• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR Diontae Johnson to the Panthers

On 3/13/2024 at 3:29 PM, HardcoreHokie said:

What are they saying about what they got in return - Donte Jackson?

We're cool with it.  We understand he will be our #1 and can tackle. But we know he'll let up big plays.

We know there's an injury a couple years ago.  And we hope it doesn't happen again. 

But with him reworking his contract to only 4.75 million, it makes it all OK to us now.  

Screenshot_20240318_105440_Chrome.jpg.6898608599f91d1231b3ac8c60f79dfb.jpg

• Beer 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:53 PM, HardcoreHokie said:

Exactly.

We won that trade and Steelers fans will admit it if pressed.

Ummm you must have not been our site or searching x. There's no Steeler fan saying that. 

1. We worked Jackson contract to 4.75 million. Screenshot_20240318_105440_Chrome.jpg.10ad88eab9f65bccad71897a251f9d25.jpg

2. We understand Jackson had an injury a couple years ago, but played a full season last year.  

3. We know he can be a #1, but understand he let's up big plays. 

4. We needed a corner bad.  

but Johnson.....

1. dude was a locker room cancer. 

2. He watched a fumble happen in front of him and walked away. 

3. While he can be flashy, he also can make you hit your head against the table with his running back 5 yards after a catch. ..... much like y'all say that Jackson let's up big plays. 

4. Johnson contract was not worth it. And his problems and his locker room issue was going to get him cut regardless. ..... while y'all were probably going to cut Jackson as well, due to his contract. But we worked his contract down to 4.75. 

Jackson is not a CB 1. He can be a CB 2, but is very streaky and has a little injury history. A streaky CB 2 isn’t worth what we were playing him. Morgan is also looking to revamp the whole culture for this team. 

1 hour ago, steelhead said:

Ummm you must have not been our site or searching x. There's no Steeler fan saying that. 

1. We worked Jackson contract to 4.75 million. Screenshot_20240318_105440_Chrome.jpg.10ad88eab9f65bccad71897a251f9d25.jpg

2. We understand Jackson had an injury a couple years ago, but played a full season last year.  

3. We know he can be a #1, but understand he let's up big plays. 

4. We needed a corner bad.  

but Johnson.....

1. dude was a locker room cancer. 

2. He watched a fumble happen in front of him and walked away. 

3. While he can be flashy, he also can make you hit your head against the table with his running back 5 yards after a catch. ..... much like y'all say that Jackson let's up big plays. 

4. Johnson contract was not worth it. And his problems and his locker room issue was going to get him cut regardless. ..... while y'all were probably going to cut Jackson as well, due to his contract. But we worked his contract down to 4.75. 

I don't see "problems" with Johnson other than his "locker room issue." He's a damned good receiver for 10 mil.

58 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Jackson is not a CB 1. He can be a CB 2, but is very streaky and has a little injury history. A streaky CB 2 isn’t worth what we were playing him. Morgan is also looking to revamp the whole culture for this team. 

I think Johnson is a slightly above average CB1 when on the field, definitely average. Now I think he's streaky, and I do suspect that he'd make a better CB2. I also think that part of that streakiness is due to him being hurt, what seems like more than a average, during games and not necessarily for whole games, but we do know that he has been out whole games as well. I certainly think that he's worth 4.75 mil.

I don't really think there is a definitive winner of the trade on paper. I mean, if someone cares enough to see the outcome after the next season, perhaps we'll see who "won" this trade then. On it's face, I think that people tend to appreciate offensive skill positions more, but serious football people realize that CB is very important. Moving up in the draft can be very important as well (even late). But at the end of the day, I think that both fan bases should be content. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, steelhead said:

We're cool with it.  We understand he will be our #1 and can tackle. But we know he'll let up big plays.

We know there's an injury a couple years ago.  And we hope it doesn't happen again. 

But with him reworking his contract to only 4.75 million, it makes it all OK to us now.  

Screenshot_20240318_105440_Chrome.jpg.6898608599f91d1231b3ac8c60f79dfb.jpg

Donte is a good CB, not a great one. But he is definitely a good CB. 

He is an absolute steal for $4.75M per season though. Just understand that he'll get hurt and miss a few plays every game (usually after he gives up a big play), but he's a willing tackler and fights to separate the ball from the receiver. 

24 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't see "problems" with Johnson other than his "locker room issue." He's a damned good receiver for 10 mil.

I think Johnson is a slightly above average CB1 when on the field, definitely average. Now I think he's streaky, and I do suspect that he'd make a better CB2. I also think that part of that streakiness is due to him being hurt, what seems like more than a average, during games and not necessarily for whole games, but we do know that he has been out whole games as well. I certainly think that he's worth 4.75 mil.

I don't really think there is a definitive winner of the trade on paper. I mean, if someone cares enough to see the outcome after the next season, perhaps we'll see who "won" this trade then. On it's face, I think that people tend to appreciate offensive skill positions more, but serious football people realize that CB is very important. Moving up in the draft can be very important as well (even late). But at the end of the day, I think that both fan bases should be content. 

It’s deceptive because teams didn’t need to pass on us last year, they simply ran the ball, but whenever they needed they could pass on Jackson or any of our secondary. The random backup in Jacksonville cooked us. Jackson isn’t a CB1. You would not want him chasing WR1s all year. Horn is our CB1, he just can’t stay healthy. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s deceptive because teams didn’t need to pass on us last year, they simply ran the ball, but whenever they needed they could pass on Jackson or any of our secondary. The random backup in Jacksonville cooked us. Jackson isn’t a CB1. You would not want him chasing WR1s all year. Horn is our CB1, he just can’t stay healthy. 

Well if that's the definition of a CB1, sure (I should've correlated this to a QB1 vs QB2). I just mean that he's a starter. All that Pit needs is a CB2.

• Pie 1

Just now, top dawg said:

Well if that's the definition of a CB1, sure (I should've correlated this to a QB1 vs QB2). I just mean that he's a starter. All that Pit needs is a CB2.

Oh he is a solid starter.  Could possibly be great as a NB honestly.  Yeah Pit already has Porter Jr they don't need a CB1.  

Steeler fan here.....

I hope Diontae Johnson turns out for you guys, I really do. Looking at this trade, I hope it works out for both teams. Donte Jackson has a shot at being our #2 corner. If that happens, I'm hoping the Steelers pass rush helps him and can cut down the time he has to cover. I think the Panthers had, like, mid-20s in sacks last year. We got 19 from TJ Watt alone. Cam Heyward missed most of the season which hurt the blindside pass rush and I think they ended up with mid-40s. They added Patrick Queen and he is an excellent blitzing linebacker. I'm guessing they climb back into the 50s this year and that pressure should help the corners, specifically Jackson. Add in they beefed up the safety spot and Minkah should be back, Jackson might not have to cover as long.

As for DJ, can't say I am sad to see him go. I wish they had not given him that extension. He might separate and run routes better than any WR in the NFL and that isn't an exaggeration. He is exceptionally quick in and out of his breaks and can work the sidelines really well. But, he drops some easy passes. He isn't physical. I read someone state he fights for footballs...and I haven't seen it. I've watched every game of his career. He doesn't really attack the intermediate and deep areas. He was drafted to be the Antonio Brown replacement and he is under 10 yards, but it is over 10 where AB sliced you up. And, his run after catch? If defenders are closing and you need 2 yards, he is way more likely to run sideways and give ground than he is to nut up and get those yards. It drives fans crazy. He won't run through a tackle. In fact, sometimes he just dives to the ground. Finesse receiver. He will want 120+ targets a season, give you 90+ catches if he gets them, get near 1000 yards. Don't bring in a #1 and feed that guy. We did it with Pickens and he starts pouting. Then, he takes plays off. Won't even try to block. Walks on and off the field. His attitude goes downhill fast.

Hoping that the Panthers and a new team can inject some spark into him and you get 17 good games out of him. Someone mentioned franchise tagging him, do yourself a favor and don't. If he doesn't screw you this year, he will get you soon. I would have swapped him for a partially used box of kitty litter. I've just grown tired of his antics and his on the field play isn't good enough for all the crap you get from him. Again, hope he finds new life and gets his stuff right, but I'm not missing him. 

This feels like two teams swapping used cars and both thinking the model they got is a classic and we might have just gotten a pair of Yugos. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

10 minutes ago, TMC said:

Steeler fan here.....

I hope Diontae Johnson turns out for you guys, I really do. Looking at this trade, I hope it works out for both teams. Donte Jackson has a shot at being our #2 corner. If that happens, I'm hoping the Steelers pass rush helps him and can cut down the time he has to cover. I think the Panthers had, like, mid-20s in sacks last year. We got 19 from TJ Watt alone. Cam Heyward missed most of the season which hurt the blindside pass rush and I think they ended up with mid-40s. They added Patrick Queen and he is an excellent blitzing linebacker. I'm guessing they climb back into the 50s this year and that pressure should help the corners, specifically Jackson. Add in they beefed up the safety spot and Minkah should be back, Jackson might not have to cover as long.

As for DJ, can't say I am sad to see him go. I wish they had not given him that extension. He might separate and run routes better than any WR in the NFL and that isn't an exaggeration. He is exceptionally quick in and out of his breaks and can work the sidelines really well. But, he drops some easy passes. He isn't physical. I read someone state he fights for footballs...and I haven't seen it. I've watched every game of his career. He doesn't really attack the intermediate and deep areas. He was drafted to be the Antonio Brown replacement and he is under 10 yards, but it is over 10 where AB sliced you up. And, his run after catch? If defenders are closing and you need 2 yards, he is way more likely to run sideways and give ground than he is to nut up and get those yards. It drives fans crazy. He won't run through a tackle. In fact, sometimes he just dives to the ground. Finesse receiver. He will want 120+ targets a season, give you 90+ catches if he gets them, get near 1000 yards. Don't bring in a #1 and feed that guy. We did it with Pickens and he starts pouting. Then, he takes plays off. Won't even try to block. Walks on and off the field. His attitude goes downhill fast.

Hoping that the Panthers and a new team can inject some spark into him and you get 17 good games out of him. Someone mentioned franchise tagging him, do yourself a favor and don't. If he doesn't screw you this year, he will get you soon. I would have swapped him for a partially used box of kitty litter. I've just grown tired of his antics and his on the field play isn't good enough for all the crap you get from him. Again, hope he finds new life and gets his stuff right, but I'm not missing him. 

This feels like two teams swapping used cars and both thinking the model they got is a classic and we might have just gotten a pair of Yugos. 

Feels like an honest assessment. Ty

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Feels like an honest assessment. Ty

Agreed. That felt like a genuine take backed by experience, but what Steelers fans didn’t experience was our WR room last year. They don’t know how desperate we are for WRs who can get open. 

• Beer 1