• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I hope Morgan is the Answer...

Johnstonny

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

I think "hope" is a more accurate way to state this.  We have no basis to think he was a dissenting voice, but we can hope that he was.  That pretty much sums up Dan Morgan for better or worse: Hope.

Yes it's speculation but despite the well deserved hate I'm working with the theory that Tepper isn't abjectly stupid.  This would require Morgan having been more right than wrong.

He's got to hit on both fronts

- Get the right culture installed with him and Canales

- Get the right players, not just for the culture, but talent, development.  This is the NFL, it's ultimately about the X's and O's

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Ditto. I didn’t like the hire because he’s been Fitterer’s right hand man through some horrible decisions. I was hoping for someone who’s been involved in several solid drafts.

Hopefully, he proves us wrong but there was literally nothing you can look at in his assistant GM role here that gives you hope.

Here is my positive spin.  A while back, I was an assistant principal.  I was an extension of the principal, even though I shared my contrarian views frequently.  I was rarely heard, and the principal expected me to enforce her decisions.  I did.  When she was demoted, the interview committee basically held it against me that I worked under her.  I remember saying, "I learned a lot from her about how a principal allows their egos to take over, how they become blinded by politics, and how they should listen to their subordinates with more purpose.  If you think success is the only teacher or that I will pattern my leadership after a model I know to be broken, then you need to start asking me specific questions about what advice I provided that was not accepted.  I was never insubordinate, however, and it seems that you expected me to be so."   They did not offer me the job, but it did reveal their bias.  I wonder if Morgan faced the same obstacles--with Tepper getting involved, Fitterer would listen to his boss and not his apprentice. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Here is my positive spin.  A while back, I was an assistant principal.  I was an extension of the principal, even though I shared my contrarian views frequently.  I was rarely heard, and the principal expected me to enforce her decisions.  I did.  When she was demoted, the interview committee basically held it against me that I worked under her.  I remember saying, "I learned a lot from her about how a principal allows their egos to take over, how they become blinded by politics, and how they should listen to their subordinates with more purpose.  If you think success is the only teacher or that I will pattern my leadership after a model I know to be broken, then you need to start asking me specific questions about what advice I provided that was not accepted.  I was never insubordinate, however, and it seems that you expected me to be so."   They did not offer me the job, but it did reveal their bias.  I wonder if Morgan faced the same obstacles--with Tepper getting involved, Fitterer would listen to his boss and not his apprentice. 

We’ll find out but the negative spin is that Morgan was installed to placate fans as a former beloved Panther and to ensure Young would get more time like Fitt and Tepper wanted. Kind of like we’ll continue the plan but Fitt has to take one for the team.

Funny because it doesn’t matter which is true, as long we can draft well. Heck, it doesn’t matter if Morgan was overruled by bad Fitt if we can’t draft well. This isn’t the Bad News Bears movie. If we don’t improve the talent by a lot, we aren’t magically winning anything regardless if Morgan wanted Stroud, Tank Dell and was all for trading Burns to the Rams.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

We’ll find out but the negative spin is that Morgan was installed to placate fans as a former beloved Panther and to ensure Young would get more time like Fitt and Tepper wanted. Kind of like we’ll continue the plan but Fitt has to take one for the team.

Funny because it doesn’t matter which is true, as long we can draft well. Heck, it doesn’t matter if Morgan was overruled by bad Fitt if we can’t draft well. This isn’t the Bad News Bears movie. If we don’t improve the talent by a lot, we aren’t magically winning anything regardless if Morgan wanted Stroud, Tank Dell and was all for trading Burns to the Rams.

We are at rock bottom talent wise... only direction is up. He can't possibly fix it 2 years... I figure if he stands up to Dipper he'll be gone in a year and a half and we'll still be stuck with the same problem. Morgan has been around the block and knows football. We can only wait and see how he does.... but if Dipper is leaning on him we'll know because we've experienced his BS for 6 long hard incompetent years.

• Pie 1

I do too. I was rather underwhelmed by the hire. I'm not reading much into anything Dan or Dave Canales are saying at the combine or the upcoming draft at this point. Been there done that buying into fluff and hype. The Panthers social media has bamboozled us time and time again. Talk is cheap. I'm all about that action. Show me results.

spacer.png

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, frankw said:

I do too. I was rather underwhelmed by the hire. I'm not reading much into anything Dan or Dave Canales are saying at the combine or the upcoming draft at this point. Been there done that buying into fluff and hype. The Panthers social media has bamboozled us time and time again. Talk is cheap. I'm all about that action. Show me results.

spacer.png

Yup... been having the Mary Poppins attitude for the last 6 years... Sht don't start happinin ima act a hard fool... more than usual.

• Beer 1

Dan Morgan is one of the best LBs to play for the Panthers. With our history at that position, that’s high praise. He was a DUDE. 

I believe in his talent evaluation skills. He knows what good football players are supposed to look like. I don’t see him falling for empty hype. 

I’m in just straight ‘what is there to lose’ mode. I hope he’ll be good at backing Tepper off. It’s his only hope. 

20 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Dan Morgan is one of the best LBs to play for the Panthers. With our history at that position, that’s high praise. He was a DUDE. 

I believe in his talent evaluation skills. He knows what good football players are supposed to look like. I don’t see him falling for empty hype. 

I’m in just straight ‘what is there to lose’ mode. I hope he’ll be good at backing Tepper off. It’s his only hope. 

What do you believe in? What examples of his player evaluations are awesome? He’s been with the Panthers since 2021 and nothing good has happened draft, trade or FA wise. I don’t care at all that he was a good LB here. I have seen any NFL teams lining up to have Kuechly or TD as their GM.

I’ll hope for the best, but there is nothing in the past three years that points to Morgan being a good talent evaluator.