutoff do) is the same amount if that’s what you’re referring to? Same with 3rd and 4th. And is it indicating that they only have to pay the signing bonus and no base salary on the last 3. 6 go on, 6 come off. 

Picks in rounds 2,3,4 are simply more than the 51st. Normally the cut off point for most 51st is around 900,000. I dont know what you are asking, sportac list both the cap and 51st cap numbers. Best I know lots guys have the 51st number. 

20 mil when he wants 30?

Do. It. 

Time for hardball.

If I am Dan Morgan I ask him if he thinks Tepper cares about 20 million when there is a point to be made about his football team. He will know the answer.

I tell him, pick a team. You want to go there, you play your ass off under the tag this year and we will tag and trade you next year to that team. And we will be easy to deal with.

Your alternative is we tag you and if we feel like you are not giving us 110% at any time, you will sit for the year. There will be no trade. We will tag you again and you will sit for that entire season as well. It will truly be “a contract year”.

Edited by strato

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

good question.  I am torn.

I would be torn if he was asking for something between 20-23 mil per year, but because he wants top money, I'm inclined to ship him out to the highest bidder without any hand wringing.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Basbear said:

Picks in rounds 2,3,4 are simply more than the 51st. Normally the cut off point for most 51st is around 900,000. I dont know what you are asking, sportac list both the cap and 51st cap numbers. Best I know lots guys have the 51st number. 

1.8M for 2nd round pick. How can you replace a player making 900k but the cap difference number stays the same at 1.8M? You’re replacing 6 players that were making 5.4M with 6 that are making 6.5M. Simple math. Have no clue what they even mean with those numbers. Wouldn’t be the first time Sportrac screwed up numbers. 

How are they making 86K as a cap hit for 2024? That’s not possible. 

Top pass rusher on the team. Period. 

2 most important players are the quarterback, and players that get to the quarterback.  

There is literally no way we could replace him this year.  May not be able to replace him next year either. 

Doesn't matter what talent we add to the team if we can't get to the quarterback.   Without him we don't have 1 true starting quality pass rusher. 

I pray a resolution is found that includes him remaining with the team.  I also pray we get him some real help.

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Pie 1

13 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

So?  How many of those sacks had an impact on the outcome of the game? 0. That is his impact on the game. Matches his jersey number. Brown is who teams scheme against.  

When is the last time Brown has had an impact on the outcome of the game?

Man, your arguments are weak Jon. 

No 1 player, regardless oh how bad ass or not he is, can win a game in football.  

5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

When is the last time Brown has had an impact on the outcome of the game?

Man, your arguments are weak Jon. 

No 1 player, regardless oh how bad ass or not he is, can win a game in football.  

I'd say leading the league in tackles for a DT is doing his part. You're right one player does not make the defense. Just as one player does not make an offense.  Each player is expected to do their part and contribute their all on game day. On defense Brown is our best. Burns comes in at 11th in the effort and contribution to the defense.  Does that explain it?

• Flames 2

5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Just ti clarify, I am not saying to over pay him to retain him. 

Although I do believe many of you just want Buns gone. 

I admit to wanting to use that money on players that can and will contribute something on game day. This team is in no way shape or form ready to hand out large contracts to any player.  The team is too devoid of talent for that. On top of that they want to sign an underperforming player to a massive long term contract that he hasn't come close to earning.  The insanity continues i see.

julian weighs in on burns today.  All in all the situation is pretty bleak and totally mismanaged.  Holy fug fat fitterer was horrible at his job

cliff notes: best case is to figure out a deal, the tag is going to be expensive in regards to our cap and letting him walk would suck but would be easier to sign free agents and rework other deals

• Beer 1